News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: DDD  ( 55,565 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: DDD
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 23, 2010, 11:39:46 AM

Thanks to FJM day at deadspin...

There's nothing to be gained from covering those up. Fucking stupid Chucks at FJMSpin.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 23, 2010, 11:42:02 AM
Quote from: Oleg on September 23, 2010, 11:39:46 AM

Thanks to FJM day at deadspin...

There's nothing to be gained from covering those up. Fucking stupid Chucks at FJMSpin.

I agree.  That's the gheyest thing ever. 
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »
Fine...this?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2010, 09:18:18 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 24, 2010, 09:00:27 AM
Fine...this?

Those chicks can do stuff with balls.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »

"Implications..."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2010, 02:08:32 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 22, 2010, 08:27:34 PM

"Implications..."

I like the chick on the right.  She's cute, and she has small hands...
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 24, 2010, 02:08:32 AM

"Implications..."

I like the chick on the right.  She's cute, and she has small hands...

She's spoken for, dude...

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on November 24, 2010, 07:32:34 PM

"Implications..."

D.E.N.N.I.S.

That's exactly what I was too lazy to post. Mac gets seconds. Frank, thirds.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

QuoteThe biggest problem with 3D, though, is the "convergence/focus" issue. A couple of the other issues -- darkness and "smallness" -- are at least theoretically solvable. But the deeper problem is that the audience must focus their eyes at the plane of the screen -- say it is 80 feet away. This is constant no matter what.

But their eyes must converge at perhaps 10 feet away, then 60 feet, then 120 feet, and so on, depending on what the illusion is. So 3D films require us to focus at one distance and converge at another. And 600 million years of evolution has never presented this problem before. All living things with eyes have always focussed and converged at the same point.

If we look at the salt shaker on the table, close to us, we focus at six feet and our eyeballs converge (tilt in) at six feet. Imagine the base of a triangle between your eyes and the apex of the triangle resting on the thing you are looking at. But then look out the window and you focus at sixty feet and converge also at sixty feet. That imaginary triangle has now "opened up" so that your lines of sight are almost -- almost -- parallel to each other.

We can do this. 3D films would not work if we couldn't. But it is like tapping your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time, difficult. So the "CPU" of our perceptual brain has to work extra hard, which is why after 20 minutes or so many people get headaches. They are doing something that 600 million years of evolution never prepared them for. This is a deep problem, which no amount of technical tweaking can fix. Nothing will fix it short of producing true "holographic" images.

Consequently, the editing of 3D films cannot be as rapid as for 2D films, because of this shifting of convergence: it takes a number of milliseconds for the brain/eye to "get" what the space of each shot is and adjust.

And lastly, the question of immersion. 3D films remind the audience that they are in a certain "perspective" relationship to the image. It is almost a Brechtian trick. Whereas if the film story has really gripped an audience they are "in" the picture in a kind of dreamlike "spaceless" space. So a good story will give you more dimensionality than you can ever cope with.

So: dark, small, stroby, headache inducing, alienating. And expensive. The question is: how long will it take people to realize and get fed up?

Brechtian alienation... Now I get Avatar!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 25, 2011, 11:22:17 AM

STOP STEALING MY BIT!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »

QuoteThe biggest problem with 3D, though, is the "convergence/focus" issue. A couple of the other issues -- darkness and "smallness" -- are at least theoretically solvable. But the deeper problem is that the audience must focus their eyes at the plane of the screen -- say it is 80 feet away. This is constant no matter what.

But their eyes must converge at perhaps 10 feet away, then 60 feet, then 120 feet, and so on, depending on what the illusion is. So 3D films require us to focus at one distance and converge at another. And 600 million years of evolution has never presented this problem before. All living things with eyes have always focussed and converged at the same point.

If we look at the salt shaker on the table, close to us, we focus at six feet and our eyeballs converge (tilt in) at six feet. Imagine the base of a triangle between your eyes and the apex of the triangle resting on the thing you are looking at. But then look out the window and you focus at sixty feet and converge also at sixty feet. That imaginary triangle has now "opened up" so that your lines of sight are almost -- almost -- parallel to each other.

We can do this. 3D films would not work if we couldn't. But it is like tapping your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time, difficult. So the "CPU" of our perceptual brain has to work extra hard, which is why after 20 minutes or so many people get headaches. They are doing something that 600 million years of evolution never prepared them for. This is a deep problem, which no amount of technical tweaking can fix. Nothing will fix it short of producing true "holographic" images.

Consequently, the editing of 3D films cannot be as rapid as for 2D films, because of this shifting of convergence: it takes a number of milliseconds for the brain/eye to "get" what the space of each shot is and adjust.

And lastly, the question of immersion. 3D films remind the audience that they are in a certain "perspective" relationship to the image. It is almost a Brechtian trick. Whereas if the film story has really gripped an audience they are "in" the picture in a kind of dreamlike "spaceless" space. So a good story will give you more dimensionality than you can ever cope with.

So: dark, small, stroby, headache inducing, alienating. And expensive. The question is: how long will it take people to realize and get fed up?

Ebert hates 3D?  Why hasn't he ever mentioned this before?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 25, 2011, 01:31:53 PM

Ebert hates 3D?  Why hasn't he ever mentioned this before?

I don't care for 3D, but big tits I do like.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 25, 2011, 01:31:53 PM
Ebert hates 3D?  Why hasn't he ever mentioned this before?

THE MAN HAS NO TONGUE! LAY OFF HIM!