News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: PS3 Slim and Price Cut  ( 38,405 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: PS3 Slim and Price Cut
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2010, 12:00:01 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 24, 2010, 11:55:19 AM
Quote from: Pre on February 24, 2010, 11:49:24 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 24, 2010, 11:31:27 AM
Has anyone tried a do-it-yourself fix for the PS3 YLOD?  Does this sound dangerous or legit?  http://ezinearticles.com/?PS3-Yellow-Light-Fix---Simple-Tips-to-Fix-This-Error-Today!&id=3694869

Not dangerous, it won't burn your house down.

It's a might work, might destroy your console all the way type repair.

Let me put it this way...would you give it a shot?

Have you confirmed exactly what's wrong with the system?  It would suck to try that fix and find out there was something else entirely wrong with it.

I have no idea what could be wrong with it, but most of the things I'm reading online have to do with applying heat to the system, then letting it cool.  This melts the chips to a degree, which repairs any cracks, and gets it running again.  The guy just told me that he caught the YLOD and stopped using it.  MLB The Show 09 is in the tray, too.  I haven't even tried plugging the thing in, to be honest.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 24, 2010, 12:03:14 PM
Has anyone tried a do-it-yourself fix for the PS3 YLOD?  Does this sound dangerous or legit?  http://ezinearticles.com/?PS3-Yellow-Light-Fix---Simple-Tips-to-Fix-This-Error-Today!&id=3694869

Have you confirmed exactly what's wrong with the system?  It would suck to try that fix and find out there was something else entirely wrong with it.

I have no idea what could be wrong with it, but most of the things I'm reading online have to do with applying heat to the system, then letting it cool.  This melts the chips to a degree, which repairs any cracks, and gets it running again.  The guy just told me that he caught the YLOD and stopped using it.  MLB The Show 09 is in the tray, too.  I haven't even tried plugging the thing in, to be honest.

I'd say try plugging it in and find out exactly what it's doing.  If you're going to try some fix-it-yourself method, at least make sure you're fixing the correct thing.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 24, 2010, 12:03:14 PM

Well, that's your problem right there.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
I've got a buddy who built his own PC once.  I think I might get him to help me try this:  www.playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376.  Watch teh videos.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 24, 2010, 01:20:54 PM
I've got a buddy who built his own PC once.  I think I might get him to help me try this:  www.playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376.  Watch teh videos.

There's a large gap between "built my own PC" and "can fix a motherboard."  I've built plenty of PCs, but even I'd probably be hesitant to go screwing around with the actual components on a motherboard.  And I won't watch your stupid video to find out if that's even what you have to do.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2010, 01:25:21 PM

There's a large gap between "built my own PC" and "can fix a motherboard."  I've built plenty of PCs, but even I'd probably be hesitant to go screwing around with the actual components on a motherboard.  And I won't watch your stupid video to find out if that's even what you have to do.

Well, fuck you douche.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2010, 09:31:18 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 24, 2010, 01:31:15 PM

Well, fuck you douche.

This might be the first, and likely only, time that my college degree has come up useful in a conversation
not at work.

I wouldn't do a thing that involves opening it if you're still considering warranty repairing it as opening it will
obviously void your warranty if you don't care about warranty repair, it's not like an old school tv, nothing in
there will kill you.  I also won't try and explain how crazy incorrect the statement about melting chips is. 
The nice thing about the whole overheating without opening the system thing is that there's a non-zero chance
it will get your console back to running without voiding the warranty.

The right way to do this would be with a multimeter, a nice soldering iron, and a magnifying glass.  Even then,
you're really just trying to temporarily fix a fundamental design flaw.  There's a decent chance that trying the
guide way will fuse some connections that shouldn't be fused and it'll be an unrecoverable pile of shit.  If you
do try it make sure the circuit board is level.  And try to minimize how much of the fumes you inhale.

Having opened a few ps1 and ps2's in my poor dirty pirate phase of my life to put in mod chips, it's not that
hard, take your time and watch the ribbon cables (the super thin transparent and copper colored ones), they
are crazy easy to break.  I'd guess your odds of fixing it are a bit worse than half and the odds it stays fixed for
more than 6 months is about half that again.

All that negative aside, you have a free broken ps3.  If it was me, I'd open it up and give the craziness a shot. 
Worst case you're back to your original state of no ps3 and no money spent.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 07:45:48 AM »
Quote from: Pre on February 24, 2010, 09:31:18 PM

Well, fuck you douche.

This might be the first, and likely only, time that my college degree has come up useful in a conversation
not at work.

I wouldn't do a thing that involves opening it if you're still considering warranty repairing it as opening it will
obviously void your warranty if you don't care about warranty repair, it's not like an old school tv, nothing in
there will kill you.  I also won't try and explain how crazy incorrect the statement about melting chips is. 
The nice thing about the whole overheating without opening the system thing is that there's a non-zero chance

The right way to do this would be with a multimeter, a nice soldering iron, and a magnifying glass.  Even then,
you're really just trying to temporarily fix a fundamental design flaw.  There's a decent chance that trying the
guide way will fuse some connections that shouldn't be fused and it'll be an unrecoverable pile of shit.  If you
do try it make sure the circuit board is level.  And try to minimize how much of the fumes you inhale.

Having opened a few ps1 and ps2's in my poor dirty pirate phase of my life to put in mod chips, it's not that
hard, take your time and watch the ribbon cables (the super thin transparent and copper colored ones), they
are crazy easy to break.  I'd guess your odds of fixing it are a bit worse than half and the odds it stays fixed for

All that negative aside, you have a free broken ps3.  If it was me, I'd open it up and give the craziness a shot. 

This PS3 is out of warranty.  I would be sending it off to an independent repair shop, albeit a fairly reputable operation, for $110.  The guy in the videos is pretty adamant about keeping the thing level and not moving a thing after the heating process.  Anyway, I'll take your advice to heart.  I might just save my nickels and dimes.

ETA:  I'm going under teh assumption that what the guy does in the videos is what the repair shop would do.  Is that a fair assumption?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 25, 2010, 07:45:48 AM
Quote from: Pre on February 24, 2010, 09:31:18 PM

Well, fuck you douche.

not at work.

This PS3 is out of warranty.  I would be sending it off to an independent repair shop, albeit a fairly reputable operation, for $110.  The guy in the videos is pretty adamant about keeping the thing level and not moving a thing after the heating process.  Anyway, I'll take your advice to heart.  I might just save my nickels and dimes.

ETA:  I'm going under teh assumption that what the guy does in the videos is what the repair shop would do.  Is that a fair assumption?

I still say you just try and sell it on eBay, collect your $100+ (I think you'll get at least that), and buy a new PS3.  You won't be paying much more than the $110 + shipping it'll cost to send it to that guy.  Plus, I would assume that if it's not under warranty anymore, it was one of the first batch of PS3s, meaning it's already several years old and might not last long even if it gets fixed.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »

I'd imagine yes, but in a more targeted approach then just heating the whole thing up.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2010, 07:25:48 AM »
Quote from: Pre on February 25, 2010, 09:42:04 AM

I'd imagine yes, but in a more targeted approach then just heating the whole thing up.

What I posted earlier about heating the whole PS3 up inside it's box isn't what the dude in the videos does.  The video targets four spots on the motherboard with a heat gun.  He then lets it cool, turns it over and does the other side.  Then, he puts new heating compound over the areas.  (I have no idea what any of the technical terms are, but the guy made a pretty flawless job of it.)

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
UPDATE:  I'm getting a tax return that will take care of sending it off for repair.  I'm going with PSR1, who look to be pretty legit.  Fast turnaround and all.  I even have a testimonial from a guy who used them for his repair and he said they were awesome and quick.

So, there's that.  All I need is a controller and MLB The Show 2010.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »
UPDATE, AGAIN:  The PS3 was unrepairable.  Also, my 360 died while the PS3 was away.  So, I got nothing.  I traded in a lot of my 360 shit to Game Stop while the 50% bonus was (and still is) going on.  I got $225 in credit, which is more than enough to help pay for a PS3.  I have a test to take in mid-April, so I'll just hold off on buying something new until I'm done with the test.  After that, I'm going PS3 exclusive.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 15, 2010, 10:50:01 AM
UPDATE, AGAIN:  The PS3 was unrepairable.  Also, my 360 died while the PS3 was away.  So, I got nothing.  I traded in a lot of my 360 shit to Game Stop while the 50% bonus was (and still is) going on.  I got $225 in credit, which is more than enough to help pay for a PS3.  I have a test to take in mid-April, so I'll just hold off on buying something new until I'm done with the test.  After that, I'm going PS3 exclusive.

I bet you're going to regret that decision.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on March 15, 2010, 11:00:26 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 15, 2010, 10:50:01 AM

I bet you're going to regret that decision.

Your Xbox apologism is disgusting.