News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 593,344 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3495 on: December 24, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 24, 2015, 08:38:37 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 24, 2015, 08:34:29 AM
I have an adding machine at my desk and it's very possible I have used it whilst lunching on a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Get a better sandwich.

There are some very good mustards, and so few opportunities to use them.  Why would anyone put ketchup on a hot dog when you could put good mustard on it?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3496 on: December 24, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 24, 2015, 02:19:00 PM
I have an adding machine at my desk and it's very possible I have used it whilst lunching on a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Get a better sandwich.

There are some very good mustards, and so few opportunities to use them.  Why would anyone put ketchup on a hot dog when you could put good mustard on it?

Because the determined, unreflected infantilism of RV (and Yeti) simply insists he adorn his encased meat in such a sugar-laden sheath, actively refusing to accept the simple fact that mustard-on-sausages is what makes the damn world go round. It's quite a thing.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3497 on: December 25, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 24, 2015, 10:38:29 PM
Quote from: CBStew on December 24, 2015, 02:19:00 PM

Get a better sandwich.

There are some very good mustards, and so few opportunities to use them.  Why would anyone put ketchup on a hot dog when you could put good mustard on it?

Because the determined, unreflected infantilism of RV (and Yeti) simply insists he adorn his encased meat in such a sugar-laden sheath, actively refusing to accept the simple fact that mustard-on-sausages is what makes the damn world go round. It's quite a thing.
When I was a lad in Chicago in the 1940's there was concession stand at the beach on Lake Michigan that served a spectacular Dijon mustard.  I still remember the taste.  It has haunted me for decades and I try every Dijon I can find to see if anything comes close.  Unfortunately I haven't found it yet. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3498 on: December 25, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »
... Although I now appear to be the undisputed houskový knedlík champion of this part of Florida, I took my eye off the vepřové just at the end and pulled it above 145°. So close.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3499 on: December 26, 2015, 01:30:27 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 25, 2015, 07:22:46 PM
... Although I now appear to be the undisputed houskový knedlík champion of this part of Florida, I took my eye off the vepřové just at the end and pulled it above 145°. So close.

At first I thought you invaded a South Floridian Norwegian retirement communities shuffle board league.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3500 on: December 26, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
Quote from: flannj on December 26, 2015, 01:30:27 AM

At first I thought you invaded a South Floridian Norwegian retirement communities shuffle board league.

The weird thing is that Yuengling is apparently extremely popular. I asked a shopkeeper if they had a lot of transplants from Philadelphia, and she said she thought it was from New York.

To someone's credit, the (limited) supply of Lagunitas Pils seems to fly off the shelves.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3501 on: December 27, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 26, 2015, 08:42:19 PM

The weird thing is that Yuengling is apparently extremely popular. I asked a shopkeeper if they had a lot of transplants from Philadelphia, and she said she thought it was from New York.

To someone's credit, the (limited) supply of Lagunitas Pils seems to fly off the shelves.

Eh, not that weird, Yuengling's got a brewery in Tampa.  It's about as easy to find in the Southeast as Miller is in the Midwest.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3502 on: December 27, 2015, 09:39:10 AM »
Quote from: CT III on December 27, 2015, 08:53:33 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on December 26, 2015, 08:42:19 PM

Eh, not that weird, Yuengling's got a brewery in Tampa.  It's about as easy to find in the Southeast as Miller is in the Midwest.

Yeah, Yuengling was a consistent cheap choice for me in Charleston bars when I was in my 20s.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3503 on: December 28, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »

...for some reason unbeknownst to even me, I looked at the 1964 NL MVP voting.

Was "The Cardinal Way" a thing back then? Because there's no earthly way Ken Boyer should have ever won that thing, pennant or no pennant.

Hell, Willie Mays, Ron Santo and Richie Allen combined for 0 first place votes.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3504 on: December 28, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 28, 2015, 11:38:01 AM

Was "The Cardinal Way" a thing back then? Because there's no earthly way Ken Boyer should have ever won that thing, pennant or no pennant.

He must have had some heroic Jose Bautista type moments in September to sway the voters. That shit is weird. Wikipedia tells me that he hit for the cycle twice, so that happened. He hit .400 in five September games (4-1) against the Pholding Phils, enabling the Birds to win the pennant by a single game after trailing by as many as 11. They entered September trailing Philly by 6 so Boyer's exploits against them really made a difference. That wouldn't happen now of course, but back then it seems that fewer games actually got any attention at all, as opposed to the 24 hour coverage of the entire sport we enjoy now.

So that's what happened, I bet. And it's dumb.

Or it was a D. Rose MVP win, in which the voters were mad at two more-deserving candidates and instead handed it to the lone offensive threat on a solid, first-place team. Allen was indeed a Pholding Phil and the Cubs were 10-games under .500. But they'll have to show me on the doll where Willie hurt them for me to understand him getting nary a single first-place vote.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3505 on: December 28, 2015, 12:48:30 PM »

Ah, I see the problem.  You're using the 2015 sort instead of the pre-Civil Rights Act sort.  Sort by RBI leaders and you'll have your answer.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3506 on: December 28, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 28, 2015, 12:48:30 PM

Ah, I see the problem.  You're using the 2015 sort instead of the pre-Civil Rights Act sort.  Sort by RBI leaders and you'll have your answer.

Mays (1954), Aaron (1957), Robinson (1961) already had won MVPs by then. But my thought isn't that you can blame voters as much for not using criteria that didn't exist, but that Boyer had a far worse season than Mays, Santo or Allen, even by 1964 standards.

Also in Allen's case, they just gave him Rookie of the Year. But poor Mays, he won it twice but he got pretty royally fucked out of it on a couple occasions - he also lost out to Maury Wills' stolen bases in 1962, and finished behind both Ron Perranoski and Dick Groat in 1963. He could/should have run off 4 straight from 1962-1965. Maybe voters just took his awesomeness for granted.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3507 on: December 28, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 28, 2015, 01:48:11 PM

Mays (1954), Aaron (1957), Robinson (1961) already had won MVPs by then. But my thought isn't that you can blame voters as much for not using criteria that didn't exist, but that Boyer had a far worse season than Mays, Santo or Allen, even by 1964 standards.

Also in Allen's case, they just gave him Rookie of the Year. But poor Mays, he won it twice but he got pretty royally fucked out of it on a couple occasions - he also lost out to Maury Wills' stolen bases in 1962, and finished behind both Ron Perranoski and Dick Groat in 1963. He could/should have run off 4 straight from 1962-1965. Maybe voters just took his awesomeness for granted.

Don't forget that the Cardinals won the pennant in '64. The Giants finished fourth and the Cubs finished 8th.

The Phillies did finish 2nd, but Johnny Callison (with a 30 HR/100 RBI season) probably got the support from a lot of voters who would have otherwise voted for Allen.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3508 on: December 28, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 28, 2015, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 28, 2015, 01:48:11 PM

Ah, I see the problem.  You're using the 2015 sort instead of the pre-Civil Rights Act sort.  Sort by RBI leaders and you'll have your answer.

Don't forget that the Cardinals won the pennant in '64. The Giants finished fourth and the Cubs finished 8th.

The Phillies did finish 2nd, but Cubs legend Johnny Callison (with a 30 HR/100 RBI season) probably got the support from a lot of voters who would have otherwise voted for Allen.

Banks won back-to-back a few years before on second division teams, and Mays' Giants only finished 3 games back. And the '64 Cubs weren't vaulted to the top by mid-season acquisition Ernie Broglio.

Shit, I still remember Callison was supposed to be the missing piece for 1970.
TIME TO POST!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3509 on: January 03, 2016, 05:17:24 AM »
... I just spent a good six hours figuring out how to make sustained/resumable contact with libgen from the US all for sake of the 20th freaking one of these,* and I feel oddly refreshed.

* Yes, he screws it up.

[Edit.—Ah, synchronicity, like a cozy nest on a cold night.]