News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Arkham Asylum (and a possible sequel)  ( 4,670 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Arkham Asylum (and a possible sequel)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 25, 2010, 08:46:03 AM
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2010, 02:10:30 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 02:03:13 PM
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2010, 01:17:43 PM
One of the bosses in Lost Odyssey pissed me off, so I'm done with that for a while.  I loaded up Arkham Asylum, and even though I played the demo back when it came out, I completely forgot how awesome the presentation is in this game.  It goes toe-to-toe with BioShock for introducing a setting that's just as much of a "character" as anyone in the game.  Also, Luke Skywalker is awesome as Joker.

Yep - the voice work in this one is all of the people from that cartoon that I watched when I was a kid. Fabulous stuff.

I don't know much about the sequel (which is definitely happening) but I can't help but wonder how great this engine would be if taken out of the context of Arkham and into Gotham itself.

I'm pretty sure the game is using Unreal Engine 3, so it should do just fine with almost any environment.  Gears of War 2 could handle exterior locations, so I'm sure this one can too.  I'm actually through about 550 pages of a book about learning Unreal 3, and just with what's available for the free development kit, it has the capability to create some awesome looking environments.  My only problem with Unreal is that most games you play, for a reason I'm not really sure of yet, have those super-muscular-looking character models like Gears of War.  Sure, they're really detailed and look kind of cool, but not when every character in the game has the exact same body structure.  At least they pretty much only made Batman look like that in this game.

Weebs is reading a book about Unreal.  Anyone want to take this one?

Am I less of a nerd if it's a tutorial book for learnin'?

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 25, 2010, 09:01:01 AM
One of the bosses in Lost Odyssey pissed me off, so I'm done with that for a while.  I loaded up Arkham Asylum, and even though I played the demo back when it came out, I completely forgot how awesome the presentation is in this game.  It goes toe-to-toe with BioShock for introducing a setting that's just as much of a "character" as anyone in the game.  Also, Luke Skywalker is awesome as Joker.

Yep - the voice work in this one is all of the people from that cartoon that I watched when I was a kid. Fabulous stuff.

I don't know much about the sequel (which is definitely happening) but I can't help but wonder how great this engine would be if taken out of the context of Arkham and into Gotham itself.

I'm pretty sure the game is using Unreal Engine 3, so it should do just fine with almost any environment.  Gears of War 2 could handle exterior locations, so I'm sure this one can too.  I'm actually through about 550 pages of a book about learning Unreal 3, and just with what's available for the free development kit, it has the capability to create some awesome looking environments.  My only problem with Unreal is that most games you play, for a reason I'm not really sure of yet, have those super-muscular-looking character models like Gears of War.  Sure, they're really detailed and look kind of cool, but not when every character in the game has the exact same body structure.  At least they pretty much only made Batman look like that in this game.

It was less the nerd factor and more the "you call everything unrealistic" factor.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 25, 2010, 09:03:57 AM
Quote from: Weebs on February 25, 2010, 09:01:01 AM

It was less the nerd factor and more the "you call everything unrealistic" factor.

One or two comments about The Office and I'm forever known as that guy.  Thanks a lot, Jim and Pam.  Why did you have two have to get together?!