News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Justified  ( 51,965 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Justified
« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 06, 2014, 07:51:08 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 06, 2014, 05:31:21 PM
Holy SHIT! I did not know about those Entertainment Weekly recaps with the Executive God Damn Producer.

PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION.

Quote from: R-V on March 24, 2012, 11:27:28 AM
If you haven't seen it yet, they've been doing post-show interviews like this with Yost every week at EW and there's always a good nugget or two.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/21/justified-guy-walks-into-bar/?preview=true

So not only did I have a problem with that scene, Coggins had issues with a related one last year.

I think you're misinterpreting that. It wasn't that Walton Goggins had a problem with the scene itself, just that filming it was tough for him emotionally...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/19/justified-money-trap-postmortem/

QuoteIn terms of [blackmailing Boyd]: Walton loved the scene — he loved Boyd being in the jam — but it was just so, so hard for him to just sit there and take that from those guys. It just drove Walton crazy. He just wanted to pull and kill them all. It was a difficult scene. The other actors were thinking, "Did we say something to upset him?" And it's like, "No. Walton's just identifying with Boyd."

In fact, you can probably look at the ill-considered beat-down you have a nagging beef with as a logical conclusion to this. This time Boyd couldn't restrain himself.

So it was very unlike Boyd to take shit from those guys before. Though he did. For some reason. And that made Paxton think that it could happen again. I think it would be best for me to go back to that previous episode and see what circumstances led to Boyd taking the abuse. That's the disconnect and it's probably necessary to have that backstory fresh in order to view that scene with Paxton correctly. My problem was never with Boyd thrashing him. That part I get. I just couldn't figure out why Paxton thought he could get away with taunting him in the first place - unarmed. It bothers me enough that I will go back and find that scene. Do you happen to remember the episode number you pulled that recap quote from?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #316 on: February 07, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 07, 2014, 12:08:01 PM
Holy SHIT! I did not know about those Entertainment Weekly recaps with the Executive God Damn Producer.

PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION.

If you haven't seen it yet, they've been doing post-show interviews like this with Yost every week at EW and there's always a good nugget or two.

So not only did I have a problem with that scene, Coggins had issues with a related one last year.

I think you're misinterpreting that. It wasn't that Walton Goggins had a problem with the scene itself, just that filming it was tough for him emotionally...

QuoteIn terms of [blackmailing Boyd]: Walton loved the scene — he loved Boyd being in the jam — but it was just so, so hard for him to just sit there and take that from those guys. It just drove Walton crazy. He just wanted to pull and kill them all. It was a difficult scene. The other actors were thinking, "Did we say something to upset him?" And it's like, "No. Walton's just identifying with Boyd."

In fact, you can probably look at the ill-considered beat-down you have a nagging beef with as a logical conclusion to this. This time Boyd couldn't restrain himself.

So it was very unlike Boyd to take shit from those guys before. Though he did. For some reason. And that made Paxton think that it could happen again. I think it would be best for me to go back to that previous episode and see what circumstances led to Boyd taking the abuse. That's the disconnect and it's probably necessary to have that backstory fresh in order to view that scene with Paxton correctly. My problem was never with Boyd thrashing him. That part I get. I just couldn't figure out why Paxton thought he could get away with taunting him in the first place - unarmed. It bothers me enough that I will go back and find that scene. Do you happen to remember the episode number you pulled that recap quote from?

IIRC Boyd and Ava were at the Clover Hill party to sniff around for information on Drew Thompson.  At that point, Boyd couldn't afford to alienate them, while they assumed that Boyd would do what they told because his old man had operated that way.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #317 on: February 07, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 07, 2014, 12:39:45 PM

PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION.

IIRC Boyd and Ava were at the Clover Hill party to sniff around for information on Drew Thompson.  At that point, Boyd couldn't afford to alienate them, while they assumed that Boyd would do what they told because his old man had operated that way.

I think the point was that Paxton was arrogant to a fault. You'd think Boyd's actions last season might have disabused him somewhat of his presumptions of putting this hillbilly in his place. But I guess Paxton felt he came out back on top in the end, and that he had Boyd caught in a perfect trap. And damned if he wasn't gonna gloat.

Hubris dies hard. All the more so in Elmore Leonard's universe, where character growth only ever seems to be a temporary illusion.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #318 on: February 07, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 07, 2014, 01:42:49 PM
Quote from: CT III on February 07, 2014, 12:39:45 PM

PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION.

I think the point was that Paxton was arrogant to a fault. You'd think Boyd's actions last season might have disabused him somewhat of his presumptions of putting this hillbilly in his place. But I guess Paxton felt he came out back on top in the end, and that he had Boyd caught in a perfect trap. And damned if he wasn't gonna gloat.

Hubris dies hard. All the more so in Elmore Leonard's universe, where character growth only ever seems to be a temporary illusion.

Ok. This satisfies my hunger for clarity. I'm glad Paxton's dead. That storyline was meh.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
"Yeah... We share some things in common."

Danny Crowe is the new Coover.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »
Mrs. flannj bought me the first 3 seasons on DVD for Valentine's day.
I think I married well.

I am a huge Elmore Leonard fan as detailed in the deadpool.

Anyway, I am fifteen minutes into the first episode and I had to take a break because I am laughing so hard at the most perfect bit of backwoods Kentucky casting.

"I felt the air move"

This is going to be awesome.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #321 on: February 25, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
"The money's in Bitcoins. I was moving it around online, hiding the trail."

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
"Post a reply to a blog? We're decades away from that technology."

Vaya con dios, Johnny.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 26, 2014, 09:49:37 AM

Vaya con dios, Johnny.

It's remarkable how much prestige Raylan has lost. He's almost at Don Draper levels of disrespect around his office, although he does do his job well occasionally. Basically, he's in free-fall. His talk of a transfer feels pathetic too. He would be best off moving back to Florida, moving in with Wynona and finding a new line of work - head of security for some huge company perhaps. We'll see if Raylan finds his way back to respectability in time for the show to sign off forever. I can't say I have a preference for how he turns out. But given that this show is known for big payoffs and conclusions, I can't see Raylan ending up dead in a swamp somewhere with Boyd going on to rule the Dixi Mafia with an iron fist.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 26, 2014, 10:16:06 AM

Vaya con dios, Johnny.

It's remarkable how much prestige Raylan has lost. He's almost at Don Draper levels of disrespect around his office, although he does do his job well occasionally. Basically, he's in free-fall. His talk of a transfer feels pathetic too. He would be best off moving back to Florida, moving in with Wynona and finding a new line of work - head of security for some huge company perhaps. We'll see if Raylan finds his way back to respectability in time for the show to sign off forever. I can't say I have a preference for how he turns out. But given that this show is known for big payoffs and conclusions, I can't see Raylan ending up dead in a swamp somewhere with Boyd going on to rule the Dixi Mafia with an iron fist.

I thought that last night's episode was one of the best in a long time.  It is good that our hero is shown as being human for a change. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »

Vaya con dios, Johnny.

Who the hell knows? These writers throw us so many curveballs, I feel like I should just quit trying to suss out where this show is headed and enjoy the ride. The last three episodes alone have given us a season's worth of plot twists.

And I admit it... I totally bit on the Cousin Johnny head fake last night. I mean, I didn't really think Boyd was about to meet his end or anything, but I did think Ava was writing a prison check Boyd wouldn't be able to cash in the near term. (Then again, maybe she was. Because then Daryl Junior and Danny up and happened.)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 26, 2014, 05:04:02 PM

Vaya con dios, Johnny.

Who the hell knows? These writers throw us so many curveballs, I feel like I should just quit trying to suss out where this show is headed and enjoy the ride. The last three episodes alone have given us a season's worth of plot twists.

And I admit it... I totally bit on the Cousin Johnny head fake last night. I mean, I didn't really think Boyd was about to meet his end or anything, but I did think Ava was writing a prison check Boyd wouldn't be able to cash in the near term. (Then again, maybe she was. Because then Daryl Junior and Danny up and happened.)

I always felt that Johnny was going to get ambushed by Boyd and the Crows. That one scene where his henchman was all, "What about them?" had me ready for them to present themselves at the just the right moment. Plus Boyd was just too calm about his double cross. I've never known him not to freak out about shit that doesn't go his way. I didn't see Danny pulling an "I HAD TO GET IT ON!" call back to the film "Heat" but I know I should have. And Boyd killing Johnny like that? I was as stunned as poor Dewey.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 26, 2014, 05:16:10 PM

Vaya con dios, Johnny.

I always felt that Johnny was going to get ambushed by Boyd and the Crows. That one scene where his henchman was all, "What about them?" had me ready for them to present themselves at the just the right moment. Plus Boyd was just too calm about his double cross. I've never known him not to freak out about shit that doesn't go his way. I didn't see Danny pulling an "I HAD TO GET IT ON!" call back to the film "Heat" but I know I should have. And Boyd killing Johnny like that? I was as stunned as poor Dewey.

I had no doubt that Boyd would get out of that fix. And by the time we saw Johnny's boys getting set to open the truck I'd realized the jig was up. But up to that point I still totally thought we'd be headed at least to next week with him still in hilljack custody. Then I thought everything was cool again. Then Danny. Then Johnny.

I'm just impressed at how readily these writers can turn the plot on a dime without losing any momentum.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 26, 2014, 06:40:48 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 26, 2014, 05:16:10 PM

Vaya con dios, Johnny.

I had no doubt that Boyd would get out of that fix. And by the time we saw Johnny's boys getting set to open the truck I'd realized the jig was up. But up to that point I still totally thought we'd be headed at least to next week with him still in hilljack custody. Then I thought everything was cool again. Then Danny. Then Johnny.

I'm just impressed at how readily these writers can turn the plot on a dime without losing any momentum.

On this show, you've got your good guys, your bad guys and your evil guys. You're usually given a set of bad guys and the trick is to decide which one is just a lowlife crook and which one is a demented sociopath who will execute a group of enemies with a machine gun or choke out his black girlfriend on a hunch. I have a feeling that Raylan has drifted over to the bad side of things, which as this show has shown us is not the worst place to be. But it's not where we found him when the show started.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #329 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:21 AM »
In 70- to 80-some years on God's green earth this Elmont Swain had never seen "The Godfather" or "Goodfellas"?