News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Apple  ( 82,095 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Apple
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
Ebooks are open standard, amazon is proprietary. Pretty good chance that Kindle is the odd man out. Or woman. If you prefer.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on January 27, 2010, 02:27:36 PM
Pen assures me this thing is no threat to the Kindle and its undisclosed sales figures.

Because no one who'd be willing to spend $259 (or $489 for the larger Kindle DX) for a device devoted strictly to reading digital books would be willing to to spend $240 more (or $10 more, for that matter) for a much better device in a similar form factor that would, among other things, also allow them to watch video and offers capabilities more akin to a netbook.

Pretty gross mischaracterization of the facts.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 27, 2010, 03:02:17 PM
Pen assures me this thing is no threat to the Kindle and its undisclosed sales figures.

Because no one who'd be willing to spend $259 (or $489 for the larger Kindle DX) for a device devoted strictly to reading digital books would be willing to to spend $240 more (or $10 more, for that matter) for a much better device in a similar form factor that would, among other things, also allow them to watch video and offers capabilities more akin to a netbook.

You new here?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 27, 2010, 03:05:03 PM

You new here?

I will not have my lack of credibility further tarnished!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 27, 2010, 03:05:13 PM
Quote from: R-V on January 27, 2010, 01:29:44 PM

Those prices intrigue me.

Yeti, this app might also intrigue you.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »

Let's go to the tape...

Fork: "Also, [iPad] will effectively kill Kindle."
Pen: "[ I]'m pretty sure Fork is wrong about that"
Pen: "I don't have any specific information, but it seems wrong"

Tank: "Kindle looks like shit in the company of the iPad"
Tank: "It's not going to necessarily kill the Kindle outright, but it won't make life easier for it"
Pen: "$500 seems like a lot for an electric book"

"[T]his thing is a good bit bigger than a kindle, no? [W]hy not just read books on your iPhone? I mean...if the iPhone isn't a Kindle killer, why would the iPad [be one]?"
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on January 27, 2010, 03:17:41 PM

Let's go to the tape...

Tank: "It's not going to necessarily kill the Kindle outright, but it won't make life easier for it"

"[T]his thing is a good bit bigger than a kindle, no? [W]hy not just read books on your iPhone? I mean...if the iPhone isn't a Kindle killer, why would the iPad [be one]?"

Exactly what part of that made you feel "assured"?

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 27, 2010, 03:19:11 PM

Let's go to the tape...

Exactly what part of that made you feel "assured"?

For me, it was the brackets.  They're like a punctuation hug.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »

Let's go to the tape...

Pen, just an fyi. The iPad isn't just an electric book.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 27, 2010, 03:32:43 PM

Let's go to the tape...

Pen, just an fyi. The iPad isn't just an electric book.

That's right, it's an unwieldy iPhone!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/amazon-sdk-hints-that-kindle-store-coming-to-apple-tablet.ars

Are those iPad + 3G prices just to buy the device with the capability to use 3G, as well as the monthly costs of the actual service?  I feel like they whatever little chip they put in the phone to enable 3G shouldn't cost $130...

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »
If you already have an iPhone, why the hell would you want it's mutant younger sibling?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 27, 2010, 03:37:21 PM

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/amazon-sdk-hints-that-kindle-store-coming-to-apple-tablet.ars

Are those iPad + 3G prices just to buy the device with the capability to use 3G, as well as the monthly costs of the actual service?  I feel like they whatever little chip they put in the phone to enable 3G shouldn't cost $130...

Just for 3G capability. The monthly cost is separate.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 27, 2010, 03:37:21 PM

Are those iPad + 3G prices just to buy the device with the capability to use 3G, as well as the monthly costs of the actual service?  I feel like they whatever little chip they put in the phone to enable 3G shouldn't cost $130...

That's not how companies price these things, you jackass.

The prices in the pic RV linked are for the devices, without service. They announced some sort of data plan with AT&T, but the 3G iPads apparently will come unlocked, so I don't think you'll be handcuffed to their shitty network.

As it stands, the 16GB 3G iPad only costs $30 more than an unsubsidized 16GB iPhone 3GS (without a contract).
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?