News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 595,066 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3975 on: May 24, 2016, 10:23:12 PM »
I will be too stressed out to watch tomorrow night's game.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3976 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:45 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 24, 2016, 07:16:34 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 24, 2016, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 24, 2016, 03:44:12 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 24, 2016, 02:34:04 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 24, 2016, 12:08:32 PM
...In a fit of rage last night I nearly bumped the "Gutless Fucking Assholes" thread, but no. Not for this team. Never for this team.

It was an awful game. I turned off the TV before I saw the asshole round second base and went straight to bed.

Since MLB.tv lags anywhere from 10-8,000 seconds behind real-time events, I saw what happened on Twitter and was able to turn off the TV before Warren threw the pitch. So that was nice.

When I'm streaming the game, my Score app will flash a Final Score notification while the last batter is still hitting. I need to remember to turn it off but I keep forgetting. Modern life is a bitch.

Well, since we're in the I admit it thread...

Not sure if this is the case for everyone, but I've noticed this season that MLB will typically send notifications of score changes about 10-15 seconds before it happens on MLB.TV. I stream about 90% of the games I watch, so I've sort of gotten used to occasionally sneaking a peak when watching games to see what's going to happen.

Went to my first game of the season in San Francisco on Saturday. Sat 150 feet from home plate ... watching the game live ... and still caught myself checking my phone a couple times to see if Lester would pitch out of the jam, Rizzo would knock in some runs, etc.

Spoiler alert: they didn't.

Which section? I was in 117 row A Sunday night. (Guh.)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3977 on: May 24, 2016, 11:41:25 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 24, 2016, 11:32:45 PM
...In a fit of rage last night I nearly bumped the "Gutless Fucking Assholes" thread, but no. Not for this team. Never for this team.

It was an awful game. I turned off the TV before I saw the asshole round second base and went straight to bed.

Since MLB.tv lags anywhere from 10-8,000 seconds behind real-time events, I saw what happened on Twitter and was able to turn off the TV before Warren threw the pitch. So that was nice.

When I'm streaming the game, my Score app will flash a Final Score notification while the last batter is still hitting. I need to remember to turn it off but I keep forgetting. Modern life is a bitch.

Not sure if this is the case for everyone, but I've noticed this season that MLB will typically send notifications of score changes about 10-15 seconds before it happens on MLB.TV. I stream about 90% of the games I watch, so I've sort of gotten used to occasionally sneaking a peak when watching games to see what's going to happen.

Went to my first game of the season in San Francisco on Saturday. Sat 150 feet from home plate ... watching the game live ... and still caught myself checking my phone a couple times to see if Lester would pitch out of the jam, Rizzo would knock in some runs, etc.

Same section, I think. Row 30, right in front of the press box.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3978 on: May 25, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 24, 2016, 11:41:25 PM

I guess it was West Coast Desipio night.  We were in Section 105 row 20.  Bumgarner pitched a helluva game, but Hendricks almost matched him.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3979 on: May 25, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 25, 2016, 09:51:07 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 24, 2016, 11:41:25 PM

I guess it was West Coast Desipio night.  We were in Section 105 row 20.  Bumgarner pitched a helluva game, but Hendricks almost matched him.

Sounds like a night Pen would be happy to be at

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3980 on: May 31, 2016, 02:59:35 AM »
...maybe it's Pavlovian - it's so often shortly followed by reward - but I don't mind Julianna Zobrist's song.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3981 on: May 31, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 31, 2016, 02:59:35 AM
...maybe it's Pavlovian - it's so often shortly followed by reward - but I don't mind Julianna Zobrist's song.

