News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 593,607 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3300 on: October 26, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2015, 07:49:10 AM
I don't really understand hating Ned Yost because he seems a decent enough fellow and I find it more amusing than annoying that all of his hilariously wrong decisions end up working out anyway, but even if I did it would never compare to the hatred I have of the Mets. I want the Mets to lose and I want the series to end with Scott Boras holding Matt Harvey's limp, lifeless body on the mound, crying and swearing eternal vengeance upon Terry Collins and the Wilpon family and the entire city of New York forcing him to accept under-market value contract extensions for Arrieta and Bryant.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3301 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
I don't really understand hating Ned Yost because he seems a decent enough fellow and I find it more amusing than annoying that all of his hilariously wrong decisions end up working out anyway, but even if I did it would never compare to the hatred I have of the Mets. I want the Mets to lose and I want the series to end with Scott Boras holding Matt Harvey's limp, lifeless body on the mound, crying and swearing eternal vengeance upon Terry Collins and the Wilpon family and the entire city of New York.

Yeah, I enjoy Yost's adventures as well. It's like if Inspector Clouseau was the manager of a baseball team.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #3302 on: October 26, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »
Ned Yost is the Les Miles of MLB.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3303 on: October 26, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 26, 2015, 09:24:59 AM
I don't really understand hating Ned Yost because he seems a decent enough fellow and I find it more amusing than annoying that all of his hilariously wrong decisions end up working out anyway, but even if I did it would never compare to the hatred I have of the Mets. I want the Mets to lose and I want the series to end with Scott Boras holding Matt Harvey's limp, lifeless body on the mound, crying and swearing eternal vengeance upon Terry Collins and the Wilpon family and the entire city of New York.

Yeah, I enjoy Yost's adventures as well. It's like if Inspector Clouseau was the manager of a baseball team.

Plus, deep down in my meatball heart, far beyond the sabermetric façade I have built around it, I find it amusing when every single stat nerd on twitter goes Full Trueblood and shits all over one of Ned's insanely illogical tactical decisions and then it works and they all have to scream OUTCOMES DO NOT VALIDATE PROCESSSSSESSSS.

I mean when he made the absolutely awful decision to warm up Wade Davis for the 8th and then used Ryan Madson to give up the tying home run anyway, I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if a million bloggers foresaw the Royals losing the game and then the series, opening a window for them all to use their "In the end Yost did what we all totes knew he would do and killed the Royals at the worst possible moment" columns, and then they were all suddenly silenced. I laffed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #3304 on: October 26, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2015, 08:31:32 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 26, 2015, 08:28:43 AM

I want it to end with the Mets having to trade their young pitchers because they can't afford to keep them after the ludicrous contract they give to Daniel Murphy.

The Mets are letting Murphy walk. There's also basically no way they re-sign Cespedes. Their financial situation is a joke and everyone knows they can't afford huge contracts right now, so next year they'll probably be right back to being completely unable to score runs, with Syndegaard and Matz and DeGrom hopefully victims of the UCL Reaper.

I am a small man but dammit this is my wish.

I should wish that too but for some reason the thought of the Mets sucking next year - which they will - just pisses me off even more.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3305 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2015, 09:30:03 AM

Plus, deep down in my meatball heart, far beyond the sabermetric façade I have built around it, I find it amusing when every single stat nerd on twitter goes Full Trueblood and shits all over one of Ned's insanely illogical tactical decisions and then it works and they all have to scream OUTCOMES DO NOT VALIDATE PROCESSSSSESSSS.

I mean when he made the absolutely awful decision to warm up Wade Davis for the 8th and then used Ryan Madson to give up the tying home run anyway, I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if a million bloggers foresaw the Royals losing the game and then the series, opening a window for them all to use their "In the end Yost did what we all totes knew he would do and killed the Royals at the worst possible moment" columns, and then they were all suddenly silenced. I laffed.

I don't think his bad decisions necessarily even "work" all that often. They usually backfire and then the Royals go ahead and win in spite of it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3306 on: October 26, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 26, 2015, 09:41:42 AM

I don't think his bad decisions necessarily even "work" all that often. They usually backfire and then the Royals go ahead and win in spite of it.

It's true and I'll find it hilarious until it happens against the Cubs in a world series. For now it's amusing that the American League now has their own Cardinals Devil Magic to deal with.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3307 on: October 26, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2015, 09:44:48 AM

It's true and I'll find it hilarious until it happens against the Cubs in a world series. For now it's amusing that the American League now has their own Cardinals Devil Magic to deal with.

I don't find it amusing because my small-ball loving White Sox fan boss thinks Yost is the tits, and he didn't think Maddon had done a very good job this year until the squeeze bunts against the Cardinals.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3308 on: October 26, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 26, 2015, 10:55:26 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2015, 09:44:48 AM

I don't find it amusing because my small-ball loving White Sox fan boss thinks Yost is the tits, and he didn't think Maddon had done a very good job this year until the squeeze bunts against the Cardinals.

This is the silver lining of the Cubs season being over. For the time being I don't have to listen to bad coworker opinions about them.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3309 on: October 26, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
...I don't understand the rush to replace Miguel Montero. He wasn't otherworldly great but as a 2-win player he wasn't bad either.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3310 on: October 26, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 26, 2015, 06:26:26 PM
...I don't understand the rush to replace Miguel Montero. He wasn't otherworldly great but as a 2-win player he wasn't bad either.

Probably because as an aging catcher, he's likely to continue declining.

Also, anecdotally, I think people got tired of seeing him swing from his ass on every pitch he saw, regardless of the situation.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3311 on: October 26, 2015, 08:16:45 PM »

Because there are only 8 positions on the field and the Cubs have more than 8 people who have/potentially have significantly better bats than Montero.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3312 on: October 27, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 26, 2015, 07:52:34 PM

Also, anecdotally, I think people got tired of seeing him swing from his ass on every pitch he saw, regardless of the situation.

Pretty much this. I really like the guy and I think he helped the pitching staff with his pitch calling and framing - so I've heard anyway. The 15 dongs covered up a lot of ugly. The thumb injury might have had a much bigger effect than anyone admitted. But that's what happens to catchers and it makes me wonder why anybody would want Schwarber back there ever. I'm fine if Montero comes back but an upgrade will be needed sooner rather than later.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3313 on: October 27, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 27, 2015, 07:54:35 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 26, 2015, 07:52:34 PM

Pretty much this. I really like the guy and I think he helped the pitching staff with his pitch calling and framing - so I've heard anyway. The 15 dongs covered up a lot of ugly. The thumb injury might have had a much bigger effect than anyone admitted. But that's what happens to catchers and it makes me wonder why anybody would want Schwarber back there ever. I'm fine if Montero comes back but an upgrade will be needed sooner rather than later.

Yeah, the argument in favor of him is that the thumb injury was bad and that he should hopefully be better next year with rest and rehab for an entire offseason, the argument against is that he was pretty shitty in 2013-2014, and he's another year older. His pitch framing and game calling seemed to be pretty good, but his throwing was also getting to be a massive liability.

At least some people who aren't the usual Cubs Minor League Pederasts seem to think Willson Contreras' breakout was a real thing and he might be able to play by the end of next year?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3314 on: October 27, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 26, 2015, 08:16:45 PM

Because there are only 8 positions on the field and the Cubs have more than 8 people who have/potentially have significantly better bats than Montero.

So Baez at catcher then. Boom, done.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16