News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,114 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #646 on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/ivychat/status/423489367747731456

Quote from: Internet ChuckIf the mascot story is no big deal, why is Julian Green on the radio talking about it?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #647 on: January 15, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 14, 2014, 09:38:09 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 14, 2014, 09:25:40 AM
Quote from: Tony on January 13, 2014, 10:49:37 PM
I've heard a lot of people making fun of the new mascot because it looks like it's for kids. Aren't mascots supposed to be for kids? It's not a new logo. I don't understand why this is even a story.

Seriously. It's for kids. It really is that simple.

And irrationally hating it means you're agreeing with Chuck.

I don't irrationally hate it. I understand what they are doing.  I just think the design, execution and roll out was well done for a bunch of hack amateurs. You know, the kind of people who would be so stupid as to ask for public financing while running a PAC against government spending.

I'm probably going to hate myself for asking this, but what precisely are your problems with the "the design, execution and roll out"?

I don't see anything in the design that makes it that much better or worse than any other mascot.

And I also don't get the roll out thing.  Was there a better way to roll out the mascot other than posting a story on their website and having it go visit a children's hospital?

What would constitute a successful execution and roll out?
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #648 on: January 15, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on January 15, 2014, 12:45:07 PM
I've heard a lot of people making fun of the new mascot because it looks like it's for kids. Aren't mascots supposed to be for kids? It's not a new logo. I don't understand why this is even a story.

I don't irrationally hate it. I understand what they are doing.  I just think the design, execution and roll out was well done for a bunch of hack amateurs. You know, the kind of people who would be so stupid as to ask for public financing while running a PAC against government spending.

I'm probably going to hate myself for asking this, but what precisely are your problems with the "the design, execution and roll out"?

I don't see anything in the design that makes it that much better or worse than any other mascot.

And I also don't get the roll out thing.  Was there a better way to roll out the mascot other than posting a story on their website and having it go visit a children's hospital?

Don't forget having the Cubs PR guy promote the new mascot.

Apparently in Chuck's world the Cubs PR guy should not talk about the mascot.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #649 on: January 15, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 15, 2014, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on January 15, 2014, 12:45:07 PM

Don't forget having the Cubs PR guy promote the new mascot.

The PR guy should focus exclusively on Ron Santo stuff being thrown in dumpsters.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #650 on: January 15, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »
Chuck may not be able to articulate just what the whole mascot "screw up" was, exactly, but he can tell you who to blame and what bad things it portends...

https://twitter.com/ivychat/status/423499458983124992

QuoteThis whole mascot screw up just reeks of Crane Kenney. Up next, Clark starts spreading holy water.

https://twitter.com/ivychat/status/423548939657166848

QuoteIf the Cubs front office can't manage the rollout of a mascot, are we confident they can manage a billion dollar media deal?

Upon careful consideration of this whole something something something, Chuck finds himself forced to reluctantly ask some tough questions about the competence of the Cubs front office.

Doc

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #651 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 15, 2014, 12:51:15 PM

When the mascot is not around, the young Cubs fans should ask, where's Poochie Clark?

This whole kerfuffle needs a catchy title in the media like "Clark-gate" or "Mascot Mayhem."

Some observations:
1) Who is the sap in the suit? Is it one guy like Benny the Bull, or is it a revolving cast of performers who have clown college degrees to wordlessly interact with kids.
2) If it shows up at Wrigley and roams the stands / aisles, how long before a drunk grabs the head and tosses it to the lower stands? The over-under starts at May 1.
3) Why does the hat have to be on backwards? Is that to appeal to a demographic or just to impart Clark's "plays by his own rules" rakish nature?
"You're a daisy if you do."

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #652 on: January 15, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
Quote from: Doc on January 15, 2014, 03:03:57 PM
Some observations:
1) Who is the sap in the suit? Is it one guy like Benny the Bull, or is it a revolving cast of performers who have clown college degrees to wordlessly interact with kids.

Let's look at the Wisconsin model.

QuoteQ: You write that one of the myths about successful athletic programs at universities is that they make a lot of money for the school. You used Wisconsin's trip to the 1999 Rose Bowl as an example.

A: Wisconsin's payout for playing was like $1.8 million and they spent $2.1 million. A former student of mine was a reporter in Madison and he sent a list of the official traveling party: 832 persons, from the president's office and all their spouses and the faculty athletic committee and all their spouses, and so on. Of course, they stayed in a fancy Beverly Hills hotel. And then people wonder why those who nominally have control over athletics don't do anything. They're on the gravy train and totally complicit.

But the part that got me was this: I'm reading down the list and near the bottom there's three Bucky Badgers (Wisconsin's mascot). I couldn't figure out why they needed three, because only one runs out on the field. Then I saw that for the New Year's Eve party they spent something like $39,000 and it occurred to me that, if the first two Buckys got wasted, they could always suit up the third for the game.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #653 on: January 15, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 15, 2014, 03:01:07 PM
Chuck may not be able to articulate just what the whole mascot "screw up" was, exactly, but he can tell you who to blame and what bad things it portends...

https://twitter.com/ivychat/status/423499458983124992

QuoteThis whole mascot screw up just reeks of Crane Kenney. Up next, Clark starts spreading holy water.

https://twitter.com/ivychat/status/423548939657166848

QuoteIf the Cubs front office can't manage the rollout of a mascot, are we confident they can manage a billion dollar media deal?

Upon careful consideration of this whole something something something, Chuck finds himself forced to reluctantly ask some tough questions about the competence of the Cubs front office.

No one begs the question quite like Chuck.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #654 on: January 15, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
Doc edited his post, haha.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #655 on: January 15, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
Quote from: Tony on January 14, 2014, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: Brownie on January 14, 2014, 04:50:16 PM

http://997now.cbslocal.com/2014/01/14/jim-harbaughs-wife-calls-fg-putting-hubby-on-blast-01-14-14/

QuoteJim Harbaugh's wife Sarah surprises Fernando and Greg by calling in and putting her husband's pleated pants on blast! Listen as she asks the guys to help her hubby out and give him a makeover!

"I will not take the blame for his outfits," Sarah said.

"I've thrown them away many of times. I've asked him 'Please, pleats are gone. Wear the flat front.'" she explained to Fernando and Greg, "He has a flattering body."

"I threw them out and when he went to the combine, he found a Walmart. They were $8. $8!"

UPDATE 01.15.2014:

God bless the internet. We now have visual proof of one of Jim Harbaugh's excursions to Walmart for his patented pleated khakis.

Doc

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #656 on: January 16, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 15, 2014, 08:55:36 PM

Doc fat-fingered the Enter key when he hit the colon button. It's hard to type with a pistol in your left hand and a lung-rattling cough.

By the way: you just made The List.
"You're a daisy if you do."

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #657 on: January 16, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
Quote from: Doc on January 16, 2014, 01:12:06 PM

Doc fat-fingered the Enter key when he hit the colon button. It's hard to type with a pistol in your left hand and a lung-rattling cough.

Huey: Too big for anal
Doc: Too big for colon

I see what you did there.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #658 on: January 16, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 16, 2014, 01:51:41 PM
Quote from: Doc on January 16, 2014, 01:12:06 PM

Huey: Too big for anal
Doc: Too big for colon

I see what you did there.
Too big because it is a semi colon?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club