News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 594,734 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 15, 2011, 09:19:55 PM
Quote from: Slaky on January 15, 2011, 09:19:23 PM
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on January 15, 2011, 09:17:49 PM
Quote from: Bort on January 15, 2011, 08:59:49 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on January 15, 2011, 08:05:38 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 15, 2011, 07:38:28 PM
...I should have never gotten into this flame war.

I'm proceeding on the assumption that anyone who would get particularly exercised over the matter should be dismissed out of hand.

I'm going to parse this as: "You're boring us, Gil."

Or "Call us when you singlehandedly destroy the entire politics section on the CHUD forums, Gil."

Via sophistry?

(There is only one answer to this non-rhetorical rhetorical question)

Natch.

Ah, it just feels good when the Internet works as it should.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #436 on: January 16, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #437 on: January 16, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on January 16, 2011, 12:05:01 AM
....I've been horribly, horribly wrong for 20 years.

I'm making sure I use two spaces from now on just to piss off this douche writer.  Especially since the main point -- that two spaces harm readability -- is promptly torpedoed when you follow the pageview-whoring break:

QuoteTypographers can point to no studies or any other evidence proving that single spaces improve readability. When you press them on it, they tend to cite their aesthetic sensibilities. As Jury says, "It's so bloody ugly."

But I actually think aesthetics are the best argument in favor of one space over two. One space is simpler, cleaner, and more visually pleasing (it also requires less work, which isn't nothing). A page of text with two spaces between every sentence looks riddled with holes; a page of text with an ordinary space looks just as it should.

Naturally, no proof always makes for the most convincing argument.  But what if I think a page of text with two spaces looks just as it should, and single-spaced text looks crammed together and harder to read?

QuoteIs this arbitrary? Sure it is.

Was this (like most of Slate) a total waste of time?       Yes it was.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #438 on: January 16, 2011, 12:48:25 AM »

Farhad Manjoo should saw his fucking head off with a pica stick. The argument to "a fellow who's been using computers since at least the mid-1980s" unfortunately commits the astonishing stupidity of overlooking that E-mail in the early and mid '80s was almost universally viewed in monospce "type." (Mine still is. Sorry if the Comic Sans was supposed to carry part of the meaning, asshole.)

Typographers and typesetters, to the extent that they meaningfully persist in the world, don't give a shit, as the whole point is transformation of the copy in the first place. "Two spaces" doesn't mean anything unless your "typesetting system" is justifying text on a Selectric. The fact that this bit of idiocy actually got indexed in the 15th MoS I take as a personal embarrassment.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #439 on: January 16, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »

What galls me about two-spacers isn't just their numbers. It's their certainty that they're right. Over Thanksgiving dinner last year, I asked people what they considered to be the "correct" number of spaces between sentences.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.Now, let me grill you about proper typography.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #440 on: January 16, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 15, 2011, 06:03:55 PM
.... I need to move to Chicago. As I was walking from Wrigley to Halsted & Clark today, the female quality that I saw out today was amazing. Those tights that girls are wearing as pants are amazing. I can only imagine how great it would be to be here during summer with those amazing sundresses. Downstate blows

Halsted & Clark, eh?  Would have loved to have heard that you picked one up and found a dong underneath those girls pants.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #441 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 16, 2011, 10:51:47 AM
.... I need to move to Chicago. As I was walking from Wrigley to Halsted & Clark today, the female quality that I saw out today was amazing. Those tights that girls are wearing as pants are amazing. I can only imagine how great it would be to be here during summer with those amazing sundresses. Downstate blows

Halsted & Clark, eh?  Would have loved to have heard that you picked one up and found a dong underneath those girls pants.

Well, the best tail I saw was up by Wrigley but there was some nice shit at the Sports Authority as well

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #442 on: January 16, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »

At the Borders?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 16, 2011, 12:17:52 PM

At the Borders?

What would Yeti be doing at a Borders, except for finding directions away from there?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #444 on: January 16, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 16, 2011, 12:20:20 PM

At the Borders?

What would Yeti be doing at a Borders, except for finding directions away from there?

Looking for nudie mags?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #445 on: January 16, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 16, 2011, 12:24:56 PM

At the Borders?

Looking for nudie mags?

My aunt mentioned that there was one there but I didn't notice it. I went to the Sports Authority and Marshall's. If I saw it I would have gone in there. I was walking down Clark with no purpose until I got there. I was just walking for the hell of it

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #446 on: January 16, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »

At the Borders?

Borders is at Clark and Diversey, NotRandMcNally.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #447 on: January 16, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 16, 2011, 12:45:44 PM
Quote from: Bort on January 16, 2011, 12:24:56 PM

At the Borders?

Looking for nudie mags?

My aunt mentioned that there was one there but I didn't notice it. I went to the Sports Authority and Marshall's. If I saw it I would have gone in there. I was walking down Clark with no purpose until I got there. I was just walking for the hell of it

So, your aunt told you that there was a nudie mag at Borders, but you didn't notice it because you were cruising for trim in the "young Adult" section.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #448 on: January 16, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 16, 2011, 01:42:43 PM

Halsted & Clark, eh?  Would have loved to have heard that you picked one up and found a dong underneath those girls pants.

At the Borders?

Fuck, you're right. I was thinking of Broadway.

Actually, the corner of Halsted and Diversey is what, a PetCo?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #449 on: January 16, 2011, 01:54:34 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 16, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 16, 2011, 01:42:43 PM

Halsted & Clark, eh?  Would have loved to have heard that you picked one up and found a dong underneath those girls pants.

At the Borders?

Fuck, you're right. I was thinking of Broadway.

Actually, the corner of Halsted and Diversey is what, a PetCo?

KFC Walgreens Dentist Office etc
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.