News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 593,963 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3855 on: April 04, 2016, 01:54:06 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 03, 2016, 01:18:24 PM
Quote from: Tonker on April 03, 2016, 09:09:38 AM
Quote from: PANK! on April 02, 2016, 07:03:20 PM
Quote from: CBStew on April 01, 2016, 09:27:08 AM
Starting decade number nine today

Stew, my father--who's 82 and, fortunately, still cognizant enough where we can (and do) bullshit a bunch about the current Cubs-- helped me appreciate your particular generation's existence as a Cubs fan.  Like you (and Andy's dad and Fork's dad and probably flannj's dad and several others' dads here), my dad came of age when the "brand" of the Cubs was still on par with any other elite franchise in all sports (but, of course, being the early 1940's, only 1 sport mattered at this point).  My dad's father (my grandfather) would relate to his young son tales of players from the recently-ended National League power of the 30's--my grandfather's favorite apparently being Riggs Stephenson (though Kiki (pr. "kai-kai") Cuyler (so..."kai-kai-kai-ler") was a close second.  Hack Wilson, of course, and of course Hartnett.  See for my dad's dad, those guys not only evoked a recent great team, but of course carried on a winning tradition which had been--but for the 1890's-- one of the more consistently safe bets since the franchise had been founded in 1876.  Sure, the 1920's hadn't been kind to the franchise--wherein the Cubs had finished in the dreaded "second division" in  5 of the 6  seasons between 1920 and 1925 (before eventually capturing a pennant in '29 after an 11 year drought).  In fact, in spite of going pennant-less between 1910 and 1918 the franchise finished in the second division only twice in those years.  Prior to 1910, of course, they had established themselves as the per-eminent power in baseball, not only winning the pennant from '06--'08, but setting single season, consecutive season and three-consecutive-season records for wins (in spite of playing 152 ('06 & '07) or 154 ('08) game seasons).

The point is, Stew, you grew up with a team that had a completely different perception from the one that every subsequent generation of Cubs fans grew up with.  Winning--or at least competing to win-- was an expectation.

And instead you got to witness the first stretch of consistently bad baseball in franchise history (aside from an admittedly awful 11-year run between 1892 and 1902 wherein the Orphans finished in the second division 9 times (although they did finish over .500 in 4 of those 11 seasons total)).  

To wit: between 1947 and 1966--20 straight seasons--the Cubs failed to finish a regular season (Ha!  Like there'd be any other kind during this time) over .500 a single fucking time-- having only finished 77-77 in 1954.  They lost 100 games for the first--and second-- time in franchise history in 1962 (and '66).   What followed was of course some macabre theater that still haunts today's baby boomers, followed by 4 decades of varying combinations of short-term bad, short-term really-bad, lots of meh, short-term HOLY SHIT WE'RE GOING ALL THE WAY! and whatnot.

This is all to say, Stew, that you better fucking plan on hanging around for another 10 years at least because you're about to see a long-awaited historic correction and you and all of your generation of Cubs fans deserve this shit more than anybody.  Mazel Tov.

We took the kids to a little league tournament this morning and I was chatting to a couple of the other Dads.  When I told them I'd been a Cubs' fan for getting on for twenty years, they yukked it up good and proper... until I mentioned Stew and how long he's been a Cubs' fan.  Even they couldn't bring themselves to take the piss out of that.
Though Andy Pafko was (and is) my favorite Cub, I also think that Stan Hack belongs among the list of great Cubs.  (A .301 lifetime BA)  I also favored Peanuts Lowery and Phil Cavarretta.  Damn!  The Cubs sure had some heroes in the 1940's.

A guy I noticed never gets a lot of love was Bill Nicholson. Had some pretty good years, no?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3856 on: April 04, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 04, 2016, 01:54:06 PM

Stew, my father--who's 82 and, fortunately, still cognizant enough where we can (and do) bullshit a bunch about the current Cubs-- helped me appreciate your particular generation's existence as a Cubs fan.  Like you (and Andy's dad and Fork's dad and probably flannj's dad and several others' dads here), my dad came of age when the "brand" of the Cubs was still on par with any other elite franchise in all sports (but, of course, being the early 1940's, only 1 sport mattered at this point).  My dad's father (my grandfather) would relate to his young son tales of players from the recently-ended National League power of the 30's--my grandfather's favorite apparently being Riggs Stephenson (though Kiki (pr. "kai-kai") Cuyler (so..."kai-kai-kai-ler") was a close second.  Hack Wilson, of course, and of course Hartnett.  See for my dad's dad, those guys not only evoked a recent great team, but of course carried on a winning tradition which had been--but for the 1890's-- one of the more consistently safe bets since the franchise had been founded in 1876.  Sure, the 1920's hadn't been kind to the franchise--wherein the Cubs had finished in the dreaded "second division" in  5 of the 6  seasons between 1920 and 1925 (before eventually capturing a pennant in '29 after an 11 year drought).  In fact, in spite of going pennant-less between 1910 and 1918 the franchise finished in the second division only twice in those years.  Prior to 1910, of course, they had established themselves as the per-eminent power in baseball, not only winning the pennant from '06--'08, but setting single season, consecutive season and three-consecutive-season records for wins (in spite of playing 152 ('06 & '07) or 154 ('08) game seasons).

The point is, Stew, you grew up with a team that had a completely different perception from the one that every subsequent generation of Cubs fans grew up with.  Winning--or at least competing to win-- was an expectation.

And instead you got to witness the first stretch of consistently bad baseball in franchise history (aside from an admittedly awful 11-year run between 1892 and 1902 wherein the Orphans finished in the second division 9 times (although they did finish over .500 in 4 of those 11 seasons total)).  

To wit: between 1947 and 1966--20 straight seasons--the Cubs failed to finish a regular season (Ha!  Like there'd be any other kind during this time) over .500 a single fucking time-- having only finished 77-77 in 1954.  They lost 100 games for the first--and second-- time in franchise history in 1962 (and '66).   What followed was of course some macabre theater that still haunts today's baby boomers, followed by 4 decades of varying combinations of short-term bad, short-term really-bad, lots of meh, short-term HOLY SHIT WE'RE GOING ALL THE WAY! and whatnot.

This is all to say, Stew, that you better fucking plan on hanging around for another 10 years at least because you're about to see a long-awaited historic correction and you and all of your generation of Cubs fans deserve this shit more than anybody.  Mazel Tov.

We took the kids to a little league tournament this morning and I was chatting to a couple of the other Dads.  When I told them I'd been a Cubs' fan for getting on for twenty years, they yukked it up good and proper... until I mentioned Stew and how long he's been a Cubs' fan.  Even they couldn't bring themselves to take the piss out of that.
Though Andy Pafko was (and is) my favorite Cub, I also think that Stan Hack belongs among the list of great Cubs.  (A .301 lifetime BA)  I also favored Peanuts Lowery and Phil Cavarretta.  Damn!  The Cubs sure had some heroes in the 1940's.

A guy I noticed never gets a lot of love was Bill Nicholson. Had some pretty good years, no?
We used to refer to him as "Swish" Nicholson, because of his strikeouts.  It's terrible the way words change in their meanings.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3857 on: April 04, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 04, 2016, 03:10:26 PM

We used to refer to him as "Swish" Nicholson, because of his strikeouts.  It's terrible the way words change in their meanings.

He was a 4F destruction machine...Stew, didn't he almost his the CF scoreboard?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3858 on: April 04, 2016, 08:22:33 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 04, 2016, 03:10:26 PM

He lead the league in 1947 with a ridiculous 83 strikeouts.

I honestly have wondered for a while what happened in that era that seemed to reduce the number of strikeouts in the league. In 1946, the NL leader had 135, and while Bob Feller led the AL with 348, the next year he dropped off to 196, and no pitcher would strike out 200+ again until Herb Score did it in 1955.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3859 on: April 05, 2016, 08:38:30 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 04, 2016, 08:22:33 PM

He lead the league in 1947 with a ridiculous 83 strikeouts.

I honestly have wondered for a while what happened in that era that seemed to reduce the number of strikeouts in the league. In 1946, the NL leader had 135, and while Bob Feller led the AL with 348, the next year he dropped off to 196, and no pitcher would strike out 200+ again until Herb Score did it in 1955.

Negroes.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3860 on: April 13, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
My wife thinks I'm lame because I've been looking at pictures and watching videos of the new clubhouse.
M'lady.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3861 on: April 13, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 13, 2016, 12:15:53 PM
My wife thinks I'm lame because I've been looking at pictures and watching videos of the new clubhouse.

Right conclusion, wrong reason.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3862 on: April 13, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on April 13, 2016, 02:51:47 PM

...my wife thinks I'm lame because I play D&D?
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3863 on: April 13, 2016, 05:58:47 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 13, 2016, 03:58:46 PM

To be fair, much like for my own wife, there's a rich tapestry of reasons she thinks you're lame.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3864 on: April 13, 2016, 07:37:26 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 13, 2016, 05:58:47 PM

To be fair, much like for my own wife, there's a rich tapestry of reasons she thinks you're lame.

This is accurate.
M'lady.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3865 on: April 14, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 13, 2016, 07:37:26 PM

This is accurate.

My fiancee doesn't think I'm lame yet. Please don't tell her, ok?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3866 on: April 14, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2016, 12:24:09 PM

This is accurate.

Mate, I've met JPex.  She's way, way too smart not to have figured out what a numpty you are already.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3867 on: April 14, 2016, 01:04:07 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 14, 2016, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2016, 12:24:09 PM

This is accurate.

Mate, I've met JPex.  She's way, way too smart not to have figured out what a numpty you are already.

Wonder why she's playing coy about it. I'm worried.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3868 on: April 21, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »
...Prince doesn't really register for me.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3869 on: April 21, 2016, 03:19:38 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 21, 2016, 02:38:10 PM
...Prince doesn't really register for me.

BREAKING: White guy in central Illinois that thinks mayonnaise is "too spicy" not into Prince.

(I didn't really get into Prince until a few years ago)
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck