News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-2010 NFL Season  ( 34,979 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-2010 NFL Season
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2009, 04:05:33 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2009, 12:27:46 PM
Quote from: MAD on October 06, 2009, 11:24:35 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 10:42:56 AM
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2009, 10:41:26 AM
Was Kyle Boller the QB that NFL scouts were raving about when he came out because he was able to kneel down on one knee at the 50 yard line and throw the ball between the goal posts? 

I thought that was Jamarcus Russell.  Or maybe Jamarcus Russell Elton Brand was the one who had scouts raving about the size of his momma's hands. 

Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Rusell.  What's the difference, really?

Jerry Krause'd.

I think that was Tyson Chandler's mom's hands.

Please don't correct me unless you're actually going to, you know, correcting me."

QuoteWe hate Duke because Elton Brand's mom had big enough hands for Jerry Krause to draft Elton, but not big enough to keep him.

*Not that I recall the joke from Andy (it was Boers and Bernstein) but that was the only Google hit that led me to such a reference.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2009, 03:51:59 PM
I just saw this earlier. I'm seriously wondering how much worse he has to get before he has a legitimate shot at supplanting Leaf as the biggest bust of all time.

Get his completion percentage into the 20s?  He's down into the 30s, so maybe it could happen.  

Really, that's stunning.  Joe Mauer gets basehits at only a slightly lower rate than Russell completes a pass.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
I just saw this earlier. I'm seriously wondering how much worse he has to get before he has a legitimate shot at supplanting Leaf as the biggest bust of all time.

Okay, if you're going to call someone a huge bust, I think you have to look at not only their career, but who the team passed up at the same position.  You'll always find guys at other positions who had more impact (such as saying you should take Calvin Johnson over JaMarcus), but you have to at least assume, on face value, that the team had committed to taking a QB (in this case).

And, as much as Leaf and Russell are terrible, terrible players. look at the options taken after them:

Leaf:
Batch
Mighty Quinn
Griese
Hasselbeck
Moreno

Russell:
Gay Quinn
Kolb
Beck
Stanton
Edwards
Stanback
Rowe
Smith
Palmer
Thigpen

Just saying that the Raiders and Chargers didn't exactly leave the next Joe Montana out there while taking their crappy QBs.

Also, pretty bacon that 3 of the guys on the '98 list ended up playing for the Bears.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 06, 2009, 04:07:44 PM

Okay, if you're going to call someone a huge bust, I think you have to look at not only their career, but who the team passed up at the same position.  You'll always find guys at other positions who had more impact (such as saying you should take Calvin Johnson over JaMarcus), but you have to at least assume, on face value, that the team had committed to taking a QB (in this case).

And, as much as Leaf and Russell are terrible, terrible players. look at the options taken after them:

Leaf:
Batch
Mighty Quinn
Griese
Hasselbeck
Moreno

Russell:
Gay Quinn
Kolb
Beck
Stanton
Edwards
Stanback
Rowe
Smith
Palmer
Thigpen

Just saying that the Raiders and Chargers didn't exactly leave the next Joe Montana out there while taking their crappy QBs.

Also, pretty bacon that 3 of the guys on the '98 list ended up playing for the Bears.

DPD to follow-up on this above, by this theory, you could certainly argue that Alex Smith was a bigger bust than Leaf or Russell, knowing that the Packers took Rodgers 23 picks later.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2009, 04:14:12 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 06, 2009, 04:05:33 PM
Was Kyle Boller the QB that NFL scouts were raving about when he came out because he was able to kneel down on one knee at the 50 yard line and throw the ball between the goal posts? 

I thought that was Jamarcus Russell.  Or maybe Jamarcus Russell Elton Brand was the one who had scouts raving about the size of his momma's hands. 

Jerry Krause'd.

Please don't correct me unless you're actually going to, you know, correcting me."

QuoteWe hate Duke because Elton Brand's mom had big enough hands for Jerry Krause to draft Elton, but not big enough to keep him.

*Not that I recall the joke from Andy (it was Boers and Bernstein) but that was the only Google hit that led me to such a reference.

Fine, that should be "correct me".

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 06, 2009, 04:12:06 PM

Leaf:
Batch
Mighty Quinn
Griese
Hasselbeck
Moreno

Russell:
Gay Quinn
Kolb
Beck
Stanton
Edwards
Stanback
Rowe
Smith
Palmer
Thigpen

DPD to follow-up on this above, by this theory, you could certainly argue that Alex Smith was a bigger bust than Leaf or Russell, knowing that the Packers took Rodgers 23 picks later.

Why not trade the pick then? Or... I dunno.... draft somebody at another position who isn't a bust? I know we're talking hindsight but your lists don't really mean anything other than the drafts were weak at QB.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2009, 04:17:03 PM »

Leaf:
Batch
Mighty Quinn
Griese
Hasselbeck
Moreno

Russell:
Gay Quinn
Kolb
Beck
Stanton
Edwards
Stanback
Rowe
Smith
Palmer
Thigpen

Charlie Batch was a good QB, and I'll fight that to my very grave. Also, Kevin Kolb has looked pretty damn good. It doesn't really matter who was coming after them though. Leaf is listed as the biggest bust of all time because he just is, even though very few people blame the Chargers for Taking him. He was a "can't miss guy". It doesn't change the fact that he sucked eggs that people thought it was the right pick at the time.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2009, 04:17:03 PM

Leaf:
Batch
Mighty Quinn
Griese
Hasselbeck
Moreno

Russell:
Gay Quinn
Kolb
Beck
Stanton
Edwards
Stanback
Rowe
Smith
Palmer
Thigpen

Charlie Batch was a good QB, and I'll fight that to my very grave. Also, Kevin Kolb has looked pretty damn good. It doesn't really matter who was coming after them though. Leaf is listed as the biggest bust of all time because he just is, even though very few people blame the Chargers for Taking him. He was a "can't miss guy". It doesn't change the fact that he sucked eggs that people thought it was the right pick at the time.

Doesn't get nearly enough credit for being an all-time bust.
Taken with the next pick.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2009, 04:14:12 PM
Quote from: MAD on October 06, 2009, 04:05:33 PM

Jerry Krause'd.

Fine, that should be "correct me".

Now THAT'S more like it.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 02:25:25 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 06, 2009, 01:40:34 PM
This thread caused me to think a bit.  LSU, for all of their winning over the last ten seasons, has turned out very few legit NFL studs.

Joe Addai, Dwayne Bowe, LaRon Landry = pretty good
Bradie James, Kevin Faulk, Eddie Kennison, Josh Reed = not bad
Jarvis Green, Devery Henderson, Randall Gay, Marcus Spears, Randall Clark, KEVIN STELTZ! = Meh

You consider first-rounders like Russell, Glenn Dorsey, Buster Davis, and Michael Clayton....appear to be big-time legitimate busts.

Here's the complete list as compiled by Football Reference.  Not particularly impressive.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/lsu/

Alan Faneca is pretty good.

He is.  I missed him.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2009, 07:19:37 AM »
Braylon to the Jets.  Wow.  He can drop balls New York and punch Yi's little buddy.

And Crabtree signed.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2009, 07:26:38 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on October 07, 2009, 07:19:37 AM
Braylon to the Jets.  Wow.  He can drop balls New York and punch Yi's little buddy.

And Crabtree signed.

Edwards to the Jets is a good move. Playing in Cleveland has more or less sapped that guy of his work ethic and will to live. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great year with the Jets. The best part about Crabtree signing is that by most reports he didn't gain a damn thing through the hold out except a 6th year, and there's no more guaranteed money in the deal now than there was in July. Nice job by the 49ers to wait that one out.

Update: Apparently the Browns got Chansi Stuckey, a special teams player, and a 3rd and 5th round pick. That's a pretty good haul.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 07, 2009, 07:26:38 AM
Braylon to the Jets.  Wow.  He can drop balls New York and punch Yi's little buddy.

And Crabtree signed.

Edwards to the Jets is a good move. Playing in Cleveland has more or less sapped that guy of his work ethic and will to live. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great year with the Jet. The best part about Crabtree signing is that by most reports he didn't gain a damn thing through the hold out except a 6th year, and there's no more guaranteed money in the deal now than there was in July. Nice job by the 49ers to wait that one out.

Update: Apparently the Browns got Chansi Stuckey, a special teams player, and a 3rd and 5th round pick. That's a pretty good haul.

Once you put on the green jersey you become teh suck. It's science.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 07, 2009, 09:21:27 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 07, 2009, 07:26:38 AM

And Crabtree signed.

Edwards to the Jets is a good move. Playing in Cleveland has more or less sapped that guy of his work ethic and will to live. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great year with the Jet. The best part about Crabtree signing is that by most reports he didn't gain a damn thing through the hold out except a 6th year, and there's no more guaranteed money in the deal now than there was in July. Nice job by the 49ers to wait that one out.

Once you put on the green jersey you become teh suck. It's science.

Mark Sanchez is a cockbag.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.