News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Starlin Castro Unbridled Manlove with a Side Order of Sploogetasticism Thread  ( 97,150 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on October 01, 2015, 09:59:06 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 01, 2015, 09:52:13 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 01, 2015, 09:48:51 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 09:41:42 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 01, 2015, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on October 01, 2015, 09:34:14 AM
Yeah, but then what do you do with Soler? Hate to give up on that bat.

And I'll add that this is a nice fucking problem to have.

Good point. ...stick him in center? And yes, this is a really nice problem to have.

Re: my defensively suspect comment - I'm more referring to keeping Starlin on the field, and the fact that Bryant is probably not the best defensive choice for an outfield position (although he may be serviceable).

Have you...have you watched Jorge Soler play right field this year? And you're suggesting putting him in center while saying Bryant is the one that's a poor choice to be a defensive outfielder? I've seen plenty of scouts make Bryant-Alex Gordon comparisons as a guy whose height and struggles at 3B would lead him to move to the OF, where his speed would actually make him very effective. He's started games in CF and both corner OF spots this year and looked more than competent doing so. Certainly better than Jorge has for the most part.

Kurt is either joking or doesn't watch baseball.

More I'm basing what I'm saying on what Bryant has said re: his comfort level. But yeah, I honestly have no idea how they should juggle the outfield if Castro stays.

What has he said? My recollection was that he's down for anything.

That he'll play wherever the team needs him but his heart is at 3B.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club

Good point. ...stick him in center? And yes, this is a really nice problem to have.

Re: my defensively suspect comment - I'm more referring to keeping Starlin on the field, and the fact that Bryant is probably not the best defensive choice for an outfield position (although he may be serviceable).

Have you...have you watched Jorge Soler play right field this year? And you're suggesting putting him in center while saying Bryant is the one that's a poor choice to be a defensive outfielder? I've seen plenty of scouts make Bryant-Alex Gordon comparisons as a guy whose height and struggles at 3B would lead him to move to the OF, where his speed would actually make him very effective. He's started games in CF and both corner OF spots this year and looked more than competent doing so. Certainly better than Jorge has for the most part.

More I'm basing what I'm saying on what Bryant has said re: his comfort level. But yeah, I honestly have no idea how they should juggle the outfield if Castro stays.

I'm not going to be able to find it at work. I believe he said he will play anywhere, but he feels the most comfortable at third. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 09:59:33 AM

Bryant could be a very solid third baseman, and so it not only stands to reason but has been demonstrated (albeit in small samples) that he could be a solid right fielder.

Baez, though, would already be a better third baseman than Bryant, if you want to go down that road.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Even homo?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on October 01, 2015, 10:17:32 AM

Even homo?

You just made IAN moist.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on October 01, 2015, 10:02:14 AM

Bryant could be a very solid third baseman, and so it not only stands to reason but has been demonstrated (albeit in small samples) that he could be a solid right fielder.

Baez, though, would already be a better third baseman than Bryant, if you want to go down that road.

This. Bryant has been better than advertised and can definitely stick at 3B for more than the Ryan Braun-esque cameo-before-moving-to-LF stint that was predicted for him by many a scout, but Javy would seem to have the tools to be a downright elite 3B. That barehand play he made in St. Louis still boggles my mind.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 11:06:46 AM

This. Bryant has been better than advertised and can definitely stick at 3B for more than the Ryan Braun-esque cameo-before-moving-to-LF stint that was predicted for him by many a scout, but Javy would seem to have the tools to be a downright elite 3B. That barehand play he made in St. Louis still boggles my mind.

I saw one in Philadelphia where he charged a SAC bunt attempt which rolled toward 3rd (barely), barehanded it and gunned the runner out at second.  I was 7th row, even with the spot half-way from third to home where he scooped it, and needed an usher to clean my row afterward.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 11:06:46 AM

So, if you move Bryant to the OF and you don't trade Soler, Bryant in center? Soler in CF?  It gets a lot easier if Schwarber can really catch.  You could do Soler in LF, Bryant in RF and Fowler / replacement in CF.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

At this point, why do anything unless someone's offering a good package for Castro?

Unless I'm missing something, having a roster full of guys who are good and can play multiple positions is good, right?

If anything, the most pressing need to me appears to be finding somebody who can spell Rizzo at first once every three weeks or so.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 01, 2015, 11:23:32 AM

At this point, why do anything unless someone's offering a good package for Castro?

Unless I'm missing something, having a roster full of guys who are good and can play multiple positions is good, right?

If anything, the most pressing need to me appears to be finding somebody who can spell Rizzo at first once every three weeks or so.

Well Joe had Javy play first last night. Maybe they're just planning to keep everyone and have Javy be the new Zobrist, since he's now played every infield position but catcher and seems to have lowered that BMI enough to enable him to play some OF if needed.

But my guess is still someone gets traded. Provided that it's for something they really need like a young, good cost-controlled starter like Ross or Carrasco, I can make myself live with a world where Castro, Javy, or Soler have been moved.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 11:29:00 AM

Well Joe had Javy play first last night. Maybe they're just planning to keep everyone and have Javy be the new Zobrist, since he's now played every infield position but catcher and seems to have lowered that BMI enough to enable him to play some OF if needed.

Can I split hairs here?

Because I don't view the catcher (or pitcher) as part of the infield but, rather, the "battery".  Therefore, Javy's played every infield position this year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on October 01, 2015, 11:31:02 AM

Can I split hairs here?

Because I don't view the catcher (or pitcher) as part of the infield but, rather, the "battery".  Therefore, Javy's played every infield position this year.

I was going to answer "no" but...

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Well Joe had Javy play first last night.

Bryant played first Monday night. He was on the wrong side of competent.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I'm sure they wouldn't trade him just to trade him. I think the prevailing thought is that they could use Castro (or whoever they trade) to get help for the rotation, which they'll have to address this winter.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2015, 11:46:19 AM

I'm sure they wouldn't trade him just to trade him. I think the prevailing thought is that they could use Castro (or whoever they trade) to get help for the rotation, which they'll have to address this winter.

There's also going to be a fuckload of FA pitching, so they might not have to lose anybody.
TIME TO POST!