News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 593,007 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3840 on: April 01, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2016, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: CBStew on April 01, 2016, 09:27:08 AM
Starting decade number nine today

Happy Birthday. You give me hope that when I am 90 I might also still be hanging out with a bunch of weirdos on the internet.
This is my ninth decade, not my 90th year.  80 is the new 79.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3841 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 01, 2016, 10:25:58 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2016, 10:06:54 AM

Happy Birthday. You give me hope that when I am 90 I might also still be hanging out with a bunch of weirdos on the internet.
This is my ninth decade, not my 90th year.  80 is the new 79.

Math is dumb
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3842 on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 01, 2016, 09:47:08 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 01, 2016, 09:39:56 AM

Here's where you clear your backlog of Cubs championships.
I am convinced that Epstink has a season long birthday present for all of us.

Cant wait to find out.  Happy Birthday Stew.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3843 on: April 01, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
I want this car.

M'lady.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3844 on: April 01, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 01, 2016, 01:20:47 PM
I want this car.

One of those just moved into my neighborhood.  No, not my garage.  Around the corner and up the block, for you "Vic and Sade" fans.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3845 on: April 01, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
You're thinking the Model S. This is the Model 3, which is only available for pre-order right now. Fork and I were two of the 200k-or-so people to reserve this car yesterday.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3846 on: April 01, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »

Happy birthday Stew! Here's hoping you see at least twenty Cubs chammenships in your lifetime. At a minimum.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3847 on: April 01, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 01, 2016, 01:59:17 PM
You're thinking the Model S. This is the Model 3, which is only available for pre-order right now. Fork and I were two of the 200k-or-so people to reserve this car yesterday.

No reason for that to be in this thread of shame.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3848 on: April 01, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 01, 2016, 03:32:37 PM

Do we have a thread of humble brags?
M'lady.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3849 on: April 01, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 01, 2016, 03:35:20 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 01, 2016, 03:32:37 PM

Do we have a thread of humble brags?

Yes.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3850 on: April 01, 2016, 04:12:33 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 01, 2016, 01:52:43 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on April 01, 2016, 01:20:47 PM
I want this car.

One of those just moved into my neighborhood.  No, not my garage.  Around the corner and up the block, for you "Vic and Sade" fans.

Pretty sure the Vic and Sade fans on this messageboard can meet at a table for 2.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3851 on: April 02, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »

Stew, my father--who's 82 and, fortunately, still cognizant enough where we can (and do) bullshit a bunch about the current Cubs-- helped me appreciate your particular generation's existence as a Cubs fan.  Like you (and Andy's dad and Fork's dad and probably flannj's dad and several others' dads here), my dad came of age when the "brand" of the Cubs was still on par with any other elite franchise in all sports (but, of course, being the early 1940's, only 1 sport mattered at this point).  My dad's father (my grandfather) would relate to his young son tales of players from the recently-ended National League power of the 30's--my grandfather's favorite apparently being Riggs Stephenson (though Kiki (pr. "kai-kai") Cuyler (so..."kai-kai-kai-ler") was a close second.  Hack Wilson, of course, and of course Hartnett.  See for my dad's dad, those guys not only evoked a recent great team, but of course carried on a winning tradition which had been--but for the 1890's-- one of the more consistently safe bets since the franchise had been founded in 1876.  Sure, the 1920's hadn't been kind to the franchise--wherein the Cubs had finished in the dreaded "second division" in  5 of the 6  seasons between 1920 and 1925 (before eventually capturing a pennant in '29 after an 11 year drought).  In fact, in spite of going pennant-less between 1910 and 1918 the franchise finished in the second division only twice in those years.  Prior to 1910, of course, they had established themselves as the per-eminent power in baseball, not only winning the pennant from '06--'08, but setting single season, consecutive season and three-consecutive-season records for wins (in spite of playing 152 ('06 & '07) or 154 ('08) game seasons).

The point is, Stew, you grew up with a team that had a completely different perception from the one that every subsequent generation of Cubs fans grew up with.  Winning--or at least competing to win-- was an expectation.

And instead you got to witness the first stretch of consistently bad baseball in franchise history (aside from an admittedly awful 11-year run between 1892 and 1902 wherein the Orphans finished in the second division 9 times (although they did finish over .500 in 4 of those 11 seasons total)).  

To wit: between 1947 and 1966--20 straight seasons--the Cubs failed to finish a regular season (Ha!  Like there'd be any other kind during this time) over .500 a single fucking time-- having only finished 77-77 in 1954.  They lost 100 games for the first--and second-- time in franchise history in 1962 (and '66).   What followed was of course some macabre theater that still haunts today's baby boomers, followed by 4 decades of varying combinations of short-term bad, short-term really-bad, lots of meh, short-term HOLY SHIT WE'RE GOING ALL THE WAY! and whatnot.

