News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 593,754 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3990 on: May 31, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 31, 2016, 02:42:10 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2016, 02:09:32 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on May 31, 2016, 01:41:07 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2016, 01:24:20 PM
Is it wrong that, while I don't vilify PED users and I would welcome back the steroid era with open arms, I get kind of annoyed when all of these "ZOMG how is David Ortiz doing this at 40!" articles don't even mention the whole "suspended for performance enhancing drugs, which help guys defy aging curves" thing at all

From an article in 2007.

Quote from: David Ortiz
In fact, Ortiz isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there. He explained he no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

He failed a PED test in 2003. The MLBPA confirmed this. It happened before the suspensions started, but he's still a guy who failed a test for PEDs. I don't care what an article said in 2007, I mean in 2016, as people write article after article about how "amazing" it is that he's putting up these kinds of numbers at 40 it just strikes me as odd that no one even mentions "oh yeah and he was most definitely caught once doing steroids, maybe that has something to do with this" in a year where baseless accusations against Jake Arrieta were national news.

Like I said, I don't care that he took steroids, I just think it's weird that, like, Jonah Keri can't even mention it while writing about how Ortiz is doing unbelievable things at age 40. It's not really unbelievable when we know a guy used PEDs at one point, for an undetermined length of time. Hell, I'd like to use it as evidence for why we should bring back PEDs.

"Hey guys, isn't sad as fucking hell what's happened to Ryan Howard? Look at David Ortiz! No one cares he did PEDs once, he's a lot of fun, let's give everyone the happy drugs!"

There's a pretty big fucking difference between Jonah Kerri and Stephen A Smith (or whatever St Louis dipshit writer decides to accuse Arrieta of PEDs this week).

Also, as someone who couldn't care less about PEDs and as someone who kind of hates the Red Sox, I'm king of enjoying what Ortiz is doing.  I just don't allow myself to get taken in by the whole cult of personality.  Shit, I'm not even sure I used "cult of personality" correctly there.

I get that, Keri was just the one I saw today, there've been countless "oh man look at David Ortiz aging like a fine wine articles". I mean, shouldn't we have expected a Steven A Smith type to go contrarian dickbag and start screaming "HE DID PEDS"? There just seems to be a general consensus to lay off him, which I think is just kind of weird when it's an actual factor that might help answer the question "HOW IS  HE DOING THIS AT AGE 40" that so many people are asking. That...really might be how he's doing this, guys. He's done it before and we know he has.

Like I said, I am also enjoying what Ortiz is doing, he's fun to watch and always has been. I don't care about PEDs either, it's just a bizarre lie of omission for me that it's just completely ignored that he tested positive when people are discussing his miracle season. I enjoyed what A-Rod did last year, too, in his age 39 season or whatever, but you didn't see anyone (even the Pro A-Rod crowd) completely ignoring his history.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3991 on: May 31, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
It's ok to take steroids if you're fat. Everybody knows that. Shut up and drink your shake.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3992 on: June 02, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »
I had no idea people loved Craig Sager so much.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3993 on: June 02, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
I wonder how much better this team would be if Schwarber was playing.
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3994 on: June 02, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 02, 2016, 11:54:03 AM
I had no idea people loved Craig Sager so much.

People love you more when you've got one foot in the grave

Quote from: Canadouche on June 02, 2016, 12:54:32 PM

I sometimes forget he's on the team

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3995 on: June 02, 2016, 01:10:55 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 02, 2016, 12:54:32 PM

Intrepid Reader: Head Moran

August.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3996 on: June 13, 2016, 01:09:40 AM »
... I think the new package stovetop instructions for preparing frozen White Castles represent wishful, or at least completely half-assed, thinking.

Putting foil on the bottom of a steamer basket is merely belaying the problem.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3997 on: June 13, 2016, 08:12:38 AM »
...Last night, I dreamt that Deshaies died over the weekend and it was so real to me that I googled this morning to make sure he was alive

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3998 on: June 13, 2016, 04:35:03 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 13, 2016, 08:12:38 AM
...Last night, I dreamt that Deshaies died over the weekend and it was so real to me that I googled this morning to make sure he was alive

I'm not a shrink, but there may be some issues to work out in therapy here.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3999 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:09 PM »
... Parchment paper seems to be working perfectly.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4000 on: June 13, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 13, 2016, 10:00:09 PM
... Parchment paper seems to be working perfectly.

Also works as an excellent surface on which to scrawl your manifesto.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4001 on: June 15, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
I don't want Jay Bruce.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4002 on: June 23, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
...I don't mind it when the Cubs lose a game that Lackey starts.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4003 on: June 23, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2016, 11:57:56 AM
...I don't mind it when the Cubs lose a game that Lackey starts.

Jesus, Stew.

EDIT: Yeah, I know.  No judgment in this thread.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4004 on: June 23, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »
...every time I see Chuck review a Pixar movie I'm tempted to give Oleg twenty bucks to describe the movie while baked.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16