A lot of guys have switched to late 80s/early 90s music lately. Liking Bryant using Kriss Kross and Soler using C&C Music Factory.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3982 on: May 31, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
Is it wrong that, while I don't vilify PED users and I would welcome back the steroid era with open arms, I get kind of annoyed when all of these "ZOMG how is David Ortiz doing this at 40!" articles don't even mention the whole "suspended for performance enhancing drugs, which help guys defy aging curves" thing at all
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3983 on: May 31, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2016, 01:24:20 PM
Is it wrong that, while I don't vilify PED users and I would welcome back the steroid era with open arms, I get kind of annoyed when all of these "ZOMG how is David Ortiz doing this at 40!" articles don't even mention the whole "suspended for performance enhancing drugs, which help guys defy aging curves" thing at all

I was wondering the same thing about Bartolo.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3984 on: May 31, 2016, 01:31:14 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 31, 2016, 01:28:55 PM

I was wondering the same thing about Bartolo.

He used PEDs and he apparently might be kind of a dirtbag who hid a second family from his wife and children, but LOL HE'S SO FAT AND WOW LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS AT AGE 42, HERE'S A GIF.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3985 on: May 31, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »

From an article in 2007.

Quote from: David Ortiz
In fact, Ortiz isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there. He explained he no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3986 on: May 31, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on May 31, 2016, 01:41:07 PM

From an article in 2007.

In fact, Ortiz isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there. He explained he no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

He failed a PED test in 2003. The MLBPA confirmed this. It happened before the suspensions started, but he's still a guy who failed a test for PEDs. I don't care what an article said in 2007, I mean in 2016, as people write article after article about how "amazing" it is that he's putting up these kinds of numbers at 40 it just strikes me as odd that no one even mentions "oh yeah and he was most definitely caught once doing steroids, maybe that has something to do with this" in a year where baseless accusations against Jake Arrieta were national news.

Like I said, I don't care that he took steroids, I just think it's weird that, like, Jonah Keri can't even mention it while writing about how Ortiz is doing unbelievable things at age 40. It's not really unbelievable when we know a guy used PEDs at one point, for an undetermined length of time. Hell, I'd like to use it as evidence for why we should bring back PEDs.

"Hey guys, isn't sad as fucking hell what's happened to Ryan Howard? Look at David Ortiz! No one cares he did PEDs once, he's a lot of fun, let's give everyone the happy drugs!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3987 on: May 31, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
On the topic of PEDs, I think the Cubs should welcome Sosa back, because there were a few years where he made it really awesome to be a Cub fan.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3988 on: May 31, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2016, 02:09:32 PM

From an article in 2007.

He failed a PED test in 2003. The MLBPA confirmed this. It happened before the suspensions started, but he's still a guy who failed a test for PEDs. I don't care what an article said in 2007, I mean in 2016, as people write article after article about how "amazing" it is that he's putting up these kinds of numbers at 40 it just strikes me as odd that no one even mentions "oh yeah and he was most definitely caught once doing steroids, maybe that has something to do with this" in a year where baseless accusations against Jake Arrieta were national news.

Like I said, I don't care that he took steroids, I just think it's weird that, like, Jonah Keri can't even mention it while writing about how Ortiz is doing unbelievable things at age 40. It's not really unbelievable when we know a guy used PEDs at one point, for an undetermined length of time. Hell, I'd like to use it as evidence for why we should bring back PEDs.

"Hey guys, isn't sad as fucking hell what's happened to Ryan Howard? Look at David Ortiz! No one cares he did PEDs once, he's a lot of fun, let's give everyone the happy drugs!"

I understand your point. I'm just pointing out that he's been saying for nearly a decade now that he might have done steroids. And he's saying it with full knowledge that he was caught doing steroids. So for him to act indignant, he's just full of shit.
M'lady.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3989 on: May 31, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2016, 02:09:32 PM

From an article in 2007.

There's a pretty big fucking difference between Jonah Kerri and Stephen A Smith (or whatever St Louis dipshit writer decides to accuse Arrieta of PEDs this week).

Also, as someone who couldn't care less about PEDs and as someone who kind of hates the Red Sox, I'm king of enjoying what Ortiz is doing.  I just don't allow myself to get taken in by the whole cult of personality.  Shit, I'm not even sure I used "cult of personality" correctly there.