News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 592,650 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4095 on: July 25, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2016, 02:25:38 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 25, 2016, 02:13:30 PM
Make no mistake, I would drastically prefer a no-Ben Steelers team. 

Unfortunately, there are plenty of other shitheads on the team (and throughout the NFL) that would make fielding of team of "good guys" near impossible. 

The Cubs had seemed much closer to getting there, at least says guy who "knows" the players through watching them on TV and stalking them and their WAGs on Instagram.

The casualty in all of this is the illusion that the Cubs were doing things the "right" way both from a front office standpoint and from a moral standpoint. All the fun stuff and the happy go lucky guys and the pajamas and the dance parties were fun, but at the end of the day it's still a business to them and it was probably inevitable they'd bring in a guy who shattered that illusion. Hell, statistics say there's probably already a few guys in that locker room who have laid their hands on women before. This franchise once made me root for Milton Bradley, however briefly, and I don't think Chapman could even touch him in the scumbag department.

I think what we're really sad about is losing the right to be even more smug about how awesome our team is. They're like everyone else, they're just hopefully better on the field, because they aren't better off of it.

In draft after draft since the new regime took over we've heard about how much they value and prioritize character when making their selection. 

So either that's all bullshit, or it's not important when the W.S. is within grasp. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4096 on: July 25, 2016, 02:41:42 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 25, 2016, 02:40:16 PM

Unfortunately, there are plenty of other shitheads on the team (and throughout the NFL) that would make fielding of team of "good guys" near impossible. 

The Cubs had seemed much closer to getting there, at least says guy who "knows" the players through watching them on TV and stalking them and their WAGs on Instagram.

The casualty in all of this is the illusion that the Cubs were doing things the "right" way both from a front office standpoint and from a moral standpoint. All the fun stuff and the happy go lucky guys and the pajamas and the dance parties were fun, but at the end of the day it's still a business to them and it was probably inevitable they'd bring in a guy who shattered that illusion. Hell, statistics say there's probably already a few guys in that locker room who have laid their hands on women before. This franchise once made me root for Milton Bradley, however briefly, and I don't think Chapman could even touch him in the scumbag department.

I think what we're really sad about is losing the right to be even more smug about how awesome our team is. They're like everyone else, they're just hopefully better on the field, because they aren't better off of it.

In draft after draft since the new regime took over we've heard about how much they value and prioritize character when making their selection. 

So either that's all bullshit, or it's not important when the W.S. is within grasp. 

It's both
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4097 on: July 25, 2016, 02:42:25 PM »
Although for what it's worth (very little), Cubs were smart enough to have Chapman and the team issue a statement of apology for "the incident" before he ever takes the mound.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4098 on: July 25, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2016, 02:41:42 PM

It's both

Well, I'm naive and idealistic and even at 39 years old, I still believe in a world where it's possible to build a great baseball team without (total) scumbags.

Not asking for a team of Kris Bryants (he says carefully) but at least a world where the worst guy is John Lackey, who is probably just a jerk and not physically abusive to women. 

It's over and done now, but was this package really not enough to get Andrew Miller instead? 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4099 on: July 25, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2016, 02:42:25 PM
Although for what it's worth (very little), Cubs were smart enough to have Chapman and the team issue a statement of apology for "the incident" before he ever takes the mound.

His statement says he regrets not exercising better judgment and is "truly sorry" for that, which is as close as he's come to a full apology for it. His statement also says he and his girlfriend are working on strengthening their relationship. (Which raises eyebrows for the implication that she didn't share in strengthening it enough, and so what happened in October was the fault of both and not the violent reaction of a maniac). The statement sounds ok on its surface but when you start parsing and analyzing it, it doesn't really move the ball very far.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4100 on: July 25, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 25, 2016, 02:48:02 PM

It's both

Well, I'm naive and idealistic and even at 39 years old, I still believe in a world where it's possible to build a great baseball team without (total) scumbags.

Not asking for a team of Kris Bryants (he says carefully) but at least a world where the worst guy is John Lackey, who is probably just a jerk and not physically abusive to women. 

It's over and done now, but was this package really not enough to get Andrew Miller instead?

This is what I want to know. Was it really Schwarber or nothing or could they have added to this package to pry Miller loose, let the Yankees resign Chapman or whatever, and keep the Super Happy Party Room Cubs feeling alive?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4101 on: July 25, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 25, 2016, 02:48:29 PM

His statement says he regrets not exercising better judgment and is "truly sorry" for that, which is as close as he's come to a full apology for it. His statement also says he and his girlfriend are working on strengthening their relationship. (Which raises eyebrows for the implication that she didn't share in strengthening it enough, and so what happened in October was the fault of both and not the violent reaction of a maniac). The statement sounds ok on its surface but when you start parsing and analyzing it, it doesn't really move the ball very far.

Yeah. "I regret not exercising better judgment" is pretty soft. Not that he had anything to do with writing it, but still.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4102 on: July 25, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 25, 2016, 02:51:55 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 25, 2016, 02:48:02 PM

It's both

This is what I want to know. Was it really Schwarber or nothing or could they have added to this package to pry Miller loose, let the Yankees resign Chapman or whatever, and keep the Super Happy Party Room Cubs feeling alive?

Doesn't sound like it. Cashman had to basically beg Steinbrenner to give permission to let him trade Chapman, and Steinbrenner only agreed because Chapman had already rejected their extension offer. Supposedly they were still waiting to see how this next week of games goes before deciding whether or not to move Beltran, it sounds like Miller really was going to be moved for Schwarber or not at all, because the Yankees owner is delusional enough to think they'll be fine in 2017.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4103 on: July 25, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 25, 2016, 02:58:14 PM

Yeah. "I regret not exercising better judgment" is pretty soft. Not that he had anything to do with writing it, but still.

It is weak, but like Chuck D pointed out there's enough reasonable doubt that maybe all he did was fire a gun into the wall of his garage (which is still fucked up), but what really is a proper punishment for that? He's served his suspension and now issued a (weak) apology. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect much more of a response than that. Doesn't make me feel any less queasy about him but I am forced to kind of adopt the stance that if he's done all he can be expected to do to earn the right to play major league baseball again it's probably Theo's job to make sure that he's a Cub if he's the best guy available.

I don't know. This shit is hard.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4104 on: July 25, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2016, 03:06:53 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 25, 2016, 02:58:14 PM

It is weak, but like Chuck D pointed out there's enough reasonable doubt that maybe all he did was fire a gun into the wall of his garage (which is still fucked up), but what really is a proper punishment for that? He's served his suspension and now issued a (weak) apology. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect much more of a response than that. Doesn't make me feel any less queasy about him but I am forced to kind of adopt the stance that if he's done all he can be expected to do to earn the right to play major league baseball again it's probably Theo's job to make sure that he's a Cub if he's the best guy available.

I don't know. This shit is hard.

I guess the fact that we live in a world where people I know can still be excited to watch a new Woody Allen movie should make me inured to this sort of glossing over of the crimes of the famous if they're entertaining enough. But it doesn't. This whole thing makes me feel sick to my heart.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4105 on: July 25, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
If we shunned artists, actors, athletes, performers, and so-on because of their personal behaviour, then we probably wouldn't have many heroes left. This doesn't justify getting behind Chapman, or forgiving him for his personal issues, but I think it's a point we need to consider. I think we kind of need to separate the performance from the performer, but we also need to acknowledge that most of these people we follow are pieces of shit in their personal lives. Under a microscope, when viewed at our worst, most of us would probably be seen as pieces of shit too, if only the public cared.

Regarding Chapman: everyone should have a second chance. I'm ok with him getting his. However, it would be a lot easier to give him a second chance if he actually acted contrite. But I think he knows that he's under a microscope and he's not likely to do that again, because the cost is going to be more than a suspension.
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4106 on: July 25, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 25, 2016, 04:01:38 PM
If we shunned artists, actors, athletes, performers, and so-on because of their personal behaviour, then we probably wouldn't have many heroes left. This doesn't justify getting behind Chapman, or forgiving him for his personal issues

Agreed.

Quotebut I think it's a point we need to consider. I think we kind of need to separate the performance from the performer, but we also need to acknowledge that most of these people we follow are pieces of shit in their personal lives. Under a microscope, when viewed at our worst, most of us would probably be seen as pieces of shit too, if only the public cared.

Regarding Chapman: everyone should have a second chance. I'm ok with him getting his. However, it would be a lot easier to give him a second chance if he actually acted contrite. But I think he knows that he's under a microscope and he's not likely to do that again, because the cost is going to be more than a suspension.

Wait, why did you keep going?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4107 on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 25, 2016, 04:27:02 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on July 25, 2016, 04:01:38 PM
If we shunned artists, actors, athletes, performers, and so-on because of their personal behaviour, then we probably wouldn't have many heroes left. This doesn't justify getting behind Chapman, or forgiving him for his personal issues

Agreed.

Quotebut I think it's a point we need to consider. I think we kind of need to separate the performance from the performer, but we also need to acknowledge that most of these people we follow are pieces of shit in their personal lives. Under a microscope, when viewed at our worst, most of us would probably be seen as pieces of shit too, if only the public cared.

Wait, why did you keep going?

It's called rationalizing. But make no mistake - while I can enjoy the Beatles despite the fact that Lennon and McCartney were both wife beaters, I have no intention of supporting Chapman. He is a piece of shit. But I wouldn't judge people who disagree with me.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4108 on: July 25, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »
...I stuck around to the end of the first night of the Democratic Convention, watching it on MSNBC when the reporters on the floor managed to find some Sanders' delegates who had IQs that were slightly lower than the current minimum wage who announced that they would not vote for Hilary Clinton in November.  For some reason they seem to think that this was a high school vote to see who was the most popular person in the senior class, not a process to choose the leader of the free world.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4109 on: July 27, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
I haven't started a Jack Davis Dead Pool thread because I don't have a good title.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck