News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Viking Dongpocalypse  ( 82,725 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Viking Dongpocalypse
« Reply #615 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 17, 2010, 09:12:27 AM
This game just gets better and better.

Looks like we'll get to see the Joe Webb show, as Favre doesn't think he'll be able to play:

Quote"I don't see any chance today," he said. "As I said after the game [Monday] there's no way I would even consider [playing] with those symptoms still."

Favre also thinks other people care how his career ends, but he doesn't:

Quote"It is probably a lot more important to people that it not end on a hit injury against Buffalo," Favre said. "That very well could be the last play. I don't look at it that way. ... If it is meant to be, it is meant to be. I am not going to beat myself up over it one way or the other."

Meanwhile, space heaters and unnamed chemicals will be used to thaw out the ice-turf:

QuoteAs soon as about five feet of snow is completely removed from the playing surface, which officials said would be completed by noon today, heaters will be used to warm the field. A thermal tarp will cover it until game time. The St. Paul Pioneer Press has reported that chemicals also will be used to thaw the turf.

And players are a little nervous about it:

Quote''If you're going to preach player safety, you would think they would put you in the best conditions to be safe," Bears safety Chris Harris said. "I don't think an icy field is the best conditions."

QuoteWhen asked if he trusted the NFL's judgment on the issue, Harris laughed derisively and said, "No comment."

"You don't have a choice," he said. "They tell you what to do in the NFL. It's pretty much a dictatorship. It's sad, but that's the way it goes. We don't have a voice as far as what we feel is safe. It's unfortunate."

Say what you will about the McCaskeys, but when they brought the excellence that was the 2002 Bears down to Champaign, they did what needed to be done to make the pain manageable and allow for beer sales. No beer, general admission seating on a first-come, first-served basis, 12,000 people potentially turned away, parking located a distance from the stadium, it should be a very fun crowd.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #616 on: December 17, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 17, 2010, 09:40:32 AM

Looks like we'll get to see the Joe Webb show, as Favre doesn't think he'll be able to play:

Quote"I don't see any chance today," he said. "As I said after the game [Monday] there's no way I would even consider [playing] with those symptoms still."

Quote"It is probably a lot more important to people that it not end on a hit injury against Buffalo," Favre said. "That very well could be the last play. I don't look at it that way. ... If it is meant to be, it is meant to be. I am not going to beat myself up over it one way or the other."

Meanwhile, space heaters and unnamed chemicals will be used to thaw out the ice-turf:

QuoteAs soon as about five feet of snow is completely removed from the playing surface, which officials said would be completed by noon today, heaters will be used to warm the field. A thermal tarp will cover it until game time. The St. Paul Pioneer Press has reported that chemicals also will be used to thaw the turf.

Quote''If you're going to preach player safety, you would think they would put you in the best conditions to be safe," Bears safety Chris Harris said. "I don't think an icy field is the best conditions."

QuoteWhen asked if he trusted the NFL's judgment on the issue, Harris laughed derisively and said, "No comment."

"You don't have a choice," he said. "They tell you what to do in the NFL. It's pretty much a dictatorship. It's sad, but that's the way it goes. We don't have a voice as far as what we feel is safe. It's unfortunate."

Say what you will about the McCaskeys, but when they brought the excellence that was the 2002 Bears down to Champaign, they did what needed to be done to make the pain manageable and allow for beer sales. No beer, general admission seating on a first-come, first-served basis, 12,000 people potentially turned away, parking located a distance from the stadium, it should be a very fun crowd.

They also had more than a week to prepare. What I will also say about the McCaskeys is that I hope they all rot in hell.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: December 17, 2010, 11:22:01 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 17, 2010, 10:54:07 AM
Quote from: Brownie on December 17, 2010, 09:40:32 AM

They also had more than a week to prepare. What I will also say about the McCaskeys is that I hope they all rot in hell.

I still don't get why this shit hasn't been moved to Green Bay.  It's about equidistant from both cities, the Pack are out of town, and while it might nullify the concept of the Vikes having home field advantage, Zygi would make that up by actually being able to sell tickets and cut a deal for concessions.  I've no doubt they'd be able to sell out Lambeau, that place is basically the Wrigley Field of football.  Yet when alternate NFL sites are brought up, it's Indy, St. Louis and even Atlanta.  What the fuck? 

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #618 on: December 17, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
I think the NFL sees an opportunity to romanticize this game.  I also wonder whether the recent trend toward playing games in unusual settings is impacting said romanticism (maybe they should only thaw out only one half of the field and switch sides a la Wrigley).

It does seem a bit hypocritical, though.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #619 on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:02 PM »
It will be interesting to see what kind of affect space heaters will have on the rubber pellets that the turf is lying on. Will they melt? That'd be cool...
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #620 on: December 17, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
There are at least 10 area high schools within 15 minutes of Halas Hall that have Field Turf, have been under snow for a couple weeks, that I'm sure would be thrilled to accommodate a couple practices for their beloved BEARSSS!!W12! So why are they continuing to practice indoors?

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: December 17, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 17, 2010, 01:26:28 PM
There are at least 10 area high schools within 15 minutes of Halas Hall that have Field Turf, have been under snow for a couple weeks, that I'm sure would be thrilled to accommodate a couple practices for their beloved BEARSSS!!W12! So why are they continuing to practice indoors?

Probably because playing on a frozen field is dumb as shit and they don't want anyone to get hurt.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #622 on: December 17, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 17, 2010, 02:37:05 PM

Probably because playing on a frozen field is dumb as shit and they don't want anyone to get hurt.

Those vaunted 90 degree cuts in the Martz office are going to go just swimmingly.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: December 17, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on December 17, 2010, 03:30:37 PM

Those vaunted 90 degree cuts in the Martz office are going to go just swimmingly.

Is the footing any better in there?

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #624 on: December 17, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 17, 2010, 04:48:59 PM

Well, my face is red.  Wow.  Just wow.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #625 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:39 AM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on December 17, 2010, 05:02:26 PM

Please tell me more about this office...

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #626 on: December 18, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
Quote from: BH on December 18, 2010, 09:34:39 AM
Quote from: Indolent Reader on December 17, 2010, 05:02:26 PM

Please tell me more about this office...

Well, for starters, Eli still LOVES it.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

JakeD

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: December 18, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 17, 2010, 09:20:08 AM

Sounds like the CBA negotiations should go swimmingly.

they should dig up Gene Upshaw's corpse; he did such a great job for the players in the past, can't imagine he'll screw up the new CBA any worse than whoever is running the NFLPA now.
I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little ass, Gonna kick some ass in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, Gonna kick some ass - ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: December 18, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
Quote from: JakeD on December 18, 2010, 11:43:15 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 17, 2010, 09:20:08 AM

Sounds like the CBA negotiations should go swimmingly.

they should dig up Gene Upshaw's corpse; he did such a great job for the players in the past, can't imagine he'll screw up the new CBA any worse than whoever is running the NFLPA now.

They should hold them in Martz's office.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club