News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 594,164 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3315 on: October 27, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2015, 08:03:28 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 27, 2015, 07:54:35 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 26, 2015, 07:52:34 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 26, 2015, 06:26:26 PM
...I don't understand the rush to replace Miguel Montero. He wasn't otherworldly great but as a 2-win player he wasn't bad either.

Probably because as an aging catcher, he's likely to continue declining.

Also, anecdotally, I think people got tired of seeing him swing from his ass on every pitch he saw, regardless of the situation.

Pretty much this. I really like the guy and I think he helped the pitching staff with his pitch calling and framing - so I've heard anyway. The 15 dongs covered up a lot of ugly. The thumb injury might have had a much bigger effect than anyone admitted. But that's what happens to catchers and it makes me wonder why anybody would want Schwarber back there ever. I'm fine if Montero comes back but an upgrade will be needed sooner rather than later.

Yeah, the argument in favor of him is that the thumb injury was bad and that he should hopefully be better next year with rest and rehab for an entire offseason, the argument against is that he was pretty shitty in 2013-2014, and he's another year older. His pitch framing and game calling seemed to be pretty good, but his throwing was also getting to be a massive liability.

At least some people who aren't the usual Cubs Minor League Pederasts seem to think Willson Contreras' breakout was a real thing and he might be able to play by the end of next year?

As opposed to the cool kids who are SO. OVER. prospects now that the Cubs are good again. Trade all these snot-nosed babies and bring me my $200 M free agents!

Seriously though - at this point I am giving the organization the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing guys like Contreras and Almora. I think they've earned it given how all the young players contributed at one point or another this year (except for Alcantara, he blows). Given the mid-season ETA that I've seen bandied about for Contreras, I don't think it's out of the question to think that you go into 2016 with Montero as your everyday catcher, ride him hard in the 1st half, and by the time he's burned out at the break and Ross dies of consumption, Contreras is ready to step in and take a significant portion of the workload.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3316 on: October 27, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 27, 2015, 09:31:50 AM
...I don't understand the rush to replace Miguel Montero. He wasn't otherworldly great but as a 2-win player he wasn't bad either.

Also, anecdotally, I think people got tired of seeing him swing from his ass on every pitch he saw, regardless of the situation.

Pretty much this. I really like the guy and I think he helped the pitching staff with his pitch calling and framing - so I've heard anyway. The 15 dongs covered up a lot of ugly. The thumb injury might have had a much bigger effect than anyone admitted. But that's what happens to catchers and it makes me wonder why anybody would want Schwarber back there ever. I'm fine if Montero comes back but an upgrade will be needed sooner rather than later.

Yeah, the argument in favor of him is that the thumb injury was bad and that he should hopefully be better next year with rest and rehab for an entire offseason, the argument against is that he was pretty shitty in 2013-2014, and he's another year older. His pitch framing and game calling seemed to be pretty good, but his throwing was also getting to be a massive liability.

At least some people who aren't the usual Cubs Minor League Pederasts seem to think Willson Contreras' breakout was a real thing and he might be able to play by the end of next year?

As opposed to the cool kids who are SO. OVER. prospects now that the Cubs are good again. Trade all these snot-nosed babies and bring me my $200 M free agents!

Seriously though - at this point I am giving the organization the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing guys like Contreras and Almora. I think they've earned it given how all the young players contributed at one point or another this year (except for Alcantara, he blows). Given the mid-season ETA that I've seen bandied about for Contreras, I don't think it's out of the question to think that you go into 2016 with Montero as your everyday catcher, ride him hard in the 1st half, and by the time he's burned out at the break and Ross dies of consumption, Contreras is ready to step in and take a significant portion of the workload.

Woah, slow your roll there, dude. I'm not saying free agents>prospects. I just meant I'm glad to hear more and more non-biased sources saying how Contreras seems legit. Law praised his approach to off-speed stuff and how mature his overall approach is, a lot of people are raving about him in the Arizona Fall League, etc. For much of the year he was basically a guy only Cubs bloggers were talking about and as much as I think Arguello and some others really do know their stuff people who are Cubs fans still tend to be overly rosy about Cubs prospects.

