News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I mean, fuck John Jay  ( 1,911 )

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
I mean, fuck John Jay
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »
but he's been a really solid fourth outfielder type.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I mean, fuck John Jay
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »
There's nothing wrong with liking Jon Jay

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 12, 2017, 05:50:12 AM

This. Why are we supposed to hate him again? It's not like it's Lassie we're talking about here.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 12, 2017, 04:14:19 PM
Quote from: Yeti on August 12, 2017, 05:50:12 AM

This. Why are we supposed to hate him again? It's not like it's Lassie we're talking about here.

I would not be opposed to him returning next season. He & Almora have been damn near the perfect platoon.

ETA: I also expect him to parlay this season into a few years of stacking ched elsewhere.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
do we just hate Jay because he's a former Cardinal? He was annoying to face because as we've seen this year the dude's just a professional hitter who rarely gives away an AB, but he was a little too brown and not quite scrappy enough for Cardinals fans to turn him into a cult hero and really draw our ire. He's good with me. I dunno if I'd re-sign him because this late career resurgence feels just Gaetti-ish enough that I'd not want to gamble on it again, but he's damn sure been worth the money this year.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2017, 08:25:03 AM
do we just hate Jay because he's a former Cardinal? He was annoying to face because as we've seen this year the dude's just a professional hitter who rarely gives away an AB, but he was a little too brown and not quite scrappy enough for Cardinals fans to turn him into a cult hero and really draw our ire. He's good with me. I dunno if I'd re-sign him because this late career resurgence feels just Gaetti-ish enough that I'd not want to gamble on it again, but he's damn sure been worth the money this year.

Not at all Gaetti-ish. Gaetti was 40 with 90-year-old knees playing 3rd base. He gave the Cubs a great 6 weeks on his way out the door. Classic death rattle. Jay is 32, and his performance has been pretty consistent. 2015 was an outlier. If the Cubs re-sign him, it won't be as a starter as it was with Gaetti.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 14, 2017, 09:25:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2017, 08:25:03 AM

Not at all Gaetti-ish. Gaetti was 40 with 90-year-old knees playing 3rd base. He gave the Cubs a great 6 weeks on his way out the door. Classic death rattle. Jay is 32, and his performance has been pretty consistent. 2015 was an outlier. If the Cubs re-sign him, it won't be as a starter as it was with Gaetti.

Yeah, I mean as long as they aren't in a position where they are banking on him to do exactly this again, sure. I just don't trust a guy who is posting a career high OBP and BABIP at age 32 to repeat that.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
Include me in the list of people mystified that this thread exists, but since it's here my JUSTICE BUTTHOLE take is: I thought at the time of the signing that it was a bad signing (WRONG).  He got off to strong start wherein I expected the other shoe to fall--which it did but just as soon as it did he picked it back up again and he hasn't since tailed back and is now at the point where I am downright fucking comfortable to see him out there.  Who knew?  Certainly not my dumb ass.  Go, you motherfucking spark plug or whatever you are--if you have your best season as a Cub for a World Series repeat after being a Cardinal you will be adored.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on August 14, 2017, 12:35:41 PM
Include me in the list of people mystified that this thread exists, but since it's here my JUSTICE BUTTHOLE take is: I thought at the time of the signing that it was a bad signing (WRONG).  He got off to strong start wherein I expected the other shoe to fall--which it did but just as soon as it did he picked it back up again and he hasn't since tailed back and is now at the point where I am downright fucking comfortable to see him out there.  Who knew?  Certainly not my dumb ass.  Go, you motherfucking spark plug or whatever you are--if you have your best season as a Cub for a World Series repeat after being a Cardinal you will be adored.

It helps that the meatball Cards fans I am related to have chapped asses over how much money Dexter Fowler is making to "suck" (he is absolutely not sucking considering his stats are fairly similar to last year, but his average is "not good enough fer a leadoff hitter") and how well Jay is doing as a Cub.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 02:06:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2017, 01:18:54 PM

It helps that the meatball Cards fans I am related to have chapped asses over how much money Dexter Fowler is making to "suck" (he is absolutely not sucking considering his stats are fairly similar to last year, but his average is "not good enough fer a leadoff hitter") and how well Jay is doing as a Cub.

The BFIB narrative that Fowler is somehow a Cubs spy infiltrating the Cardinals is pure awesomeness.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 14, 2017, 02:06:11 PM

The BFIB narrative that Fowler is somehow a Cubs spy infiltrating the Cardinals is pure awesomeness.

They're itching for reasons to trash him. Did you see Dex's wife fire back at a woman who lied about Dexter being mean to her kid or whatever?

Some lady posted some big rant on facebook about how she took her boys to see the Cardinals and all one of them wanted was an autograph from Dexter and he pretended he was about to sign the kid's ball and then he went "psych!" and "grabbed his beer" and headed off into the clubhouse, breaking her poor weiner kid's heart.

Dex's wife went on a big rant about how she was sitting right there the entire time and none of it happened and there was absolutely not beer in his water bottle. They don't deserve him.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2017, 02:32:26 PM

They're itching for reasons to trash him. Did you see Dex's wife fire back at a woman who lied about Dexter being mean to her kid or whatever?

Some lady posted some big rant on facebook about how she took her boys to see the Cardinals and all one of them wanted was an autograph from Dexter and he pretended he was about to sign the kid's ball and then he went "psych!" and "grabbed his beer" and headed off into the clubhouse, breaking her poor weiner kid's heart.

Dex's wife went on a big rant about how she was sitting right there the entire time and none of it happened and there was absolutely not beer in his water bottle. They don't deserve him.

I really hope the denouement to this saga is Dex being traded back to the Cubs where he gets another ring.
TIME TO POST!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 14, 2017, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2017, 02:32:26 PM

I really hope the denouement to this saga is Dex being traded back to the Cubs where he gets another ring.

I do admit the Fowler Pre-Cardinal/Jay Post-Cardinal/Fowler Post-Cardinal pattern would be be highly amusing.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs