News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Settle a Bet for Me  ( 2,637 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Settle a Bet for Me
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:23:48 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 11, 2016, 04:17:45 PM
Quote from: CT III on January 11, 2016, 04:14:29 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2016, 04:09:16 PM
DPD, but fine, when used 90% of the time in daily conversation, means "good but ordinary." I had a fine day= my day was good, but nothing of note occurred. Mediocre is definitely like "meets bare minimum standards but is in no way good."

used in a sentence: "Mark DeRosa is a fine second baseman" whereas "Jason Marquis is a mediocre 5th starter"

I feel like you came up with this example specifically to enrage Huey as much as possible.

So, bravo.

That lineup is not so fine.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 11, 2016, 04:23:48 PM
DPD, but fine, when used 90% of the time in daily conversation, means "good but ordinary." I had a fine day= my day was good, but nothing of note occurred. Mediocre is definitely like "meets bare minimum standards but is in no way good."

used in a sentence: "Mark DeRosa is a fine second baseman" whereas "Jason Marquis is a mediocre 5th starter"

I feel like you came up with this example specifically to enrage Huey as much as possible.

So, bravo.

Holy shit when did Lou Montanez ever actually play for the Cubs? AND BAT THIRD?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »

So, bravo.

Mark DeRosa was a fine second baseman.  He was also an annoying cockgoblin who shat the tub in big moments in successive postseasons but I've no truck with the notion that he was a fine second baseman. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
FILL IN THE BLANK:

This is a _____ (fine  mediocre) thread.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 07:32:43 PM »
When I first saw her
She looked alright,
Second time that I saw her
She looked outta sight.
And I said,
You're lookin' fine,
You're lookin' fine,
You're lookin' fine,
And I feel alright,
Yes, I feel alright.

She got all the angles,
So directly applied.
And when I see her,
I have to cry,
You're lookin' fine,
You're lookin' fine,
You're lookin' fine,
And I feel alright,
Yeah, I feel alright.

You're lookin' fine,
You're lookin' fine,
You're lookin' fine,
And I feel alright,
And I feel alright.

When Ray Davies writes a song that includes the word "mediocre" we can talk about synonyms.

(Yes I know it's not the same context that you're asking about but any chance to quote the Kinks I'm going for it. So screw all of you.)
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2016, 04:32:43 PM

So, bravo.

Nice choice(s), Ed/Jim.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 11, 2016, 08:13:22 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2016, 04:32:43 PM

So, bravo.

Nice choice(s), Ed/Jim.

Wow an outfield of Joyce DeWitt, Colvin, and Montanez? That's definitely sub-fine. How'd they ever win 8?