News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo  ( 3,024 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
Anyone else read this? It's the first of three books published by a Swedish dude who died before the books were published.

A solid page-turner of a mystery/suspense book with some social criticisms thrown in that aren't too heavy-handed. About halfway through the second book and it's even better. The main female character is your standard bisexual computer-hacking goth genius.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »
We get it, every time you read a book, you're going to start a thread to tell us you read a book.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 09, 2010, 04:10:29 PM
We get it, every time you read a book, you're going to start a thread to tell us you read a book.

RV is still desperately trying to earn this:

"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 09, 2010, 05:48:53 PM

Not to mention the Pizza Hut personal pan pizza that comes with it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 09, 2010, 05:59:52 PM
Quote from: Bort on April 09, 2010, 05:48:53 PM

Not to mention the Pizza Hut personal pan pizza that comes with it.

And a chance to play the rare tabletop Dig Dug there.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »

We get it, you're dyslexic and jealous of my collection of personal pan pizzas.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »
I am restoring this thread since we now have one going on the movie made from the book.  This is one of the few books that I simply couldn't finish.  I was on page 250 of the paperback, and in spite of some sado-masochitic activiity, I put it down out of boredom.  I have read two other books since then and this book is calling to me from the shelf saying "Shame on you.  Everyone else thinks that I am a great page turner."   Can't I just go and see the movie instead?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
No one told me to see the movie instead of trying to finish this book, so I picked it up again.  I am now on page 423 (only 221 pages to go) and it is only a little more interesting.  The problem that I have with the book is that the author threw over a dozen characters into the book who are all members of the same family, and then did precious little to help us to distinguish one from the other.  Fortunately he added a family tree toward the beginning of the book.  Someone probably read the galley sheets and told him that without a roadmap the readers will be hopelessly lost.  I believe that it is going to turn out that one of these folks is the killer, so you would think that developing the characters would be more important to the author than shows in this book.  I promise to finish this thing before it kills me from boredom.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
I owe this book, and you, an apology.   There are few, if any wasted words in this book.   I was just too dense to see where it was going.  Hanging in was certainly worth it.   I said out loud at one point that "I never saw that one coming".   There are several mysteries going on at the same time I was unaware of most of them.  There is a lengthy epilogue after the real climax of the book that I think is unnecessary, or could have been done in a third of the time, but it tends to set up the sequel, which I intend to read.  I never thought that I would say that while reading the first 450 pages.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 13, 2010, 12:53:57 PM
No one told me to see the movie instead of trying to finish this book, so I picked it up again.  I am now on page 423 (only 221 pages to go) and it is only a little more interesting.  The problem that I have with the book is that the author threw over a dozen characters into the book who are all members of the same family, and then did precious little to help us to distinguish one from the other.  Fortunately he added a family tree toward the beginning of the book.  Someone probably read the galley sheets and told him that without a roadmap the readers will be hopelessly lost.  I believe that it is going to turn out that one of these folks is the killer, so you would think that developing the characters would be more important to the author than shows in this book.  I promise to finish this thing before it kills me from boredom.

Don't, whatever you do, ever read "One Hundred Years of Solitude", then.  That family tree will blow your mind - there are about seven generations and they're all called Aureliano or Arcadio.  From about fifty pages in I had no fucking idea who was who any more.

What a pretentious pile of shite.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 20, 2010, 10:42:34 AM
Quote from: CBStew on October 13, 2010, 12:53:57 PM

Don't, whatever you do, ever read "One Hundred Years of Solitude", then.  That family tree will blow your mind - there are about seven generations and they're all called Aureliano or Arcadio.  From about fifty pages in I had no fucking idea who was who any more.

What a pretentious pile of shite.

Thanks for the warning.  But you are too late.