News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 594,369 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3480 on: December 23, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »
Fuck a calculator.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3481 on: December 23, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3482 on: December 23, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 23, 2015, 10:20:26 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 23, 2015, 09:15:25 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 23, 2015, 08:24:15 AM

You guys are all a bunch of fucking Philistines.

Yes, we're the ones who're off.

I think it probably depends on what one values.  I love being mobile (I'm working at Wishbone as I type right now) so having a physical calculator would be a pain in the ass for me (as would carrying around a CD player and an atlas or physical map and a camera and whatever else has been made obsolete by my phone).  But I also almost never print anything, so paper is a waste for me, too.

Having said that, technology should never be a barrier to life but a tool to make it better.  So, if you don't like the idea of a calculator app, who the fuck is anyone to stop you Luddites from enjoying your adding machines.

I don't think anyone is talking about taking their calculator with them when they're working offsite. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3483 on: December 23, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 23, 2015, 10:34:40 AM

I think it probably depends on what one values.  I love being mobile (I'm working at Wishbone as I type right now) so having a physical calculator would be a pain in the ass for me (as would carrying around a CD player and an atlas or physical map and a camera and whatever else has been made obsolete by my phone).  But I also almost never print anything, so paper is a waste for me, too.

Having said that, technology should never be a barrier to life but a tool to make it better.  So, if you don't like the idea of a calculator app, who the fuck is anyone to stop you Luddites from enjoying your adding machines.

I don't think anyone is talking about taking their calculator with them when they're working offsite. 

But once you learn and get used to a new technology that replaces an old technology, doesn't it eliminate the need to the old technology?

Eh...whatever.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3484 on: December 23, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 23, 2015, 10:38:18 AM

But once you learn and get used to a new technology that replaces an old technology, doesn't it eliminate the need to the old technology?

Eh...whatever.

Not at all.

This is about convenience, not the superiority of one form of technology.

There are times when certain things are convenient because of your circumstances, but that doesn't mean that it renders the other technology obsolete.

Examples:
- I use a mouse at my desk, but I don't travel with a mouse.
- When I know I'm going to be taking pictures, I bring a camera, otherwise (99% of the time) I use the camera on my phone. 
- When I'm thinking ahead, I print out my boarding pass for flying out of DIA, because not all the TSA stations have the phone scanner, but should I forget, I use the phone boarding pass.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3485 on: December 23, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »

Eh...whatever.

Yea, I don't have a problem with anyone ditching the adding machine, but when one is at the same desk every day, it's not really odd to have one. I may use the calculator app or excel occasionally, but the adding machine doesn't require pulling up an application that isn't guaranteed to be open.

Really this is much to do about a damn calculator on the desk that appears to be on around 90% of the people's desks here that work with numbers sometimes.... but, Desipio, and that's what makes this place great

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3486 on: December 23, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 23, 2015, 10:51:28 AM

Eh...whatever.

Yea, I don't have a problem with anyone ditching the adding machine, but when one is at the same desk every day, it's not really odd to have one. I may use the calculator app or excel occasionally, but the adding machine doesn't require pulling up an application that isn't guaranteed to be open.

Really this is much to do about a damn calculator on the desk that appears to be on around 90% of the people's desks here that work with numbers sometimes.... but, Desipio, and that's what makes this place great

But seriously, your new "standing desk" is ridiculous.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3487 on: December 23, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 23, 2015, 10:45:20 AM

Eh...whatever.

Not at all.

This is about convenience, not the superiority of one form of technology.

There are times when certain things are convenient because of your circumstances, but that doesn't mean that it renders the other technology obsolete.

Examples:
- I use a mouse at my desk, but I don't travel with a mouse.
- When I know I'm going to be taking pictures, I bring a camera, otherwise (99% of the time) I use the camera on my phone. 
- When I'm thinking ahead, I print out my boarding pass for flying out of DIA, because not all the TSA stations have the phone scanner, but should I forget, I use the phone boarding pass.

Pen is write!

There is absolutely no way I could use a calculator app on a phone or a desktop calculator function in my job.
I wasn't exaggerating about getting screamed at. If I can't calculate an equation quickly I'm truly fucked.
And not just "an" equation, I've got to be thinking ahead and working on the next variable within seconds.

But if I'm not at work and just need simple arithmetic the phone / computer are fine.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3488 on: December 23, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »

Eh...whatever.

It's much ado about a guy reconfiguring his desk to a standing desk by removing a chair, and then showing that he favors redundancy over consolidation.

I mean, if people are more comfortable having multiple devices that perform the same function, whatever gets the job done. But I think effective problem solving usually leads to simplification.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3489 on: December 23, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »
My coworker has a standing desk. I have to use her computer a lot. It sucks. We invented chairs for a reason.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3490 on: December 23, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 23, 2015, 11:29:22 AM

Eh...whatever.

It's much ado about a guy reconfiguring his desk to a standing desk by removing a chair, and then showing that he favors redundancy over consolidation.

I mean, if people are more comfortable having multiple devices that perform the same function, whatever gets the job done. But I think effective problem solving usually leads to simplification.

To be fair, you are a big fan of oversimplification on here, so to each his own.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3491 on: December 23, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3492 on: December 23, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 23, 2015, 02:14:45 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 23, 2015, 11:29:22 AM

Eh...whatever.

To be fair, you are a big fan of oversimplification on here, so to each his own.

This is my escape from function.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3493 on: December 24, 2015, 08:34:29 AM »
I have an adding machine at my desk and it's very possible I have used it whilst lunching on a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3494 on: December 24, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 24, 2015, 08:34:29 AM
I have an adding machine at my desk and it's very possible I have used it whilst lunching on a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Get a better sandwich.