News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 592,819 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #1770 on: April 22, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 22, 2013, 03:59:02 PM
I have just two fears: that Ricketts is somehow as stupid as Chuck makes him out to be (probably unlikely) and gives Theo and Jed a premature Dallas Green-esque boot, or that Rizzo/Almora/Soler fail to pan out and no young core to build around develops. Otherwise, it's not hard for me to accept that things were so poorly mismanaged and the farm system neglected for so long that the rebuild's going to take a while.

So we're all afraid that this might go bad and the Cubs might not win the World Series for a really long time...

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1771 on: April 22, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »
I have just two fears: that Ricketts is somehow as stupid as Chuck makes him out to be (probably unlikely) and gives Theo and Jed a premature Dallas Green-esque boot, or that Rizzo/Almora/Soler fail to pan out and no young core to build around develops. Otherwise, it's not hard for me to accept that things were so poorly mismanaged and the farm system neglected for so long that the rebuild's going to take a while.

While I think Ricketts isn't very smart (unlike his dad or eldest brother), I don't think he's stupid enough to fire anyone prematurely.  He's also not smart enough to fire anyone prematurely (see: Hendry, Jim; Kenney, Crane), even when postmaturely and appropriate.

The second part is a valid concern.  I personally think they will start to bid on free agents that don't resign to mitigate this.  Cano is a Cub next year if the Yankees are stupid and/or overly luxury tax concerned.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1772 on: April 22, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 22, 2013, 04:13:47 PM

So we're all afraid that this might go bad and the Cubs might not win the World Series for a really long time...

Roasted

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1773 on: April 22, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 22, 2013, 04:25:03 PM

Roasted

Well, now I'm never sharing my thoughts, opinions, or feelings on the internet again. Thanks a lot, CT.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1774 on: April 22, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 22, 2013, 04:15:24 PM

While I think Ricketts isn't very smart (unlike his dad or eldest brother), I don't think he's stupid enough to fire anyone prematurely.  He's also not smart enough to fire anyone prematurely (see: Hendry, Jim; Kenney, Crane), even when postmaturely and appropriate.

The second part is a valid concern.  I personally think they will start to bid on free agents that don't resign to mitigate this.  Cano is a Cub next year if the Yankees are stupid and/or overly luxury tax concerned.

QuoteHe's also not smart enough to fire anyone prematurely (see: Hendry, Jim; Kenney, Crane), even when postmaturely and appropriate.

What.

Quotefree agents that don't resign

Huh.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1775 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 22, 2013, 04:29:38 PM

QuoteHe's also not smart enough to fire anyone prematurely (see: Hendry, Jim; Kenney, Crane), even when postmaturely and appropriate.

What.

Quotefree agents that don't resign

Huh.

I didn't even try.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1776 on: April 22, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
So, the new regime has been in place for just over a year.

They have three All-Star caliber players already on the ML roster (assuming Snork continues to pan out).
The system has at least 3 top-level prospects, albeit incredibly young, who will be important pieces of the next Cubs contender (4 prospects in all on the BP101).
They have the second pick in the upcoming draft and will have another top 3 pick next June.
The system currently boasts some pretty good hitting talent/depth below the top-3.
The minor league system currently ranks 12th (after ranking 20th during Hendry's last year) according to Baseball Prospectus.

Yeah, as a Cubs fan, I see no reason to get excited or to continue to care.  Fuck that.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1777 on: April 22, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 22, 2013, 03:42:17 PM
What makes me sad is that the Cubs organization isn't even apologetic about the product that they have put on the field.  I feel sad for the ticket holders.  True, I am paying to go to three Cub games this year, but I can console myself with the fact that most of the money that I am spending will go to the A's.

Why feel sad for the ticket holders? The Cubs haven't sold tickets under any false pretenses. If you buy a ticket to see the 2013 Chicago Cubs with the expectation of seeing anything other than bad baseball being played by the home team, then you deserve to have a pigeon shit on your bologna sammich.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1778 on: April 22, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
Cano is a Cub next year if the Yankees are stupid and/or overly luxury tax concerned.

I'd be stunned. He's at tail end of his peak and middle infielders age rapidly. I imagine Theo is aware of all this.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1779 on: April 22, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
What are you guys admitting?

MODS
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1780 on: April 22, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 22, 2013, 04:45:21 PM
What makes me sad is that the Cubs organization isn't even apologetic about the product that they have put on the field.  I feel sad for the ticket holders.  True, I am paying to go to three Cub games this year, but I can console myself with the fact that most of the money that I am spending will go to the A's.

Why feel sad for the ticket holders? The Cubs haven't sold tickets under any false pretenses. If you buy a ticket to see the 2013 Chicago Cubs with the expectation of seeing anything other than bad baseball being played by the home team, then you deserve to have a pigeon shit on your bologna sammich.
I am admitting that I feel sorry for folks who have a right to expect more.  (Not the corporations that buy tickets to give away or the guys who just come for the party.) Last year the Cubs lost 101 games.  In 1966 the Cubs lost 103 games.  In 1967 they won 87 games with a roster including Hundley, Banks, Beckert, Kessinger, Santo, Williams, Phillips, and Landrum,  and a pitching staff with Jenkins, Holtzman, Nye, Hartenstein, and Hands.  They had a decent manager too.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1781 on: April 22, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 22, 2013, 04:27:52 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 22, 2013, 04:25:03 PM

Roasted

Well, now I'm never sharing my thoughts, opinions, or feelings on the internet again. Thanks a lot, CT.

Mission Accomplished.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1782 on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 22, 2013, 05:54:12 PM

I am admitting that I feel sorry for folks who have a right to expect more.  (Not the corporations that buy tickets to give away or the guys who just come for the party.) Last year the Cubs lost 101 games.  In 1966 the Cubs lost 103 games.  In 1967 they won 87 games with a roster including Hundley, Banks, Beckert, Kessinger, Santo, Williams, Phillips, and Landrum,  and a pitching staff with Jenkins, Holtzman, Nye, Hartenstein, and Hands.  They had a decent manager too.

What gives them that right? You can't pay for chicken shit and then complain that it's not chicken salad.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1783 on: April 22, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 22, 2013, 07:23:06 PM

What gives them that right? You can't pay for chicken shit and then complain that it's not chicken salad.

I rest my case.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1784 on: April 22, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 22, 2013, 07:23:06 PM
What makes me sad is that the Cubs organization isn't even apologetic about the product that they have put on the field.  I feel sad for the ticket holders.  True, I am paying to go to three Cub games this year, but I can console myself with the fact that most of the money that I am spending will go to the A's.

I am admitting that I feel sorry for folks who have a right to expect more.  (Not the corporations that buy tickets to give away or the guys who just come for the party.) Last year the Cubs lost 101 games.  In 1966 the Cubs lost 103 games.  In 1967 they won 87 games with a roster including Hundley, Banks, Beckert, Kessinger, Santo, Williams, Phillips, and Landrum,  and a pitching staff with Jenkins, Holtzman, Nye, Hartenstein, and Hands.  They had a decent manager too.

I'm not complaining.

Also, Gil opts out of watching the Cubs in favor of the Sox?  Jesus, aren't they just as awful at baseball?  What point is *that* asshole trying to make?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs