News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Draft Thread  ( 17,109 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs Draft Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 08, 2010, 10:56:23 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 08, 2010, 10:40:11 AM
Quote from: BH on June 08, 2010, 10:31:52 AM
Who has Wilkens drafted that the system has screwed up in your opinion?

That's not the issue.  Fork is suggesting that Mr. Fleita and Mr. Hendry have a poor record at player development, regardless who is drafting.

To date, is it only Colvin that Wilkens has drafted that has made the majors?  And he plays defense like a future DH.  That's great for a national league team.

Huh? He's probably not good enough to play CF but everything that I've seen suggests he'd be average to above average defensively at either corner.

And who is this Wilkens dude you guys keep talking about?

Only the 99th best Cub of all time, idiot.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 08, 2010, 11:00:10 AM
Huh? He's probably not good enough to play CF but everything that I've seen suggests he'd be average to above average defensively at either corner.

Man, has Soriano lowered your defensive expectations.

Honestly, you're the first person I've seen dog Colvin's defense at the corners. Small sample size yes, but Fangraphs and Baseball Reference both have him as an above average fielder. Did he make an error in a recent game or something? Is it just Chucktown and I should forget it?

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
I'm confused by those who might think this could've been a money thing as far down as 16.  The first few picks, maybe get to consider setting their own market, because they could holdout, go back into the draft, and possibly recoop what they feel they might lose with the next team that drafts them.  (J.D. Drew)

After that, I believe it's generally a "slotting" thing, much like the NFL.  The Cubs are going to have to pay whoever they drafted in that spot in the neighborhood of what the 16th best player in the draft commands.   

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 08, 2010, 11:33:34 AM

Honestly, you're the first person I've seen dog Colvin's defense at the corners. Small sample size yes, but Fangraphs and Baseball Reference both have him as an above average fielder. Did he make an error in a recent game or something? Is it just Chucktown and I should forget it?

DPD time.

I've been real impressed with Colvin's defense, personally.  

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on June 08, 2010, 11:48:12 AM

DPD time.

I've been real impressed with Colvin's defense, personally.  

THIS.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 08, 2010, 10:35:38 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/your-morning-phil-simpson-sale-strasburg.html

"You can find pitching in funny places. The White Sox landed Mark Buehrle as a draft-and-follow pick from Jefferson Jr. College, outside of St. Louis. The Cubs got Greg Maddux  as a scrawny high school pitcher from Las Vegas. In Sale, the headliner for a start-up program at Florida Gulf Coast University, and Simpson they landed pitchers with better amateur portfolios than either Buehrle or Maddux.
The Cubs sort of stumbled onto Simpson on the reports of their area scout for southwest Arkansas, Jim Crawford -- or "Crawdaddy,'' as scouting director Tim Wilken calls him -- and every time a different scout looked at him he continued to look better. He has a Tim Lincecum-style delivery, which roving pitching director Mark Riggins graded as a 100 on a scale of 1-100, and throws four quality pitches, including a fastball that hit 97 in games the Cubs scouted.

"You had to say, 'Hey, wait a minute, this is almost too good to be true,' " Wilken said.

Simpson was 35-2 with a 2.39 ERA in his career for the Muleriders -- yes, the Muleriders.

"That shows you his competitiveness, his will to win,'' Wilken said. "His freshman year he was 10-0. I think that shows he has a really good feel for pitching.''"

I like almost everything I read of that quote except the last paragraph.  I'm pretty sure every prospect in the draft has "competetiveness" and "will to win."  They're athletes and that's what athletes do.  I don't care about that.  Can he throw gas, get people out and not have mechanics that could Mark Prior himself in pro ball?  KTHX

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 08, 2010, 12:14:15 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/your-morning-phil-simpson-sale-strasburg.html

"You can find pitching in funny places. The White Sox landed Mark Buehrle as a draft-and-follow pick from Jefferson Jr. College, outside of St. Louis. The Cubs got Greg Maddux  as a scrawny high school pitcher from Las Vegas. In Sale, the headliner for a start-up program at Florida Gulf Coast University, and Simpson they landed pitchers with better amateur portfolios than either Buehrle or Maddux.
The Cubs sort of stumbled onto Simpson on the reports of their area scout for southwest Arkansas, Jim Crawford -- or "Crawdaddy,'' as scouting director Tim Wilken calls him -- and every time a different scout looked at him he continued to look better. He has a Tim Lincecum-style delivery, which roving pitching director Mark Riggins graded as a 100 on a scale of 1-100, and throws four quality pitches, including a fastball that hit 97 in games the Cubs scouted.

"You had to say, 'Hey, wait a minute, this is almost too good to be true,' " Wilken said.

Simpson was 35-2 with a 2.39 ERA in his career for the Muleriders -- yes, the Muleriders.

"That shows you his competitiveness, his will to win,'' Wilken said. "His freshman year he was 10-0. I think that shows he has a really good feel for pitching.''"

I like almost everything I read of that quote except the last paragraph.  I'm pretty sure every prospect in the draft has "competetiveness" and "will to win."  They're athletes and that's what athletes do.  I don't care about that.  Can he throw gas, get people out and not have mechanics that could Mark Prior himself in pro ball?  KTHX

I don't agree with that at all. Lots of great athletes could give 2 shits about winning. And end up playing minor league baseball for their entire career or just quiting all together.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on June 08, 2010, 11:47:09 AM
I'm confused by those who might think this could've been a money thing as far down as 16.  The first few picks, maybe get to consider setting their own market, because they could holdout, go back into the draft, and possibly recoop what they feel they might lose with the next team that drafts them.  (J.D. Drew)

After that, I believe it's generally a "slotting" thing, much like the NFL.  The Cubs are going to have to pay whoever they drafted in that spot in the neighborhood of what the 16th best player in the draft commands.   

Slotting doesn't mean anything in the draft, it's just a recommendation. Lots of guys drop due to signability issues. A team can pay any bonus they want.. hence the cubs spending a ton on the shark.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 08, 2010, 12:21:31 PM

I don't agree with that at all. Lots of great athletes could give 2 shits about winning. And end up playing minor league baseball for their entire career or just quiting all together.

Lots?  I mean, I guess a lot of these guys never see as high as AA ball.  It's good to see whatever "competitiveness" and "will to win" are in a young athlete your about to pay millions of dollars to as sort of an indication that he won't be one of those turds.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 08, 2010, 12:31:28 PM

Lots?  I mean, I guess a lot of these guys never see as high as AA ball.  It's good to see whatever "competitiveness" and "will to win" are in a young athlete your about to pay millions of dollars to as sort of an indication that he won't be one of those turds.

Obviously Simpson has zero talent. It's his "will to win" that makes him good. Is that your argument?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 08, 2010, 12:37:42 PM

Obviously Simpson has zero talent. It's his "will to win" that makes him good. Is that your argument?

For fuck's sake...the quote was made that his awesome collegiate record shows his "wil to win" and "competitiveness".  That make total sense to you?

Anyway, the Cubs picked LSU switch-hitting catcher Micah Gibbs.  GREAT pick.  This kid's got a lot of talent.*

(*I'm very biased.)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 08, 2010, 12:42:51 PM
Quote from: BH on June 08, 2010, 12:37:42 PM

For fuck's sake...the quote was made that his awesome collegiate record shows his "wil to win" and "competitiveness".  That make total sense to you?

Anyway, the Cubs picked LSU switch-hitting catcher Micah Gibbs.  GREAT pick.  This kid's got a lot of talent.

Kid's got fire in his eyes. He WANTS IT. Pick of the year IMO.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
2nd & 3rd round picks:

QuoteReggie Golden | OF | Alabama HS
Golden is another fast riser that has been mentioned in first round consideration. The raw, but athletic outfielder flashes all five tools and speed is a big part of his game right now but he's expected to slow down as his body matures. Golden also has good bat speed and a very strong arm, which is tailor-made for right-field. He'll have to watch his conditioning, as he's already 210 lbs on a 5′10" frame and he has a thick lower half. He's committed to the University of Alabama.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Broad shoulders and strong chest, strong hands, forearms and grip. Stocky lower half, strong and durable legs and thighs. Medium height and low center of gravity.

STRENGTHS: Above-average runner, good first step. Above-average raw power, above-average raw arm strength.

WEAKNESSES: Will need to improve power frequency, arm accuracy, contact consistency, defensive footwork and angles of approach over the coming years; all correctable with time, age and experience.

SUMMARY: Should not have one below-average major league tool in coming years. Should profile as everyday corner outfielder with middle-of-the-order potential.

QuoteMicah Gibbs, c
Louisiana State
Gibbs has the best receiving skills among catchers in the 2010 draft, and those and his ability to handle a pitching staff earn repeated comparisons to Jason Varitek. He doesn't have a cannon behind the plate, but his arm strength is average and he enhances it with a quick release and good accuracy. However, he had thrown out just 15 percent of basestealers through mid-May, down from 32 percent in his first two seasons. His hitting has gone in the other direction, as he was batting .424, up from .306 the previous two years and .212 with wood bats in the Cape Cod League last summer. A 5-foot-11, 207-pound switch-hitter, Gibbs has spread out his stance, added more balance and simplified his swing. He has strength, but his swing can get loopy at times and he doesn't have an abundance of bat speed or power. He may not be more than a .260 hitter with 10-12 homers annually in the majors, but his defensive ability should make him a starter. The scarcity of catchers often enhances their draft status, so Gibbs could sneak into the first or sandwich round.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »

Chuck doesn't watch baseball.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 08, 2010, 12:55:43 PM
2nd & 3rd round picks:

QuoteReggie Golden | OF | Alabama HS
Golden is another fast riser that has been mentioned in first round consideration. The raw, but athletic outfielder flashes all five tools and speed is a big part of his game right now but he's expected to slow down as his body matures. Golden also has good bat speed and a very strong arm, which is tailor-made for right-field. He'll have to watch his conditioning, as he's already 210 lbs on a 5′10" frame and he has a thick lower half. He's committed to the University of Alabama.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Broad shoulders and strong chest, strong hands, forearms and grip. Stocky lower half, strong and durable legs and thighs. Medium height and low center of gravity.

STRENGTHS: Above-average runner, good first step. Above-average raw power, above-average raw arm strength.

WEAKNESSES: Will need to improve power frequency, arm accuracy, contact consistency, defensive footwork and angles of approach over the coming years; all correctable with time, age and experience.

SUMMARY: Should not have one below-average major league tool in coming years. Should profile as everyday corner outfielder with middle-of-the-order potential.

QuoteMicah Gibbs, c
Louisiana State
Gibbs has the best receiving skills among catchers in the 2010 draft, and those and his ability to handle a pitching staff earn repeated comparisons to Jason Varitek. He doesn't have a cannon behind the plate, but his arm strength is average and he enhances it with a quick release and good accuracy. However, he had thrown out just 15 percent of basestealers through mid-May, down from 32 percent in his first two seasons. His hitting has gone in the other direction, as he was batting .424, up from .306 the previous two years and .212 with wood bats in the Cape Cod League last summer. A 5-foot-11, 207-pound switch-hitter, Gibbs has spread out his stance, added more balance and simplified his swing. He has strength, but his swing can get loopy at times and he doesn't have an abundance of bat speed or power. He may not be more than a .260 hitter with 10-12 homers annually in the majors, but his defensive ability should make him a starter. The scarcity of catchers often enhances their draft status, so Gibbs could sneak into the first or sandwich round.

Meaning he previously committed, or he's still committed to going?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"