News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,660 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2805 on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2015, 10:01:28 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2015, 09:14:17 AM
I wish I could watch sports like this, I really do. I get invested in each game though, and baseball is a terrible sport to watch like that. Maybe if the Cubs had some kind of meaningful success in my life I'd feel differently, but frankly I do fret over stupid things like blowing a chance at the second wild card by scoring zero fucking runs for an entire month because my experience has taught me that I can't trust shit like "oh, well this is just the first year of a long run." Next year Bryant could tear his ACL running to first base.
I think Mark Prior and Kerry Wood just broke something in me that's going to take a lot to fix.

I probably hate the "relax, it's the first year of a long window" talk as much as anyone, but I think what I'm saying is even if you're just hyper-focused on this year alone, they're still set up really well.

That probably isn't helping you either, I realize.

I mean it is. Outside of rage during these stupid Cardinals games I'm pretty optimistic overall. As long as they end the day holding a playoff spot there's no point in raging too much about a loss. I just can't promise not to rage during said aggravating losses to the fucking Cardinals.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2806 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2015, 10:07:55 AM
I wish I could watch sports like this, I really do. I get invested in each game though, and baseball is a terrible sport to watch like that. Maybe if the Cubs had some kind of meaningful success in my life I'd feel differently, but frankly I do fret over stupid things like blowing a chance at the second wild card by scoring zero fucking runs for an entire month because my experience has taught me that I can't trust shit like "oh, well this is just the first year of a long run." Next year Bryant could tear his ACL running to first base.
I think Mark Prior and Kerry Wood just broke something in me that's going to take a lot to fix.

I probably hate the "relax, it's the first year of a long window" talk as much as anyone, but I think what I'm saying is even if you're just hyper-focused on this year alone, they're still set up really well.

I mean it is. Outside of rage during these stupid Cardinals games I'm pretty optimistic overall. As long as they end the day holding a playoff spot there's no point in raging too much about a loss. I just can't promise not to rage during said aggravating losses to the fucking Cardinals.

Well, they're going to lose three more games to the Cardinals in the next 36 hours and will still probably be in a playoff spot. But then they're going to rip off 14 of 20 against the dregs of the majors in the next few weeks, while trading for David Price at the deadline and then we can all bathe in some more joyful positive.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2807 on: July 07, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2015, 10:12:58 AM

Well, they're going to lose three more games to the Cardinals in the next 36 hours and will still probably be in a playoff spot. But then they're going to rip off 14 of 20 against the dregs of the majors in the next few weeks, while trading for David Price at the deadline and then we can all bathe in some more joyful positive.

And at some point this offense has to fucking hit, right? Right?

Right?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2808 on: July 07, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2015, 10:14:56 AM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2015, 10:12:58 AM

And at some point this offense has to fucking hit, right? Right?

Right?

Yes. It might be next year though.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2809 on: July 07, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 07, 2015, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2015, 08:50:41 AM
Related or unrelated, I've been feeling pretty zen about the Cubs lately, which I think is a product of how I can relax about them catching the Cardinals (since it won't happen) and the rest of the NL outside of the Pirates being a total shitshow. I'm probably just conserving all of my nervous energy for that stupid wild-card playoff game.

THIS. I can't imagine watching this season any other way. Perhaps they'll end up in a dogfight with some other slapdicks for the Selig Card and I'll get worked up over it in September. I'm just enjoying some SPORTZ until I'm forced to think about football again. I hope football never comes back but when it does, I'll probably watch because I'm stupid.

It's a fatalistic mindset and it's irritating and Fro Doggish as hell and I hate it about myself but if they've got any shot at the playoffs at all I want them to go balls out and make it and I will worry about next year next year, but I just can't sit back and go "oh, it's fine, it's all fine, big window we're looking at, just try to enjoy the ride." I certainly get as euphoric as anyone about the wins, I really do, and rationally I am excited about what the future holds but the fear is ever present.

I used to be like this when I was much younger.  There's a healthy pessimism that is a part of us as Chicago sports fans.  That all changed in 2010 after The Blackhawks lost game 1 to Vancouver in the second round, at home.  Those were bleak times made even bleaker when The Canucks scored the first two goals in game 2, while I was in attendance in the 300-section.  I decided right then and there that there is no reason to ever be a sports fan and be pessimistic.

Here's an example...there's no doubt in my mind that The Cubs can split the DH today and win tomorrow for a split.  Why not think this way?  I'm a Cubs fan and these guys are good.  Period.  The Cardinals don't have some magic formula.  They're good too.  But, so what?  Why not be optimistic about it?  I don't think I'm being all Pollyanna about it.  But, thinking that they'll lose three in a row to The Cardinals is just counter-intuitive.

They're, obviously, not perfect but I'll be damned if I don't think they can beat The Fucking Cardinals.

It's also much more fun being an optimistic fan, especially about a good team like these Cubs or The Hawks.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2810 on: July 07, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 07, 2015, 11:44:55 AM
Related or unrelated, I've been feeling pretty zen about the Cubs lately, which I think is a product of how I can relax about them catching the Cardinals (since it won't happen) and the rest of the NL outside of the Pirates being a total shitshow. I'm probably just conserving all of my nervous energy for that stupid wild-card playoff game.

THIS. I can't imagine watching this season any other way. Perhaps they'll end up in a dogfight with some other slapdicks for the Selig Card and I'll get worked up over it in September. I'm just enjoying some SPORTZ until I'm forced to think about football again. I hope football never comes back but when it does, I'll probably watch because I'm stupid.

It's a fatalistic mindset and it's irritating and Fro Doggish as hell and I hate it about myself but if they've got any shot at the playoffs at all I want them to go balls out and make it and I will worry about next year next year, but I just can't sit back and go "oh, it's fine, it's all fine, big window we're looking at, just try to enjoy the ride." I certainly get as euphoric as anyone about the wins, I really do, and rationally I am excited about what the future holds but the fear is ever present.

I used to be like this when I was much younger.  There's a healthy pessimism that is a part of us as Chicago sports fans.  That all changed in 2010 after The Blackhawks lost game 1 to Vancouver in the second round, at home.  Those were bleak times made even bleaker when The Canucks scored the first two goals in game 2, while I was in attendance in the 300-section.  I decided right then and there that there is no reason to ever be a sports fan and be pessimistic.

Here's an example...there's no doubt in my mind that The Cubs can split the DH today and win tomorrow for a split.  Why not think this way?  I'm a Cubs fan and these guys are good.  Period.  The Cardinals don't have some magic formula.  They're good too.  But, so what?  Why not be optimistic about it?  I don't think I'm being all Pollyanna about it.  But, thinking that they'll lose three in a row to The Cardinals is just counter-intuitive.

They're, obviously, not perfect but I'll be damned if I don't think they can beat The Fucking Cardinals.

It's also much more fun being an optimistic fan, especially about a good team like these Cubs or The Hawks.

Yeah, pretty much this.  Plus the fact that any given six- or seven-game stretch in baseball is basically neither here nor there.  You all know as well as I do that anybody can beat anybody over a series or two, and frequently will.  You have to look at twenty games or more for it to make any sense, and getting up or down about a single win or loss, or even a series is an over-reaction.

It's part of the reason I love baseball and have tired of EPL football over the years.  A good baseball team will win 60% of its games, a bad one 40%, and that's even taking into account that there are no ties.  In the EPL, there are some teams who basically have fuck-all chance of winning or even drawing at Old Trafford, say - and what's the point of watching that, whichever side of the fence you're on?

Don't forget that we also sometimes got to enjoy the Cubs fucking the Tards roughly from behind with no kissing, even when they, the Cubs, were fucking awful.  That coin has two sides.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2811 on: July 07, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 07, 2015, 11:44:55 AM

This team has gone from one of the worst in baseball to sitting in a playoff spot in the space of one half season. And whatever happens this season, we know they'll be better on Opening Day/Night 2016 than they are right now. And they'll probably be better the year after that as well.

If you aren't feeling joyful positive now, you never will.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2812 on: July 07, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 07, 2015, 01:15:22 PM
And whatever happens this season, we know they'll be better on Opening Day/Night 2016 than they are right now. And they'll probably be better the year after that as well.

Maybe!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2813 on: July 07, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2015, 01:37:55 PM
And whatever happens this season, we know they'll be better on Opening Day/Night 2016 than they are right now. And they'll probably be better the year after that as well.

Maybe!

Yeah we have no way of knowing this. We have reasons to suspect this, and certainly I'm buying stock in the longterm prospects of the Cub organization, that doesn't mean in the short term there's no reason to get angry about getting their dicks kicked in by the Cardinals over and over again. You can be both happy about the future of the Cubs and occasionally angry at their present.

Oh well, can we stop now? People watch sports differently. Who knew.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2814 on: July 07, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2015, 01:47:41 PM

Maybe!

Yeah we have no way of knowing this. We have reasons to suspect this, and certainly I'm buying stock in the longterm prospects of the Cub organization, that doesn't mean in the short term there's no reason to get angry about getting their dicks kicked in by the Cardinals over and over again. You can be both happy about the future of the Cubs and occasionally angry at their present.

Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2015, 07:23:01 AM
Still love this mother fucker. That's what I've got to say today. That, and only that.

We all wish you could.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2815 on: July 07, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »

Maybe!

Oh, I get pissed about what has happened.  I just don't let it affect how I fell about what may still happen.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2816 on: July 07, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 07, 2015, 02:34:19 PM

Maybe!

Oh, I get pissed about what has happened.  I just don't let it affect how I fell about what may still happen.

Good.

Now can you talk Slaky in from the ledge?  We need everyone on board here.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2817 on: July 08, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2015, 04:01:18 PM
Quote from: Oleg on July 07, 2015, 02:34:19 PM

Maybe!

Good.

Now can you talk Slaky in from the ledge?  We need everyone on board here.

I'm good now. Yesterday was a big help. Still leery, but good.

Now we wait for the Cole-Wada one game playoff of doom.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2818 on: July 09, 2015, 07:19:55 AM »
...last night sucked and I'm still mad today.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2819 on: July 09, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »
...I can get over last night's game, but if Hammel is seriously hurt the nervous shits are going to come creeping back.