News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 592,549 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2865 on: July 21, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 21, 2015, 08:59:26 AM
...I'm getting impatient with this offense. Yeah yeah the average age of last night's lineup was 14 and according to my brain they need time, but damn it my gut is sick of watching all these studs that I've been fantasizing about put up a slapdick offense.

Also I'm about two Fowler TOOTBLANS away from being as done with him as I am with Castro. He's already getting on base at a much lower clip than we expected - he can't afford to piss away the times he actually does get on base.

Offensively, they're just stuck by nature of how the club is built around young guys. They could make some incremental improvements like finding a platoon partner for Fowler and beefing up the bench, but there aren't many paths for them to take.

The 5th starter spot is still their weakest and most easily upgraded spot on the entire roster. Yeah, the pitching has been really good but that rotation spot is a wasteland of suck with no internal solutions. Ideally they'd improve the offense but a run saved is the same as a run scored, or whatever.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2866 on: July 21, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2015, 09:39:57 PM
I'm always quick to defend Pedro Strop, citing his excellent numbers, and yet I often find myself annoyed by Justin Grimm even though he's been better than Strop in a lot of ways. I think it's because Grimm just walks too damn many guys, or because Joe usually brings him in to get one key out and it sticks out more anytime he fails to get that one out.

Or maybe me and Obama are the real racists

When he's on, Pedro Strop is electric. His unfortunate habit of missing in the zone with his fastball gets him beaten sometimes, as it will most pitchers who throw less than 100 MPH. And because he only comes in at high-leverage moments, those memories stick with fans longer than they would for a Justin Grimm, who may pitch with a one run lead half the time. Grimm is ok. Everything they've gotten from him so far is gravy. If he puts up similar numbers the rest of the way, he'll continue to be a useful sixth inning guy and we'll talk about him on this messageboard like twice.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2867 on: July 21, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 21, 2015, 09:35:10 AM
...I'm getting impatient with this offense. Yeah yeah the average age of last night's lineup was 14 and according to my brain they need time, but damn it my gut is sick of watching all these studs that I've been fantasizing about put up a slapdick offense.

Also I'm about two Fowler TOOTBLANS away from being as done with him as I am with Castro. He's already getting on base at a much lower clip than we expected - he can't afford to piss away the times he actually does get on base.

Offensively, they're just stuck by nature of how the club is built around young guys. They could make some incremental improvements like finding a platoon partner for Fowler and beefing up the bench, but there aren't many paths for them to take.

The 5th starter spot is still their weakest and most easily upgraded spot on the entire roster. Yeah, the pitching has been really good but that rotation spot is a wasteland of suck with no internal solutions. Ideally they'd improve the offense but a run saved is the same as a run scored, or whatever.

Get a Jonathan Niese, a Ben Revere and a Jonathan Papelbon. Give up something of fairly decent value, for which you have no opening on the major league roster and some hot shit teenaged prospects and go win a chammenship.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2868 on: July 21, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »

"Really good" sort of sells it short. They've posted an xFIP of 3.33 through 3.5 months. If it weren't for this year's Dodgers, the Cubs would be on pace for the lowest team xFIP by anyone since 2002. They had the second lowest FIP prior to yesterday's game, but caught the short end of the proverbial HR/FB stick. They've been reeeeeeally good.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2869 on: July 21, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 21, 2015, 10:38:41 AM

"Really good" sort of sells it short. They've posted an xFIP of 3.33 through 3.5 months. If it weren't for this year's Dodgers, the Cubs would be on pace for the lowest team xFIP by anyone since 2002. They had the second lowest FIP prior to yesterday's game, but caught the short end of the proverbial HR/FB stick. They've been reeeeeeally good.

We're in the "steroid era" of pitching. Unless something is done to shrink the strike zone, I don't know see how this gets evened out. HGH is a helluva drug but it won't help anyone hit 95 on the black away or 101 at the belt. And every day I become less inclined to support any deal giving up valuable hitting prospects for pitchers with high mileage and expensive contracts.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2870 on: July 22, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 21, 2015, 09:34:53 AM
Quote from: Slaky on July 21, 2015, 09:32:08 AM

On board with all of this.

And to Eli, I'm more concerned about Ramirez than Soriano. Soriano is just a dude - he's the 5th option out of the pen right now behind Strop, Motte, Rondon, and Grimm. If he can use his guile or whatever to pitch the Cubs out of sixth inning jams, cool.

Ramirez looks bad. He's not healthy.

I never thought Ramirez was that good. I think his ceiling is present-day Jason Motte, unless we see some drastic improvement in his off-speed action. The middle-inning option with the most upside given an opportunity and Bosio Wizarding is Medina. That man is disgusting.

After today's low-leverage performance, I'd agree.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2871 on: July 22, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 22, 2015, 02:02:58 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 21, 2015, 09:34:53 AM
Quote from: Slaky on July 21, 2015, 09:32:08 AM

On board with all of this.

And to Eli, I'm more concerned about Ramirez than Soriano. Soriano is just a dude - he's the 5th option out of the pen right now behind Strop, Motte, Rondon, and Grimm. If he can use his guile or whatever to pitch the Cubs out of sixth inning jams, cool.

Ramirez looks bad. He's not healthy.

I never thought Ramirez was that good. I think his ceiling is present-day Jason Motte, unless we see some drastic improvement in his off-speed action. The middle-inning option with the most upside given an opportunity and Bosio Wizarding is Medina. That man is disgusting.

After today's low-leverage performance, I'd agree.

My stomach and baseball sensibilities also agree.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2872 on: July 22, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
...I'm mad.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2873 on: July 22, 2015, 02:12:46 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2874 on: July 22, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
...Yoervis Medina sucks.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2875 on: July 22, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 22, 2015, 02:33:29 PM
...Yoervis Medina sucks.

Way to stick your neck out.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2876 on: July 22, 2015, 03:01:52 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 22, 2015, 02:52:29 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 22, 2015, 02:33:29 PM
...Yoervis Medina sucks.

Way to stick your neck out.

Well I was the one who said he was good so this one is on me. I personally accept all of his failures as a human being as my responsibility.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2877 on: July 23, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »
I wish Len had gone full Vin Scully after that Teagarden hit. "In a season that has seen the improbable, the impossible has happened!" I'm sure Teagarden would be a good sport about it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2878 on: July 23, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2015, 08:09:03 AM
I wish Len had gone full Vin Scully after that Teagarden hit. "In a season that has seen the improbable, the impossible has happened!" I'm sure Teagarden would be a good sport about it.

Why not? Teagarden has a go-to drinking story for the rest of his life.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2879 on: July 24, 2015, 08:15:20 PM »
I was thisclose to starting up a Jason Motte Spooge thread after Wednesday's game.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs