News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Apple  ( 82,087 )

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Apple
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:24 PM »

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on April 29, 2010, 07:00:24 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 29, 2010, 01:00:56 PM
Quote from: Oleg on April 29, 2010, 12:06:52 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/29/jon-stewart-slams-steve-j_n_556629.html

Anyone else find Stewart's "meet me at camera three" bits generally tedious?

I find you tedious.

I like you. Maybe you'd like me if you got to know me better.

I'm no Margaret Cho, but I do do a pretty fair Columbo...
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 30, 2010, 11:15:02 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/29/jon-stewart-slams-steve-j_n_556629.html

I find you tedious.

This would have made me LOL if you could have found a photo of the goofy looking face that Homer makes shortly thereafter.

Otherwise, meh.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 30, 2010, 11:30:49 AM

I find you tedious.

This would have made me LOL if you could have found a photo of the goofy looking face that Homer makes shortly thereafter.

Otherwise, meh tedious.

I should get a glass of water.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2010, 01:52:12 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 30, 2010, 01:41:41 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 30, 2010, 11:30:49 AM

I find you tedious.

Otherwise, meh tedious.

I should get a glass of water.

Well done, good sir.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
Joe Posnanski likes his iPad

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/05/13/here-on-gilligans-isle/

QuoteMy extensive iPad review is still coming, but for now I do think it's worth answering one question that I have received from several brilliant readers: "What's the big deal about the iPad?"

OK, so we all know the iPad is smaller than a Sports Illustrated magazine and thinner than the Swimsuit Issue. And here are some of the things I did with it yesterday:

1. Watch innings of several baseball games on television.
2. Listen to innings of several baseball games on radio.
3. Watch NBA playoff highlights.
4. Read a section of Bill James' Historical Abstract and part of Nelson Mandela's autobiography.
5. Listen to the latest weather reports as wind howled outside.
6. Scan the Internet for news about Stephen Strasburg.
7. Play pinball.
8. Sample the new Keane album.
9. Update and check my calendar.
10. Respond to several emails.
11. Put together a couple of outline charts for upcoming stories.
12. Write sections of upcoming stories.
13. Shop at Amazon.
14. Play a Justin Bieber video for daughters.
15. Read an interactive Toy Story book to youngest daughter.
16. Play this addictive diner game.
17. Score the first couple of innings of the Royals-Indians game.
18. Watch snippets of a couple of ABC shows.
19. Instant message a friend who was gone.
20. Look up Tina Louise on the amazing IMDB app.
21. Scan the New York Times and Kansas City Star.
22. Instantly look up words I wasn't entirely sure about.
23. Make a list of story ideas I'd like to do in the next couple of months.
24. Do some soccer study for the upcoming World Cup.
25. Check to see if there were any new fun apps. Download this silly app that allows me to make Zen Gardens out of sand and stone.
26. Make several Zen Gardens out of sand and stone.
27. Check out Entertainment Weekly's Ten Things to Watch.

That's a pretty typical day, honestly. I did these things in a restaurant, in a coffee shop, in bed, while sitting in my recliner and watching television. Some days I do more work on it. Some days I watch a movie. Now, we have become conditioned to technology, many of us, and so the list might not impress you. You can do most, maybe even all, these things on the iPhone or on your mobile device. Certainly on your computer. Most of the iPad reviews I read talk a lot about what the iPad does not do — play Flash, have a camera, run multiple apps at once and so on. All true.

But I'm not a technology writer. I'm just a guy who grew up in the 1970s. And I like to look at it another way — we're living in the Jetsons. I can WATCH ANY BASEBALL GAME on this little folder-sized television that I carry around with me? And read books on it (and it's a much better reading experience than the computer — night and day better). And listen to music on it? And watch movies? And send letters to people that reaches them instantly? And get letters back from the in return? And do my work on it? And shop on it? And play games on it? And so on and so on and so on and every single day it gets better because someone invents some new app that pushes its limits. This all happens later in the same life when "Merlin"** was the cutting edge of technology.

**Where's Merlin now?/He's not there/He's out with Billy/playing Magic Square.

I'm not saying you want an iPad or need one (or any of the upcoming tablets) — I don't get commission. I'm just saying, what's the big deal? It's a computer and television and radio and newspaper and book and magazine and game console and Internet the size of a piece of paper and the width of a Mitch Albom book. It's freaking amazing, that's the big deal.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 14, 2010, 02:02:46 PM

QuoteMy extensive iPad review is still coming, but for now I do think it's worth answering one question that I have received from several brilliant readers: "What's the big deal about the iPad?"

OK, so we all know the iPad is smaller than a Sports Illustrated magazine and thinner than the Swimsuit Issue. And here are some of the things I did with it yesterday:

4. Read a section of Bill James' Historical Abstract and part of Nelson Mandela's autobiography.
7. Play pinball.
13. Shop at Amazon.
25. Check to see if there were any new fun apps. Download this silly app that allows me to make Zen Gardens out of sand and stone.

