News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 594,046 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3765 on: March 04, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
I think what we're all really saying is... we need Bartlet for America.
M'lady.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3766 on: March 04, 2016, 09:09:53 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 04, 2016, 09:01:41 AM
I think what we're all really saying is... we need Bartlet for America.

I've been thinking about this quite a lot recently.  I got as far as half way through season five and finally gave up, but nonetheless, Bartlet is indeed exactly what America needs.  Perhaps they could just persuade Aaron Sorkin to run?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3767 on: March 04, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
Yeah. America needs another fairly ineffectual, center-left president who's a crypto-hawk. That'll solve everything.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3768 on: March 04, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »
Quote from: Bort on March 04, 2016, 09:19:17 AM
Yeah. America needs another fairly ineffectual, center-left president who's a crypto-hawk. That'll solve everything.

Are you talking about Clinton or Bartlett?

But yeah, as far as Clinton I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to think she'll improve our lot, but maybe, maybe it won't get that much worse. Hurray for America.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3769 on: March 04, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »

What's a crypto-hawk?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3770 on: March 04, 2016, 09:25:44 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 04, 2016, 09:24:03 AM

What's a crypto-hawk?

A genetically engineered bird that can decipher ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, and Bort is against this for some stupid fucking reason.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3771 on: March 04, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 04, 2016, 09:25:44 AM
Quote from: Tonker on March 04, 2016, 09:24:03 AM

What's a crypto-hawk?

A genetically engineered bird that can decipher ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, and Bort is against this for some stupid fucking reason.

I was going to give a sincere answer, but I like this better.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3772 on: March 04, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »

With a love of cocaine.

edited to add: talking about Sorkin, not Clinton/Bartlet.
M'lady.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3773 on: March 04, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »
I think the big point is, we strive for a politician who has ideals, and who earnestly tries to solve problems while surrounding him or herself with intelligent people.

Y'know, honestly, in many ways Obama has been excellent. Especially when you see the kind of insane opposition he's had. In other ways, particularly in how he's handled drone killings, he's been disappointing and awful. I suspect, though, that his accomplishments will be remembered more than his failures and mistakes.

The most frustrating part of this election is that I don't see that candidate anywhere. The Democrats swept through in 2008 with a young, exciting idealist, and then they decided that his replacement should be a senior citizen whose morals are ambiguous at best. The Republicans at least trotted out some of their young superstars, but either they are too boring, too robotic, too assholeish, or too Latin for the GOP base. They're losing to a morally ambiguous senior citizen as well.

It would be nice, really really nice, to see the next generation step in and take direction.
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3774 on: March 04, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 04, 2016, 09:39:40 AM
I think the big point is, we strive for a politician who has ideals, and who earnestly tries to solve problems while surrounding him or herself with intelligent people.

Y'know, honestly, in many ways Obama has been excellent. Especially when you see the kind of insane opposition he's had. In other ways, particularly in how he's handled drone killings, he's been disappointing and awful. I suspect, though, that his accomplishments will be remembered more than his failures and mistakes.

The most frustrating part of this election is that I don't see that candidate anywhere. The Democrats swept through in 2008 with a young, exciting idealist, and then they decided that his replacement should be a senior citizen whose morals are ambiguous at best. The Republicans at least trotted out some of their young superstars, but either they are too boring, too robotic, too assholeish, or too Latin for the GOP base. They're losing to a morally ambiguous senior citizen as well.

It would be nice, really really nice, to see the next generation step in and take direction.

This right here. It certainly helps your popularity when some of your worst policies are inflicted on unpopular people who live very far away. It also helps that stuff like that probably won't really come back to bite us until he's been out of office for a couple of decades.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3775 on: March 04, 2016, 09:50:54 AM »
Quote from: CT III on March 04, 2016, 09:47:21 AM

This right here. It certainly helps your popularity when some of your worst policies are inflicted on unpopular people who live very far away. It also helps that stuff like that probably won't really come back to bite us until he's been out of office for a couple of decades.

See but the fact is much of the democratic base thinks drone killings are good and stuff. I mean your blue collar democrats want someone to make them feel "safe" through the killing of brown people just like your average republican does. If Obama were to stop the drone killings more people would call him "soft on terrorism" and accuse him of leaving America vulnerable to attack than would praise him.

So it's going to take a long time and some self-reflection we'll absolutely never do before we come around to saying the drones were a bad idea.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3776 on: March 04, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 04, 2016, 09:50:54 AM
Quote from: CT III on March 04, 2016, 09:47:21 AM

See but the fact is much of the democratic base thinks drone killings are good and stuff. I mean your blue collar democrats want someone to make them feel "safe" through the killing of brown people just like your average republican does. If Obama were to stop the drone killings more people would call him "soft on terrorism" and accuse him of leaving America vulnerable to attack than would praise him.

So it's going to take a long time and some self-reflection we'll absolutely never do before we come around to saying the drones were a bad idea.

Yep.  I could add more but I'd just be saying what SKO said, less well.  Nailed it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3777 on: March 04, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »

What the Democratic Party really needs is another Kennedy. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3778 on: March 04, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 04, 2016, 12:00:37 PM

I thought that was who Obama was supposed to be. Which I guess makes Hillary LBJ in this scenario, and yeah that fits. Comes in with a reputation of being an abrasive pragmatist who "gets shit done" on the domestic side and ends up mostly just waging a pointless war and paving the way for whatever the 2020 version of Nixon is going to be? I can see it.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3779 on: March 04, 2016, 12:22:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 04, 2016, 12:17:00 PM
Quote from: CBStew on March 04, 2016, 12:00:37 PM

I thought that was who Obama was supposed to be. Which I guess makes Hillary LBJ in this scenario, and yeah that fits. Comes in with a reputation of being an abrasive pragmatist who "gets shit done" on the domestic side and ends up mostly just waging a pointless war and paving the way for whatever the 2020 version of Nixon is going to be? I can see it.

Probably Rubio in a rebooted Republican party.
M'lady.