News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 593,267 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3780 on: March 04, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 04, 2016, 12:17:00 PM
Quote from: CBStew on March 04, 2016, 12:00:37 PM

What the Democratic Party really needs is another Kennedy.  

I thought that was who Obama was supposed to be. Which I guess makes Hillary LBJ in this scenario, and yeah that fits. Comes in with a reputation of being an abrasive pragmatist who "gets shit done" on the domestic side and ends up mostly just waging a pointless war and paving the way for whatever the 2020 version of Nixon is going to be? I can see it.

I've never understood the fascination with Kennedy, the guy was 100% image accomplished almost nothing while in office.  It was LBJ that pushed Kennedy's legislative slate through Congress after his death.  The man put the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Right Act, food stamps and Medicare through a Congress that was mostly hostile to them.  Whatever you think of the programs and the man, it's probably one of the greatest Presidential legislative feats in history (at least in the 20th century).  Not to forgive the Tonkin Resolution and the ramp up in Vietnam, but LBJ's reputation for somebody who "gets shit done" is pretty well deserved.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3781 on: March 04, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 04, 2016, 12:46:24 PM

I thought that was who Obama was supposed to be. Which I guess makes Hillary LBJ in this scenario, and yeah that fits. Comes in with a reputation of being an abrasive pragmatist who "gets shit done" on the domestic side and ends up mostly just waging a pointless war and paving the way for whatever the 2020 version of Nixon is going to be? I can see it.

I've never understood the fascination with Kennedy, the guy was 100% image accomplished almost nothing while in office.  It was LBJ that pushed Kennedy's legislative slate through Congress after his death.  The man put the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Right Act, food stamps and Medicare through a Congress that was mostly hostile to them.  Whatever you think of the programs and the man, it's probably one of the greatest Presidential legislative feats in history (at least in the 20th century).  Not to forgive the Tonkin Resolution and the ramp up in Vietnam, but LBJ's reputation for somebody who "gets shit done" is pretty well deserved.

Agreed. Kennedy was a fraud and LBJ was definitely a mover and shaker, I'm just saying that nobody ever focused on any domestic successes, they focused on his abrasive personality and the unpopular war, and he got ousted in short order. I could easily see the same happening to Clinton.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3782 on: March 04, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »
Last night I swear to God, I dreamed that Stew picked me up at the airport in San Francisco and drove me to my hotel, where one of my friends from high school - someone I haven't spoken with in decades - threw money at him like he was a cab driver. I was appalled, but hastily grabbed my bags out of the trunk and went into the hotel. Once in my room i realized I'd grabbed a duffle bag with a bunch of Stew's t-shirts and a pair of shoes in it. My dream ended with me trying to send a coherent text, first apologizing for my "friend" and asking if he'd like to come back and get his clothes.

So fucking weird.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3783 on: March 04, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »

I've never understood the fascination with Kennedy, the guy was 100% image accomplished almost nothing while in office.  It was LBJ that pushed Kennedy's legislative slate through Congress after his death.  The man put the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Right Act, food stamps and Medicare through a Congress that was mostly hostile to them.  Whatever you think of the programs and the man, it's probably one of the greatest Presidential legislative feats in history (at least in the 20th century).  Not to forgive the Tonkin Resolution and the ramp up in Vietnam, but LBJ's reputation for somebody who "gets shit done" is pretty well deserved.

Sidebar: I think Truman and Johnson both are some of the most underrated presidents in American history in terms of what they managed to achieve particularly in domestic legislation. Both just got eaten up by unpopular wars. I put Truman in my Top Ten usually.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3784 on: March 04, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »

Kennedy as a mythological being (Bobby as well) was something the Democrats have had to cling to as an ideal. And as CT points out, his image is pretty much the polar opposite to what he actually was. That myth is the main reason Republicans decided they needed their own Kennedy, and re-invented Reagan as a fiscal conservative who was ardently pro-gun and tough on terrorism.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3785 on: March 04, 2016, 01:07:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 04, 2016, 12:51:51 PM

I've never understood the fascination with Kennedy, the guy was 100% image accomplished almost nothing while in office.  It was LBJ that pushed Kennedy's legislative slate through Congress after his death.  The man put the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Right Act, food stamps and Medicare through a Congress that was mostly hostile to them.  Whatever you think of the programs and the man, it's probably one of the greatest Presidential legislative feats in history (at least in the 20th century).  Not to forgive the Tonkin Resolution and the ramp up in Vietnam, but LBJ's reputation for somebody who "gets shit done" is pretty well deserved.