This is all to say, Stew, that you better fucking plan on hanging around for another 10 years at least because you're about to see a long-awaited historic correction and you and all of your generation of Cubs fans deserve this shit more than anybody.  Mazel Tov.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3852 on: April 03, 2016, 09:09:38 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 02, 2016, 07:03:20 PM

Stew, my father--who's 82 and, fortunately, still cognizant enough where we can (and do) bullshit a bunch about the current Cubs-- helped me appreciate your particular generation's existence as a Cubs fan.  Like you (and Andy's dad and Fork's dad and probably flannj's dad and several others' dads here), my dad came of age when the "brand" of the Cubs was still on par with any other elite franchise in all sports (but, of course, being the early 1940's, only 1 sport mattered at this point).  My dad's father (my grandfather) would relate to his young son tales of players from the recently-ended National League power of the 30's--my grandfather's favorite apparently being Riggs Stephenson (though Kiki (pr. "kai-kai") Cuyler (so..."kai-kai-kai-ler") was a close second.  Hack Wilson, of course, and of course Hartnett.  See for my dad's dad, those guys not only evoked a recent great team, but of course carried on a winning tradition which had been--but for the 1890's-- one of the more consistently safe bets since the franchise had been founded in 1876.  Sure, the 1920's hadn't been kind to the franchise--wherein the Cubs had finished in the dreaded "second division" in  5 of the 6  seasons between 1920 and 1925 (before eventually capturing a pennant in '29 after an 11 year drought).  In fact, in spite of going pennant-less between 1910 and 1918 the franchise finished in the second division only twice in those years.  Prior to 1910, of course, they had established themselves as the per-eminent power in baseball, not only winning the pennant from '06--'08, but setting single season, consecutive season and three-consecutive-season records for wins (in spite of playing 152 ('06 & '07) or 154 ('08) game seasons).

The point is, Stew, you grew up with a team that had a completely different perception from the one that every subsequent generation of Cubs fans grew up with.  Winning--or at least competing to win-- was an expectation.

And instead you got to witness the first stretch of consistently bad baseball in franchise history (aside from an admittedly awful 11-year run between 1892 and 1902 wherein the Orphans finished in the second division 9 times (although they did finish over .500 in 4 of those 11 seasons total)).  

To wit: between 1947 and 1966--20 straight seasons--the Cubs failed to finish a regular season (Ha!  Like there'd be any other kind during this time) over .500 a single fucking time-- having only finished 77-77 in 1954.  They lost 100 games for the first--and second-- time in franchise history in 1962 (and '66).   What followed was of course some macabre theater that still haunts today's baby boomers, followed by 4 decades of varying combinations of short-term bad, short-term really-bad, lots of meh, short-term HOLY SHIT WE'RE GOING ALL THE WAY! and whatnot.

This is all to say, Stew, that you better fucking plan on hanging around for another 10 years at least because you're about to see a long-awaited historic correction and you and all of your generation of Cubs fans deserve this shit more than anybody.  Mazel Tov.

We took the kids to a little league tournament this morning and I was chatting to a couple of the other Dads.  When I told them I'd been a Cubs' fan for getting on for twenty years, they yukked it up good and proper... until I mentioned Stew and how long he's been a Cubs' fan.  Even they couldn't bring themselves to take the piss out of that.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3853 on: April 03, 2016, 01:18:24 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 03, 2016, 09:09:38 AM
Quote from: PANK! on April 02, 2016, 07:03:20 PM

We took the kids to a little league tournament this morning and I was chatting to a couple of the other Dads.  When I told them I'd been a Cubs' fan for getting on for twenty years, they yukked it up good and proper... until I mentioned Stew and how long he's been a Cubs' fan.  Even they couldn't bring themselves to take the piss out of that.
Though Andy Pafko was (and is) my favorite Cub, I also think that Stan Hack belongs among the list of great Cubs.  (A .301 lifetime BA)  I also favored Peanuts Lowery and Phil Cavarretta.  Damn!  The Cubs sure had some heroes in the 1940's.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3854 on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:16 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 03, 2016, 01:18:24 PM

Though Andy Pafko was (and is) my favorite Cub, I also think that Stan Hack belongs among the list of great Cubs.  (A .301 lifetime BA)  I also favored Peanuts Lowery and Phil Cavarretta.  Damn!  The Cubs sure had some heroes in the 1940's.

The first glove my dad ever gave me was a Cavaretta-style "trapper" 1B glove. His favorite player was Hank Sauer.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16