All I meant was it was easier to buy Contreras as an actual option now that neutral observers have said he seems legit. I used minor league pederasts because CT coined that term and it's still funny.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3317 on: October 27, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2015, 09:34:53 AM

Woah, slow your roll there, dude. I'm not saying free agents>prospects. I just meant I'm glad to hear more and more non-biased sources saying how Contreras seems legit. Law praised his approach to off-speed stuff and how mature his overall approach is, a lot of people are raving about him in the Arizona Fall League, etc. For much of the year he was basically a guy only Cubs bloggers were talking about and as much as I think Arguello and some others really do know their stuff people who are Cubs fans still tend to be overly rosy about Cubs prospects.

All I meant was it was easier to buy Contreras as an actual option now that neutral observers have said he seems legit. I used minor league pederasts because CT coined that term and it's still funny.

I know you weren't saying free agents are better than prospects, because I followed what I thought was a clearly sarcastic lede with "Seriously, though." Maybe you should slow *your* roll, kemosabe.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3318 on: October 27, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 27, 2015, 09:40:08 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2015, 09:34:53 AM

I know you weren't saying free agents are better than prospects, because I followed what I thought was a clearly sarcastic lede with "Seriously, though." Maybe you should slow *your* roll, kemosabe.

Well, uh, okay then.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3319 on: October 27, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2015, 09:41:23 AM

Well, uh, okay then.

Damnit.  I was hoping for three pages on "slow your roll".

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3320 on: October 27, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 27, 2015, 09:47:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2015, 09:41:23 AM

Well, uh, okay then.

Damnit.  I was hoping for three pages on "slow your roll".

I didn't think you rolled anything, I figured you had a "Last Crusade"-style setup of bongs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3321 on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
....I'm actually okay with waiting and possibly even losing Arrieta to free agency. He's under control for two more years, he'll be entering his age 32 season when he hits FA, and he's not going to sign a below value extension since he's a Boras client. He's topped 200 IP in exactly one season. I think it's fine to just see how these next two years play out and entertain letting someone else pay him too much money to pitch into his 40s if that's what it comes down to.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3322 on: October 27, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2015, 10:35:52 AM
....I'm actually okay with waiting and possibly even losing Arrieta to free agency. He's under control for two more years, he'll be entering his age 32 season when he hits FA, and he's not going to sign a below value extension since he's a Boras client. He's topped 200 IP in exactly one season. I think it's fine to just see how these next two years play out and entertain letting someone else pay him too much money to pitch into his 40s if that's what it comes down to.

I can co-sign this.

2017 should be the year that the young arms this front office had begun to draft and develop should start arriving en masse--at least the ones that continue to matriculate.  If they're anywhere as good  as the offensive players that were the focus of this FO in their first couple years it might be tolerable to let Jake walk.  I know that's a ways off but...
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3323 on: October 27, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »

Agreed on all counts.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3324 on: October 27, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 27, 2015, 11:44:20 AM

Agreed on all counts.

So if they're not concerned about re-signing Jake down the road they can sign Price and hope to win it all in one of the next two years.  Go for it, Jepstink.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3325 on: October 30, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
... talking of Aaron Sorkin, I've just started watching "The West Wing" on Netflix, having never really paid attention to it first time round.  I'm actually really enjoying it.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3326 on: October 30, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 30, 2015, 03:42:45 PM
... talking of Aaron Sorkin, I've just started watching "The West Wing" on Netflix, having never really paid attention to it first time round.  I'm actually really enjoying it.

There are actually a few decent seasons before it goes completely off the rails.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3327 on: October 30, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 30, 2015, 05:42:40 PM

There are actually a few decent seasons before it goes completely off the rails.

It peaks when Josh meets with Adam Arkin's character in S2.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3328 on: October 30, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

It peaks when Jed rips a butt and cusses out God in Latin Josh meets with Adam Arkin's character in S2.

Just my two cents. But, yeah, it falls off pretty hard after that.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3329 on: October 30, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 30, 2015, 08:59:22 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

It peaks when Jed rips a butt and cusses out God in Latin Josh meets with Adam Arkin's character in S2.

Just my two cents. But, yeah, it falls off pretty hard after that.

Yeah, that's probably the high water mark.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck