News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 10: The Show  ( 88,939 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 10: The Show
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on March 03, 2010, 12:05:14 PM
Re: Yeti's post.

The check-swing works amazingly well on a normal swing.  It's pretty much the only way I've taken any pitches.

Yea, I try to tell myself to use normal but right before he's about to throw, I switch to power. I have a tendency to want to fuck some shit up. My batting style is weird. I have issues when I see that the opposing pitcher has thrown only 12 pitches after 3 innings. Then I start taking pitches regardless. On my RTTS from last year, after 4 (or 5, can't remember) seasons I had 2 walks. I'm a hacker like you Kermit. I can guarantee that if we do this league, I will probably get my ass kicked because I'll probably swing at 95% of the pitches. Speaking of, Kerm, would you want to do it? Yesterday I just kind of assumed you would without checking first.

Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 03, 2010, 12:33:30 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on March 03, 2010, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on March 03, 2010, 12:21:47 PM

The check-swing works amazingly well on a normal swing.  It's pretty much the only way I've taken any pitches.

I found it a lot easier to read the strike zone this year. I have no problem getting to 3-0. I do notice that they seem to come back with a couple strikes after that at least but in the one game I played I took at least one base on balls.

It's MUCH easier.  But I'm still a hacker.  I really like that they don't always call pitches that hit the edge of the zone strikes.

So there's a little human error programmed in there?  Awesome.

Question:  do they have a lot of signature styles?  How does it compare to 2K?

There's a decent amount of human error. Balls called strikes and vice versa. I love that part. I get frustrated when I have strike 3 called a ball, but it's REAL that way. I also like that even if you do everything perfectly on your pitching it's not guaranteed to go where it's supposed to.

Signature styles are aplenty. When you create your RTTS player you can select from hundreds of batting styles (I chose Milton Bradley because I could). There are a bunch of pitcher styles. With both, there are current players and I'm pretty sure there are older players that you can select. I remember last years game, I had Satchel Paige's delivery. Speaking of RTTS, why the fuck can't they pronounce McCollough with the "f" sound at the end. Fuckers.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2010, 12:48:31 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 03, 2010, 12:41:43 PM

The check-swing works amazingly well on a normal swing.  It's pretty much the only way I've taken any pitches.

Yea, I try to tell myself to use normal but right before he's about to throw, I switch to power. I have a tendency to want to fuck some shit up. My batting style is weird. I have issues when I see that the opposing pitcher has thrown only 12 pitches after 3 innings. Then I start taking pitches regardless. On my RTTS from last year, after 4 (or 5, can't remember) seasons I had 2 walks. I'm a hacker like you Kermit. I can guarantee that if we do this league, I will probably get my ass kicked because I'll probably swing at 95% of the pitches. Speaking of, Kerm, would you want to do it? Yesterday I just kind of assumed you would without checking first.

Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 03, 2010, 12:33:30 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on March 03, 2010, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on March 03, 2010, 12:21:47 PM

The check-swing works amazingly well on a normal swing.  It's pretty much the only way I've taken any pitches.

I found it a lot easier to read the strike zone this year. I have no problem getting to 3-0. I do notice that they seem to come back with a couple strikes after that at least but in the one game I played I took at least one base on balls.

It's MUCH easier.  But I'm still a hacker.  I really like that they don't always call pitches that hit the edge of the zone strikes.

So there's a little human error programmed in there?  Awesome.

Question:  do they have a lot of signature styles?  How does it compare to 2K?

There's a decent amount of human error. Balls called strikes and vice versa. I love that part. I get frustrated when I have strike 3 called a ball, but it's REAL that way. I also like that even if you do everything perfectly on your pitching it's not guaranteed to go where it's supposed to.

Signature styles are aplenty. When you create your RTTS player you can select from hundreds of batting styles (I chose Milton Bradley because I could). There are a bunch of pitcher styles. With both, there are current players and I'm pretty sure there are older players that you can select. I remember last years game, I had Satchel Paige's delivery. Speaking of RTTS, why the fuck can't they pronounce McCollough with the "f" sound at the end. Fuckers.

I don't understand why you can't select Khalil for the first name audio, despite the fact that they say the name when Khalil Greene is up.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
Oh yea, another thing. On a wild pitch last night, Vasgersian said  "There goes a wild pitch that McCann McCann't get to". At least that's what I heard. If it's right, that's fucking awesome. I love this game right now.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 03, 2010, 12:52:37 PM
Oh yea, another thing. On a wild pitch last night, Vasgersian said  "There goes a wild pitch that McCann McCann't get to". At least that's what I heard. If it's right, that's fucking awesome. I love this game right now.

In other news, my PS3 is in Pennsylvania.  WANT THE SHOW NOW
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
I'd definitely sign up for the league, Yeti, and forget about it in 2 weeks.  If you guys keep me honest, I'll play.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 03, 2010, 12:48:31 PM
I don't understand why you can't select Khalil for the first name audio, despite the fact that they say the name when Khalil Greene is up.

Surprising since a baseball player with a crippling social anxiety disorder is pretty much
the defacto patron saint of video game baseball players.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »
Holy shit that was a ridiculous game I just played.  Mets vs. Cubs again, and after Zambrano was once again hit hard in the first inning, the Cubs were down 2-0.  He settled down after that and didn't allow another run, but Johan was dominating until the 6th inning, when Zambrano was hit by a pitch, Theriot walked, and then Nady lined a single to LF.  DLee came up to hit a sac fly and make it 2-1, but Aramis grounded into a DP to end the inning.  There was no more scoring until the bottom of the 9th when the Mets brought in K-Rod, and after a quick flyout by Aramis, Marlon Byrd (I already love him) hit a deep drive to LF to tie the game.  After Marmot dominated for two innings, he gave up a leadoff single to Francoeur and with 2 outs and 2 on, Luis Castillo got his 4th base hit of the game (nice job, Jim) to drive in the go-ahead run.  But in the bottom of the 11th, Byrd led off with a single, Soriano doubled to put runners at second and third.  Then, in the most unusual play I've ever seen, I somehow hit the L2 button to make both runners steal.  Byrd was easily tagged out at home, but Barajas threw 20 feet over Wright's head at 3B to allow Soriano to walk home and score the tying run.  In the 12th, the Mets had Pagan on 3rd with 1 out, and Tatis lined hard to Theriot, who somehow managed to fling himself hard enough towards the plate to throw out the runner.  Skip ahead to the bottom of the 13th, after a leadoff double by Nady, Lee strikes out swinging, Ramirez advances Nady on a groundout, and Byrd once again comes through with a hard hit ball that David Wright somehow managed to make a diving stop on, but Byrd beat the throw by less than half a step.  Cubs win!  Marlon Byrd and this game have mended my broken heart.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:54 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 03, 2010, 08:43:23 PM
Holy shit that was a ridiculous game I just played.  Mets vs. Cubs again, and after Zambrano was once again hit hard in the first inning, the Cubs were down 2-0.  He settled down after that and didn't allow another run, but Johan was dominating until the 6th inning, when Zambrano was hit by a pitch, Theriot walked, and then Nady lined a single to LF.  DLee came up to hit a sac fly and make it 2-1, but Aramis grounded into a DP to end the inning.  There was no more scoring until the bottom of the 9th when the Mets brought in K-Rod, and after a quick flyout by Aramis, Marlon Byrd (I already love him) hit a deep drive to LF to tie the game.  After Marmot dominated for two innings, he gave up a leadoff single to Francoeur and with 2 outs and 2 on, Luis Castillo got his 4th base hit of the game (nice job, Jim) to drive in the go-ahead run.  But in the bottom of the 11th, Byrd led off with a single, Soriano doubled to put runners at second and third.  Then, in the most unusual play I've ever seen, I somehow hit the L2 button to make both runners steal.  Byrd was easily tagged out at home, but Barajas threw 20 feet over Wright's head at 3B to allow Soriano to walk home and score the tying run.  In the 12th, the Mets had Pagan on 3rd with 1 out, and Tatis lined hard to Theriot, who somehow managed to fling himself hard enough towards the plate to throw out the runner.  Skip ahead to the bottom of the 13th, after a leadoff double by Nady, Lee strikes out swinging, Ramirez advances Nady on a groundout, and Byrd once again comes through with a hard hit ball that David Wright somehow managed to make a diving stop on, but Byrd beat the throw by less than half a step.  Cubs win!  Marlon Byrd and this game have mended my broken heart.