That's a pretty typical day, honestly. I did these things in a restaurant, in a coffee shop, in bed, while sitting in my recliner and watching television. Some days I do more work on it. Some days I watch a movie. Now, we have become conditioned to technology, many of us, and so the list might not impress you. You can do most, maybe even all, these things on the iPhone or on your mobile device. Certainly on your computer. Most of the iPad reviews I read talk a lot about what the iPad does not do — play Flash, have a camera, run multiple apps at once and so on. All true.

But I'm not a technology writer. I'm just a guy who grew up in the 1970s. And I like to look at it another way — we're living in the Jetsons. I can WATCH ANY BASEBALL GAME on this little folder-sized television that I carry around with me? And read books on it (and it's a much better reading experience than the computer — night and day better). And listen to music on it? And watch movies? And send letters to people that reaches them instantly? And get letters back from the in return? And do my work on it? And shop on it? And play games on it? And so on and so on and so on and every single day it gets better because someone invents some new app that pushes its limits. This all happens later in the same life when "Merlin"** was the cutting edge of technology.

I'm not saying you want an iPad or need one (or any of the upcoming tablets) — I don't get commission. I'm just saying, what's the big deal? It's a computer and television and radio and newspaper and book and magazine and game console and Internet the size of a piece of paper and the width of a Mitch Albom book. It's freaking amazing, that's the big deal.

28-30. Jerked off to old George Brett highlights.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 14, 2010, 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 14, 2010, 02:02:46 PM

7. Play pinball.
13. Shop at Amazon.

28-30. Jerked off to old George Brett highlights.

We don't all glaze our Whole Foods weeklies like you, fucktard.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »
The new iPhone looks great.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2010, 02:05:22 PM »
I wonder how the iAds is going to work.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 07, 2010, 02:05:22 PM

Did you catch the demo from a couple months back, or do you mean whether it'll work out and be successful?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2010, 02:25:40 PM »

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 07, 2010, 02:25:40 PM
Quote from: Night Man on June 07, 2010, 02:02:28 PM
The new iPhone looks great.

Better than this?

QuoteYou will either love how ridiculously palm-spanning a phone that is well over four inches diagonally feels—or you will find it awkward and kind of silly.

This is exactly how we're split on it. Jason really adores the size, yet he is a power nerd. I think it feels like a weirdly retrograde idea of the future, what some people expected smartphones would evolve into before the iPad entered into our collective consciousness—a mutant phone/tablet thing that's just big enough to do everything. It's just a really big phone that will polarize the buying public.

I mean, when there's a kickstand, a statement is being made.

It's heavy, too, almost in the way you'd expect an armored suit to be. The way it's sculpted—aggressively functional, like War Machine, with little Tony Stark flash—emphasizes unseasoned power. You might expect the back of the phone to be cut from metal, but it's fit with a rubber-esque finish. (We are still talking about HTC here.)

The build quality is nonetheless respectable, down to the kickstand—it'll survive a tumble or three. (There is light leaking through the seam where the top of phone meets the frame, netting a few demerits.)

Given that the camera lens protrudes from the back of the phone, don't expect it to hold up as well. It will be scratched and scuffed within a week.

QuoteMy main phone at the moment is a Nexus One, so I'm pretty familiar with managing Android to make it through the day. It's oddly a struggle to make the Evo last that long—on a weekend, I had to recharge by 2pm—and I had 4G turned off. Expect to plug this thing in at work before you go out at night if you want a phone that isn't dead by your second drink.

QuoteBecause the power efficiency of the A4 (in the iPhone) is combined with a larger battery, Apple claims 40 percent more talk time on 3G—from 5 to 7 hours for the iPhone 4. It gets about 6 hours of 3G browsing or 10 hours of WiFi browsing. Media mavens will get up to 40 hours of music or 10 hours of video playback. The battery is good for 300 hours of standby time.

QuoteThe bigger issue to consider, though, as it is with every Android phone running a custom interface, is how badly you want to be on the bleeding edge of the Android platform. You will wait several months for Android 2.2 to reach the Evo, which offers a ton of tangible benefits, not the least of which is seriously improved speed (you'll notice mostly within apps). And you'll wait again for Android 2.3, and so on. For most people, this won't be a problem—but it's something to be aware of, particularly since you won't have the option of the official Google phone, the Nexus One, on Sprint.

Yes.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2010, 02:30:51 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on June 07, 2010, 02:11:28 PM

Did you catch the demo from a couple months back, or do you mean whether it'll work out and be successful?

I wonder how painful it's going to be on the phone. I think i'm getting rid of my iphone, can't really justify spending that much a month when i use like 10% of it's functionality anymore.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 07, 2010, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: Night Man on June 07, 2010, 02:11:28 PM

I wonder how painful it's going to be on the phone. I think i'm getting rid of my iphone, can't really justify spending that much a month when i use like 10% of it's functionality anymore.

I don't think it can auto-launch.  If you click the ad, you see it, otherwise it should leave you alone.  Do AT&T's slightly cheaper plans help at all?