News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,495 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3000 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:35 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on September 01, 2015, 08:11:34 PM
Quote from: Eli on September 01, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: CBStew on September 01, 2015, 01:09:40 PM
By the way, I forget her name, but the woman who did the MLB broadcast Sunday night (the no-hitter) was absolutely outstanding.  I think that I heard that she was a professional softball player.

She was great on her own merits and especially great when compared to what ESPN normally trots out as "analysis."

What are her thoughts on evolution?

And The Glorious Lost Cause of The Confederacy?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3001 on: September 01, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 01, 2015, 08:16:35 PM
By the way, I forget her name, but the woman who did the MLB broadcast Sunday night (the no-hitter) was absolutely outstanding.  I think that I heard that she was a professional softball player.

She was great on her own merits and especially great when compared to what ESPN normally trots out as "analysis."

The Confederacy lost?  Desipio truly is the only site I'll ever need.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3002 on: September 02, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 01, 2015, 08:22:41 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 01, 2015, 08:16:35 PM

The Confederacy lost?  Desipio truly is the only site I'll ever need.

Just a few months ago when South Carolina finally surrendered. They finally removed from their capitol the flag of the country that attacked the US.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3003 on: September 02, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 01, 2015, 05:33:04 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on September 01, 2015, 05:07:03 PM
Quote from: Tonker on September 01, 2015, 03:27:08 PM
Quote from: PANK! on September 01, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: Tonker on September 01, 2015, 02:27:08 PM
... I think Vin Scully has lost a step, and he should probably knock it on the head and leave us all wanting more.

I know it's poor form to drag out discussions in a confession thread, but I'll only say that no shit he's lost a step; I hardly think anyone would contest that.

However, he still calls a helluva game.  He was on TV Saturday and called out Coghlan's horrible route on the ball that sailed over his head.  Also, the previous night, when Matt Szczur doubled off of Kershaw, he immediately called, "Render unto Szczur a stand-up double."  Corny, sure, but the fact that he was all over it on the spot was impressive.  Yes he's old as fuck and has slowed down but he's hardly the bumbling, confused, brain-dead pile of goo that Harry Caray was at the end.

He seemed to think it was his job to inform us every inning anew that:

1. Kyle Schwarber is built like a linebacker
2. Jon Lester has a remarkable record in the post-season
3. Addison Russell is a good fielder
4. Joe Maddon is a jolly good egg

Every.  Inning.  I agree, it's still fun to listen to him and he's not doing any harm yet, but if he carries on like this for much longer he's in danger of damaging his legacy, and that would be a shame.

Except, your Grandma wasn't eyewitness to a large percentage of historic moments, such as approximately 70 percent of Jackie Robinson's career, Bobby Thomson's shot heard round the world, the 1955 World Series, Don Larsen's perfect Game in 1956, MLB's first game in California, the 1962 3 game playoff with the Giants, the 1963 World Series, Sandy Koufax's no-hitters and perfect game, Don Drysdale's scoreless streak, Hank Aaron's 755th Home Run, Charlie O's last World Series (and the first all-California series), Reggie Jackson's 3 HR on 3 pitches, just about every World Series and All-Star Game from the mid-70s to 1997, FernandoMania, the 21-inning Cubs loss to the Dodgers in 1982 in which Jody Davis quite clearly tagged Steve Sax but Eric Gregg ruled him safe infuriating 7 year old T.J., the 1985 NLCS, the 1986 World Series, Orel Hershiser's heroics in 1988, the NLCS in 1989 that should not be mentioned, Barry Bonds' 71st homer, Ryan Dempster shitting the bed in 2008, so on and so on...

Keith Olbermann and I don't agree on much, but we do agree Scully connects multiple eras together. Wrap your head around this: Scully also broadcast Mickey Mantle's New York (exhibition game) debut, as well as Bryce Harper's debut. If not for ESPN "stealing" Sunday Night's game, he'd have called Jake Arrieta's no hitter along with approximately 2 dozen others he has called.

He also broadcast a ton of football games, including the 1981 NFC Championship game in San Francisco. It is popularly known as the last game Ditka served as an assistant coach, but Joe Montana and Dwight Clark also known for doing something. Vin's voice is heard calling that.
He also called Masters won by Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Tom Watson (twice), Fuzzy Zoeller, Seve Ballesteros and Craig Stadler. He was Jim Nantz before Jim Nantz.

He unquestionably improved every one of these events, never made it about himself, and continues to make pot roast and potatoes almost 100 nights a year.

And yes, Kyle Schwarber is built like a linebacker.

Or to put it another way.  Vin announced a no hitter even played in by Addison Russell,  who was born in 1994; and games involving Connie Mack, who was born in 1862.  But its not just history, he may had lost a couple of miles of the fast ball, in my mind he's still throwing somewhere between Strop and Chapman.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3004 on: September 02, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on September 02, 2015, 09:34:08 AM
Or to put it another way.  Vin announced a no hitter even played in by Addison Russell,  who was born in 1994; and games involving Connie Mack, who was born in 1862.  But its not just history, he may had lost a couple of miles of the fast ball, in my mind he's still throwing somewhere between Strop and Chapman.

Vin Scully has worked for Branch Rickey and Andrew Friedman. He was there for the wholesale integration of baseball, the shift of the teams west, the Cold War, indoor baseball and Astroturf, the several changes Southern California has gone through since 1958, the Watts Riots and then the 1992 L.A. Riots. He witnessed the Reserve Clause disappearing, the advent of free agency and arbitration, five work stoppages and 21 years of relative baseball peace (I suppose they came close to striking in 2002).

He has called games at Ebbets Field, Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City), Polo Grounds, Yankee Stadium, Shibe Park, Fenway Park, Braves Field, Forbes Field, Sportsman's Park, Crosley Field, Wrigley Field, Cleveland Stadium, Tiger Stadium, Comiskey Park, Memorial Stadium, County Stadium, Metropolitan Stadium, RFK Stadium, Arlington Stadium, Colt Stadium, KC Municipal Stadium, Jarry Park, Olympic Stadium, Royals Stadium, Fulton-County Stadium, Exhibition Stadium, Shea Stadium, The Los Angeles Coliseum, Riverfront Stadium, Veterans Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Jack Murphy Stadium, Chavez Ravine/Dodger Stadium, Wrigley Field (LA), Seals Stadium, Candlestick Park, Oakland Coliseum, Astrodome, Skydome, HHH Metrodome, Kingdome, Safeco Field, Mile High Stadium, Coors Field, Chase Field, Miller Park, Busch Stadium, Busch Stadium II, U.S. Cellular Park, Comerica Park, Jacobs Field, Great American Ballpark, Citizens Bank Field, PNC Park, Nationals Park, Camden Yards, Turner Field, Tropicana Field, Joe Robbie Stadium, Minute Maid Park, Whatver They're Calling the Rangers new stadium.... and Sydney Cricket Ground in Tonker's Motherland.

Last year, he compared Yasiel Puig's outfield play to Willie Mays in his first few years in the big leagues, explaining how he felt Puig could put it all together like Mays did.  I love listening to Len Kasper, but was he out of diapers by the time Mays ended his career with the Mets?

He's like a World War II veteran. Every day one dies, a little bit of history goes with.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3005 on: September 02, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »
Also who gives a shit if he's lost something off his fastball? It's not like he's a player where you want to replace him with someone better and cheaper. I doubt there's some hot shot broadcasting prospect really being hurt by Vin sticking around. Hell, I'd have never complained about Santo's whining and moaning toward the end if I'd have realized Moreland and Coomer were going to replace him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3006 on: September 02, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 02, 2015, 11:03:43 AM
Also who gives a shit if he's lost something off his fastball? It's not like he's a player where you want to replace him with someone better and cheaper. I doubt there's some hot shot broadcasting prospect really being hurt by Vin sticking around. Hell, I'd have never complained about Santo's whining and moaning toward the end if I'd have realized Moreland and Coomer were going to replace him.

That's a good point.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3007 on: September 02, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »
None of that will be undone if he simply stops at the end of this season, or next.  We'll all still be able to go back and listen to him any time we want to.  What won't happen is that we won't have to listen to him start chipping away at his legacy.

Like I said, I still thoroughly enjoy listening to Vin Scully.  He's unquestionably the greatest of all time, by some distance, and I have nothing but love and respect for the man.  But he's not improving with age and he probably needs to think about stopping soon.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3008 on: September 02, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 02, 2015, 11:06:51 AM
None of that will be undone if he simply stops at the end of this season, or next.  We'll all still be able to go back and listen to him any time we want to.  What won't happen is that we won't have to listen to him start chipping away at his legacy.

Like I said, I still thoroughly enjoy listening to Vin Scully.  He's unquestionably the greatest of all time, by some distance, and I have nothing but love and respect for the man.  But he's not improving with age and he probably needs to think about stopping soon.

I think you overestimate how seriously people take a subject like "broadcaster legacies." The mere fact that, 20 years later, people put Ryan Dempster on MLB Network because he does a bad impersonation of Will Ferrell's bad impersonation of the  "bumbling, confused, brain-dead pile of goo that Harry Caray was at the end" is probably evidence that you're overthinking this one.

Vin's legacy is set in stone, he's got nothing to hurt by sticking around as long as he wants.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3009 on: September 02, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 02, 2015, 11:11:08 AM

I think you overestimate how seriously people take a subject like "broadcaster legacies." The mere fact that, 20 years later, people put Ryan Dempster on MLB Network because he does a bad impersonation of Will Ferrell's bad impersonation of the  "bumbling, confused, brain-dead pile of goo that Harry Caray was at the end" is probably evidence that you're overthinking this one.

Vin's legacy is set in stone, he's got nothing to hurt by sticking around as long as he wants.

I'm not overthinking anything, really.  I, personally, would like Vin Scully to stop broadcasting sooner rather than later.  I admitted as much in this thread.  The end.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3010 on: September 02, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 02, 2015, 11:20:33 AM

I'm not overthinking anything, really.  I, personally, would like Vin Scully to stop broadcasting sooner rather than later.  I admitted as much in this thread.  The end.

Too late.

Quote from: Tonker, Probably
I loathe Vin Scully and wish he would die in the fucking booth.  The man is bollocks.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3011 on: September 02, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 02, 2015, 11:25:54 AM

Too late.

I loathe Vin Scully and wish he would die in the fucking booth.  The man is bollocks.

Well, I mean it's cool if Tonk thinks he should retire. That's fine. I was just debating the point (which he said twice) that carrying on like this would hurt Vin's legacy, and I just don't think it will. If people can make a folk hero out of brain dead Harry, they'll not begrudge Vin some years of senile broadcasting, unless he slips and starts making some kind of racial slurs or something.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3012 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 02, 2015, 11:30:54 AM

Too late.

Well, I mean it's cool if Tonk thinks he should retire. That's fine. I was just debating the point (which he said twice) that carrying on like this would hurt Vin's legacy, and I just don't think it will. If people can make a folk hero out of brain dead Harry, they'll not begrudge Vin some years of senile broadcasting, unless he slips and starts making some kind of racial slurs or something.

I see what you're getting at, but legacy is a personal thing, too.  If you don't believe a person ever did anything worth a damn, then as far as you're concerned, they have no legacy - or what legacy they have is negative.  If you think somebody is the greatest human being ever to walk the face of the Earth - Mickey Morandini, say - then their legacy has value to you, and can be devalued for you by their actions.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3013 on: September 02, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 02, 2015, 11:50:58 AM

Too late.

I see what you're getting at, but legacy is a personal thing, too.  If you don't believe a person ever did anything worth a damn, then as far as you're concerned, they have no legacy - or what legacy they have is negative.  If you think somebody is the greatest human being ever to walk the face of the Earth - Mickey Morandini, say - then their legacy has value to you, and can be devalued for you by their actions.

We get it, you hate Colin Hay's solo stuff.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3014 on: September 02, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 02, 2015, 11:52:36 AM
Quote from: Tonker on September 02, 2015, 11:50:58 AM

Too late.

We get it, you hate Colin Hay's solo stuff.

Au contraire, my obvious ami.  I'm not a real fan of Men at Work, but I do love Colin Hay's solo stuff.