You left Marmol out there for 2+ innings?  What the crap, dude?
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2010, 10:37:24 PM »
Quote from: JD on March 03, 2010, 09:48:54 PM
Holy shit that was a ridiculous game I just played.  Mets vs. Cubs again, and after Zambrano was once again hit hard in the first inning, the Cubs were down 2-0.  He settled down after that and didn't allow another run, but Johan was dominating until the 6th inning, when Zambrano was hit by a pitch, Theriot walked, and then Nady lined a single to LF.  DLee came up to hit a sac fly and make it 2-1, but Aramis grounded into a DP to end the inning.  There was no more scoring until the bottom of the 9th when the Mets brought in K-Rod, and after a quick flyout by Aramis, Marlon Byrd (I already love him) hit a deep drive to LF to tie the game.  After Marmot dominated for two innings, he gave up a leadoff single to Francoeur and with 2 outs and 2 on, Luis Castillo got his 4th base hit of the game (nice job, Jim) to drive in the go-ahead run.  But in the bottom of the 11th, Byrd led off with a single, Soriano doubled to put runners at second and third.  Then, in the most unusual play I've ever seen, I somehow hit the L2 button to make both runners steal.  Byrd was easily tagged out at home, but Barajas threw 20 feet over Wright's head at 3B to allow Soriano to walk home and score the tying run.  In the 12th, the Mets had Pagan on 3rd with 1 out, and Tatis lined hard to Theriot, who somehow managed to fling himself hard enough towards the plate to throw out the runner.  Skip ahead to the bottom of the 13th, after a leadoff double by Nady, Lee strikes out swinging, Ramirez advances Nady on a groundout, and Byrd once again comes through with a hard hit ball that David Wright somehow managed to make a diving stop on, but Byrd beat the throw by less than half a step.  Cubs win!  Marlon Byrd and this game have mended my broken heart.

You left Marmol out there for 2+ innings?  What the crap, dude?

It's not like it was the All-Star game or anything.

Also, an amazing game against the Mets was followed by an absolutely shitty one.  Of course, I knew it was going to be shitty going in.  Note: Anyone who chooses to use a pitcher significantly worse than the other starters on a team, is clearly going to exploit something very cheap with that pitcher.  And that's exactly what happened when this guy chose to use Oliver Perez instead of Johan Santana.  It's like in MVP 2005, when people would pick David Wells because his curveball dropped across the entire screen, or Shingo Takatsu (as a starter, somehow) because his changeup defied the laws of physics.  I'm going to make my first Weebsian Call of Unrealism of this game because Oliver Perez should have walked at least 11 batters in his start, instead of throwing a changeup that drops 2 feet with pinpoint accuracy.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »
in the most unusual play I've ever seen

Despite being a staggering nerd myself, watch some real baseball sometimes.  A single
wild throw from a catcher isn't exactly one for the all time highlight real.  And from the
video game angle, if you're going for that, all kinds of crazy shit happens all the time like
home runs that go through the wall or guys with broken arms going 5/5 with 4 HRs
(said dude being Benito Santiago in my case).

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »
I have to figure out something with this hitting. Getting shut out 2 games in a row (one 11 innings) is not fun. It's only been 25 innings since I've got a run. Fuck this.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 04, 2010, 12:43:02 AM
I have to figure out something with this hitting. Getting shut out 2 games in a row (one 11 innings) is not fun. It's only been 25 innings since I've got a run. Fuck this.

Do you have Guess Pitch turned on?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 04, 2010, 08:06:34 AM

I don't guess the location, but I guess the type. I tell myself that it helps me distinguish the speed and decide to stay the fuck away when I slider's coming in

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2010, 08:19:28 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 04, 2010, 08:15:36 AM

I don't guess the location, but I guess the type. I tell myself that it helps me distinguish the speed and decide to stay the fuck away when I slider's coming in

I would suggest turning the whole thing off.  You'll be able to focus a lot more on the actual pitch.

Also, for anyone that doesn't know, it looks like there is an issue with the Player Potential, where the ratings are way off (Joe Mauer is a C, Hanley Ramirez is a D, etc.).  I think I read that it may just be a visual bug, where the player may actual be an A, but it just shows up as something different.  Either way, it'll be fixed with the next roster update.  I'm hoping some good rosters come out soon so I can start a Franchise and RTTS.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 04, 2010, 08:19:28 AM
Quote from: Yeti on March 04, 2010, 08:15:36 AM

I would suggest turning the whole thing off.  You'll be able to focus a lot more on the actual pitch.

Also, for anyone that doesn't know, it looks like there is an issue with the Player Potential, where the ratings are way off (Joe Mauer is a C, Hanley Ramirez is a D, etc.).  I think I read that it may just be a visual bug, where the player may actual be an A, but it just shows up as something different.  Either way, it'll be fixed with the next roster update.  I'm hoping some good rosters come out soon so I can start a Franchise and RTTS.

I read that the next roster update, or rather the first roster update, will be March 8.  By the way, the PS3 is out for delivery to the repair shop today.  Hopefully I'll get a call with a status update.  I know everyone is on the edges of their seats.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"