News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 595,114 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2730 on: June 11, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 11, 2015, 12:52:52 PM
Quote from: R-V on June 11, 2015, 12:46:23 PM
This article brought to mind my one gripe with Pat Hughes - other than his lazy-ass abdication of his duties for one inning a game: he still cites stats like batting average, RBIs, and pitcher wins as primary measures of a player's ability. Granted this is a minor gripe because (a) not everyone has Len's ability to incorporate newer stats without boring the listener to death (b) I would imagine Pat's demographic is a bit older than Len's and even less likely to give a flying shit about OPS+ than an average slack-jawed TV viewer and (c) the onus for more enlightening analysis really shouldn't be placed on the play-by-play guy, if his analyst is worth a shit.

So TL;DR, I love Pat, and will be more than happy to tolerate this bullshit because he does an otherwise fantastic job, but you're on notice, pal.

His partner is even less likely to do so, which leads me to think if Pat was paired with jim Deshaies rather than the giggling moronic mascot with whom he's actually sadly yolked, he might be more inclined to break out of that shell.

I don't have a problem with a 60 year old broadcaster sticking with what he knows and feels comfortable with. He's never shown a Hawk Harrelson like disdsain for the young whippersnappers and their bullshit maths, and that's all that matters to me. Whenever that stuff is occasionally presented to him he passes it along and usually makes a fun joke about being an old man, but he clearly recognizes it's value, even if he's beyond understanding it himself.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2731 on: June 11, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 11, 2015, 12:55:55 PM
This article brought to mind my one gripe with Pat Hughes - other than his lazy-ass abdication of his duties for one inning a game: he still cites stats like batting average, RBIs, and pitcher wins as primary measures of a player's ability. Granted this is a minor gripe because (a) not everyone has Len's ability to incorporate newer stats without boring the listener to death (b) I would imagine Pat's demographic is a bit older than Len's and even less likely to give a flying shit about OPS+ than an average slack-jawed TV viewer and (c) the onus for more enlightening analysis really shouldn't be placed on the play-by-play guy, if his analyst is worth a shit.

So TL;DR, I love Pat, and will be more than happy to tolerate this bullshit because he does an otherwise fantastic job, but you're on notice, pal.

His partner is even less likely to do so, which leads me to think if Pat was paired with jim Deshaies rather than the giggling moronic mascot with whom he's actually sadly yolked, he might be more inclined to break out of that shell.

I don't have a problem with a 60 year old broadcaster sticking with what he knows and feels comfortable with. He's never shown a Hawk Harrelson like disdsain for the young whippersnappers and their bullshit maths, and that's all that matters to me. Whenever that stuff is occasionally presented to him he passes it along and usually makes a fun joke about being an old man, but he clearly recognizes it's value, even if he's beyond understanding it himself.

Jesus christ, Pat is 60 years old?! I take it all back, and now I feel old as balls. I knew it had been awhile since the Thom/Borb radio days, but had no idea Pat was that old. I blame his timeless voice for fooling me.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2732 on: June 11, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 11, 2015, 01:27:03 PM

Jesus christ, Pat is 60 years old?! I take it all back, and now I feel old as balls. I knew it had been awhile since the Thom/Borb radio days, but had no idea Pat was that old. I blame his timeless voice for fooling me.

60 doesn't even sound old to me. Which makes me feel even older, I guess.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2733 on: June 11, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 11, 2015, 01:33:17 PM

Agreed.

You could have told me Pat was 70 and I would have easily believed it.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2734 on: June 11, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 11, 2015, 01:39:47 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.

Pat sound like he was 62 in 1996, and he sounds like he's 62 today.  My first reaction was "only 60?"
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2735 on: June 11, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
I actually just said 60 as a rough guesstimation of his age because I wasn't sure, I just knew it was up there, but he is in fact exactly 60 years old as of May 27th. The more you know.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2736 on: June 11, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 11, 2015, 01:40:25 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.

Pat sound like he was 62 in 1996, and he sounds like he's 62 today.  My first reaction was "only 60?"

You fucks.
I'm approaching 60 like it's a DUI checkpoint.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2737 on: June 11, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 11, 2015, 02:16:17 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.

You fucks.

I was out and about in the car the other evening (stone cold sober), and missed my turning.  A little further on there was a side road, so I turned into that intending to do an immediate U-turn back out on to the main road, only to realise that there was a DUI-checkpoint a couple of hundred yards down the side road.  I knew that if I did my immediate U-turn as I had initially planned, they'd see me do it and assume that I was drunk and would chase me, so instead I drove down through the DUI-checkpoint, got breathalyzed, then did my U-turn, immediately back through the checkpoint and some very funny looks from the coppers, out to the main road.

/Penstory
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2738 on: June 11, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 11, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.

You fucks.

I was out and about in the car the other evening (stone cold sober), and missed my turning.  A little further on there was a side road, so I turned into that intending to do an immediate U-turn back out on to the main road, only to realise that there was a DUI-checkpoint a couple of hundred yards down the side road.  I knew that if I did my immediate U-turn as I had initially planned, they'd see me do it and assume that I was drunk and would chase me, so instead I drove down through the DUI-checkpoint, got breathalyzed, then did my U-turn, immediately back through the checkpoint and some very funny looks from the coppers, out to the main road.

/Penstory

There are DUI laws in Europe?

[ETA: I was joking, of course, but I just looked it up and was surprised that the U.S. has one of the higher legal limits in the world. Huh. The more you know, I guess.]

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2739 on: June 11, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 11, 2015, 02:47:40 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.

You fucks.

I was out and about in the car the other evening (stone cold sober), and missed my turning.  A little further on there was a side road, so I turned into that intending to do an immediate U-turn back out on to the main road, only to realise that there was a DUI-checkpoint a couple of hundred yards down the side road.  I knew that if I did my immediate U-turn as I had initially planned, they'd see me do it and assume that I was drunk and would chase me, so instead I drove down through the DUI-checkpoint, got breathalyzed, then did my U-turn, immediately back through the checkpoint and some very funny looks from the coppers, out to the main road.

/Penstory

And do they really call "a turn" a "turning"?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2740 on: June 11, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 11, 2015, 02:56:57 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 11, 2015, 02:47:40 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.

You fucks.

/Penstory

And do they really call "a turn" a "turning"?

Yes.  Missing your turn is what you do when you're in jail in Monopoly.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2741 on: June 11, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »

Agreed.

Thirded.

You fucks.
Harrumpf!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2742 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 11, 2015, 05:25:41 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.

You fucks.
Harrumpf!

Okay, I've been properly chastised.
But that doesn't mean I have to like it.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2743 on: June 16, 2015, 09:31:54 AM »
...I'm a little butthurt that Eli refuses to allow me to be linked forever to the awesomeness of Kyle Schwarber. Dick.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2744 on: June 16, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
... I'm going to have more fun with the Cardinals FBI probe than I will with all three Stanley Cups combined. I mean, I'm really, really happy for you guys. But God damn... this fucking thing.

*puts on Internet Rambo costume*
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.