Sidebar: I think Truman and Johnson both are some of the most underrated presidents in American history in terms of what they managed to achieve particularly in domestic legislation. Both just got eaten up by unpopular wars. I put Truman in my Top Ten usually.

Top 10 for most people killed while in office?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3786 on: March 04, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 04, 2016, 12:58:15 PM

Kennedy as a mythological being (Bobby as well) was something the Democrats have had to cling to as an ideal. And as CT points out, his image is pretty much the polar opposite to what he actually was. That myth is the main reason Republicans decided they needed their own Kennedy, and re-invented Reagan as a fiscal conservative who was ardently pro-gun and tough on terrorism.
I subscribe to your comments about our attitudes toward the Kennedy.  We really did think that we were going to live in Camelot.  I also tend to agree with your comments about Republicans' ideas about Reagan, but I don't think that anyone gave much thought to terrorism at the time.  9/11 changed that.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3787 on: March 04, 2016, 01:11:32 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 04, 2016, 01:09:35 PM

I subscribe to your comments about our attitudes toward the Kennedy.  We really did think that we were going to live in Camelot.  I also tend to agree with your comments about Republicans' ideas about Reagan, but I don't think that anyone gave much thought to terrorism at the time.  9/11 changed that.

The Ayatollah gave people a bit of a something to chew on. But it was nothing like the post-9/11 scare that moves political mountains.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3788 on: March 04, 2016, 01:13:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 04, 2016, 12:48:36 PM

Agreed. Kennedy was a fraud and LBJ was definitely a mover and shaker, I'm just saying that nobody ever focused on any domestic successes, they focused on his abrasive personality and the unpopular war, and he got ousted in short order. I could easily see the same happening to Clinton.

Yeah, the part I objected to was that Clinton hasn't shown anywhere near the effectiveness of LBJ at this point in her career.  But, I guess the major shift in the analogy is that the George Wallace equivalent is running on the GOP side.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3789 on: March 04, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 04, 2016, 01:13:56 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 04, 2016, 12:48:36 PM

Yeah, the part I objected to was that Clinton hasn't shown anywhere near the effectiveness of LBJ at this point in her career.  But, I guess the major shift in the analogy is that the George Wallace equivalent is running on the GOP side.

The critics were right. All these reboots and remakes suck.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3790 on: March 04, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 04, 2016, 01:09:35 PM

The one time terrorists hit the US, in Lebanon, he cut and ran.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3791 on: March 04, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 04, 2016, 12:48:42 PM
Last night I swear to God, I dreamed that Stew picked me up at the airport in San Francisco and drove me to my hotel, where one of my friends from high school - someone I haven't spoken with in decades - threw money at him like he was a cab driver. I was appalled, but hastily grabbed my bags out of the trunk and went into the hotel. Once in my room i realized I'd grabbed a duffle bag with a bunch of Stew's t-shirts and a pair of shoes in it. My dream ended with me trying to send a coherent text, first apologizing for my "friend" and asking if he'd like to come back and get his clothes.

So fucking weird.

Too many Desipio dreams lately. You better get a therapist or lay off the drugs before these dreams turn into vivid shirtless hugs and hand job exchanges at Tonker.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3792 on: March 04, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 04, 2016, 01:33:41 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 04, 2016, 12:48:42 PM

So fucking weird.

Too many Desipio dreams lately. You better get a therapist or lay off the drugs before these dreams turn into vivid shirtless hugs and hand job exchanges CLUB NIGHTS! at Tonker.
TIME TO POST!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3793 on: March 04, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »
I had a dream the other day that right before work, I accidentally ate a THC gummy bear. I felt intense panic because it's probably not a good idea to do my job while high.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3794 on: March 04, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 04, 2016, 02:34:45 PM
I had a dream the other day that right before work, I accidentally ate a THC gummy bear. I felt intense panic because it's probably not a good idea to do my job while high.

Please. If Doc Ellis could do his job while tripping his face off, you can handle it.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck