News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?  ( 25,889 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 11:03:29 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 25, 2010, 10:59:15 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 25, 2010, 10:54:49 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 25, 2010, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: Slaky on June 25, 2010, 10:14:34 AM
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2010, 10:08:23 AM
Quote from: Slaky on June 25, 2010, 09:54:09 AM
I think the original question was a serious one. And a good one.

Man, this whole organization is fucked. I couldn't even be bothered to watch the 12th inning of yesterday's crapfest. They won? Yay. Who gives a shit.

I hope the White Sox sweep them this weekend. Enjoy your BP Cup, scum.

If Ricketts is operating under the premise that he will axe Hendry at the end of the season, why wait? I know it would have put a crimp in his African safari, but why let a bad employee ruin the product any more?

I don't know what he's afraid of. But if he was serious about making the Cubs a winner and not just a fan destination he'd clean the front office out and spend money on the best baseball people that can be bought. That's what any of us would do, right?

As it stands, I'd say they're  hoping to distract everyone from the baseball for awhile and hope the Cubs back into enough success to keep everyone happy.

Also, who the fuck goes to Africa in June? Goddamn it.

He's actually got tickets to the World Cup, but whereas killing (probably) endangered animals is badass, watching soccer is ghey. He's already got a lesbian sister, so they don't want to be seen as Too gay to own an 'Merican sports franchise.

Most safaris don't actually involve killing anything in this, the gayest of eras.

But how will I get my precious Ivory?

Orphan teeth.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2010, 10:58:20 AM
Quote from: BH on June 25, 2010, 10:26:51 AM

Man, this whole organization is fucked. I couldn't even be bothered to watch the 12th inning of yesterday's crapfest. They won? Yay. Who gives a shit.

If Ricketts is operating under the premise that he will axe Hendry at the end of the season, why wait? I know it would have put a crimp in his African safari, but why let a bad employee ruin the product any more?

I don't know what he's afraid of. But if he was serious about making the Cubs a winner and not just a fan destination he'd clean the front office out and spend money on the best baseball people that can be bought. That's what any of us would do, right?

As it stands, I'd say they're  hoping to distract everyone from the baseball for awhile and hope the Cubs back into enough success to keep everyone happy.

His wanting to take his time to make any decision is a bit troublesome. Our team sucks. Our payroll is huge. Our team is ancient.
It's not a small hidden issue here. The results speak for themselves. If morph managed his client's money like Hendry manages our Kubbeez, he'd have been out on his ass years ago. This team is run like a fantasy camp.

Let's look at the last group of owners, the Tribune Company. They bought the Cubs during the strike (in mid-June 1981) and hired Dallas Green in early October 1981. Jerome Holtzman reported that Green accepted the offer on Oct. 9 (and had decided that Lee Elia would manage the Cubs), which was the same day as his Phillies third game in the Division Series against Montreal. Green was officially announced a couple days after the Phils lost in five games.

In the time in between the Tribune announcing they were buying the Cubs and the Green hire, here were the player moves:

QuoteAugust 15, 1981

Traded Lynn McGlothen to the Chicago White Sox. Received a player to be named later. The Chicago White Sox sent Bob Molinaro (March 29, 1982) to the Chicago Cubs to complete the trade.

August 19, 1981

Traded players to be named later to the New York Yankees. Received Pat Tabler. The Chicago Cubs sent Bill Caudill (April 1, 1982) and Jay Howell (August 2, 1982) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

But... the sale wasn't approved by the other owners until August 1981 (the same day they voted on a split-season). It appears they were out hunting for a new GM in late August, and by then they had settled on Dallas Green.

Even the Tribune Company "got it."

So basically, Tombo is off to a worse start than the Tribune Co.

I hate this team.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on June 25, 2010, 11:04:22 AM

As it stands, I'd say they're  hoping to distract everyone from the baseball for awhile and hope the Cubs back into enough success to keep everyone happy.

His wanting to take his time to make any decision is a bit troublesome. Our team sucks. Our payroll is huge. Our team is ancient.
It's not a small hidden issue here. The results speak for themselves. If morph managed his client's money like Hendry manages our Kubbeez, he'd have been out on his ass years ago. This team is run like a fantasy camp.

Let's look at the last group of owners, the Tribune Company. They bought the Cubs during the strike (in mid-June 1981) and hired Dallas Green in early October 1981. Jerome Holtzman reported that Green accepted the offer on Oct. 9 (and had decided that Lee Elia would manage the Cubs), which was the same day as his Phillies third game in the Division Series against Montreal. Green was officially announced a couple days after the Phils lost in five games.

In the time in between the Tribune announcing they were buying the Cubs and the Green hire, here were the player moves:

QuoteAugust 15, 1981

Traded Lynn McGlothen to the Chicago White Sox. Received a player to be named later. The Chicago White Sox sent Bob Molinaro (March 29, 1982) to the Chicago Cubs to complete the trade.

August 19, 1981

Traded players to be named later to the New York Yankees. Received Pat Tabler. The Chicago Cubs sent Bill Caudill (April 1, 1982) and Jay Howell (August 2, 1982) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

But... the sale wasn't approved by the other owners until August 1981 (the same day they voted on a split-season). It appears they were out hunting for a new GM in late August, and by then they had settled on Dallas Green.

I hate this team.

Que a Houston Astros late season comeback allusion.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »

QuoteAugust 15, 1981

August 19, 1981

I hate this team.
Again, to be fair, the Trib didn't hire a new GM until the season was over.

I would have fired Hendry last winter.  Then again, firing him wouldn't have cost me $7.5 million (if reports of Hendry's salary are correct).

If Hendry is here on November 1, I think it's open season.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 11:09:24 AM

QuoteAugust 15, 1981

August 19, 1981

I hate this team.

I would have fired Hendry last winter.  Then again, firing him wouldn't have cost me $7.5 million (if reports of Hendry's salary are correct).

We had better hope that this team gets even worse then. If there any signs of life in the second half of the season Hendry may very well be here on Nov 1st and you'll have said open season.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 11:09:24 AM

QuoteAugust 15, 1981

August 19, 1981

I hate this team.

Fair to whom? Ricketts closed in late October 2009 and had owner approval in September. The Tribune got owner's approval in early August, apparently told Franks to move some old players out and also told him to start cleaning out his office. Considering Green took the job before the NLDS was over and it was official two days after Philly was eliminated, I'm guessing the Tribune had their man within 30 days of getting owners' approval.

Ricketts should have set his front office the same day he took over.

It turns out he did.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2010, 11:21:40 AM
Fair to whom? Ricketts closed in late October 2009 and had owner approval in September. The Tribune got owner's approval in early August, apparently told Franks to move some old players out and also told him to start cleaning out his office. Considering Green took the job before the NLDS was over and it was official two days after Philly was eliminated, I'm guessing the Tribune had their man within 30 days of getting owners' approval.

Again, there was as much as $7.5 million on the table not to do that.  And Ricketts signed off on the Hendry deal as part of the due diligence (Hendry was extended during the sale process. - all buyers consented). 

Now, a smart buyer would have adjusted their offer price based upon hat contracts that had to be eaten.  Given that Tom and the Sibling Ricketts business acumen is unknown, and the father built the family wealth, it's unknown how smart he is.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »
One big problem, regardless of who the GM is, is that the biggest of contracts the Cubs are saddled with is virtually untradeable. Even if Soriano is unloaded they're going to have to eat a shitload of money to do it. Not sure how much that helps.

Hendry should have been shitcanned after last season but I suspect Ricketts didn't want to eat that contract either - which doesn't bode well for the future.

Of course the real reason could be that Ricketts knows who he wants and that guy is a kick ass GM who won't be available until this winter. It's possible, right? Right? Please tell me it's possible.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on June 25, 2010, 11:51:36 AM
One big problem, regardless of who the GM is, is that the biggest of contracts the Cubs are saddled with is virtually untradeable. Even if Soriano is unloaded they're going to have to eat a shitload of money to do it. Not sure how much that helps.

Hendry should have been shitcanned after last season but I suspect Ricketts didn't want to eat that contract either - which doesn't bode well for the future.

Of course the real reason could be that Ricketts knows who he wants and that guy is a kick ass GM who won't be available until this winter. It's possible, right? Right? Please tell me it's possible.

I'm not crying about Soriano being here. Yeah, if he caught fire and could somehow be traded that'd be fine. But he's not the sole reason this team is in the shitter - not that I think you're saying he is.

I'm crying because like the original post said - the Cubs have the highest payroll in the NL and one of the worst performing teams for that money. It's sickening.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:25:27 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on June 25, 2010, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:11:26 AM

Because Ricketts doesn't know what he is doing.  Three years of due diligence and 20 years as a fan and he didn't make a move yet.

It took Rocky Wirtz 46 days to hire John McDonough after Wirtz took over the Hawks.

On top of that  Rocky wasn't even involved with Hawks until he took over. Basically he started from scratch, cleaned everything out and put his stamp on the franchise immediately. Who the fuck knows what Ricketts is doing or thinking.

To be fair, Rocky had been around the organization since he was a kid and knew the people involved and had seen them work together.  He probably had a bunch of "If I were in charge, I'd..." moments over the years.

Then again, one would think Ricketts has as well.  And three years to think about it during due diligence is plenty of time.

Peter Wirtz was the one who was more involved.

Rocky took a business that was in the ditch and got rid of everyone who steered it there.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2010, 01:28:46 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:25:27 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on June 25, 2010, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:11:26 AM

Because Ricketts doesn't know what he is doing.  Three years of due diligence and 20 years as a fan and he didn't make a move yet.

It took Rocky Wirtz 46 days to hire John McDonough after Wirtz took over the Hawks.

On top of that  Rocky wasn't even involved with Hawks until he took over. Basically he started from scratch, cleaned everything out and put his stamp on the franchise immediately. Who the fuck knows what Ricketts is doing or thinking.

To be fair, Rocky had been around the organization since he was a kid and knew the people involved and had seen them work together.  He probably had a bunch of "If I were in charge, I'd..." moments over the years.

Then again, one would think Ricketts has as well.  And three years to think about it during due diligence is plenty of time.

Peter Wirtz was the one who was more involved.

Rocky took a business that was in the ditch and got rid of everyone who steered it there.

Yeah, the story always was that Rocky had almost nothing to do with the hockey team prior to his old man's death.  He ran the liquor side of things, and had no interest in it until he got the bill to make up a $3MM shortfall in hockey operations.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Is it possible that the next GM is already in the front office?  Ricketts hired Ari Kaplan about a month ago, and judging by Hendry's quotes about stats "not being able to tell us to pick up Carlos Silva," my guess is that he's not too happy with it.  Coupled with Ricketts general reputation as being pro-statfag, it could be possible.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 01:55:24 PM »
I think it's extremely early to start piling on the Ricketts. Dismissing them as evil rubes at this juncture smacks of meatballary. They're saddled with contracts that the previous ownership approved. And yelling for them to "DO SUMFING!@!!!" now like hire a new G.M. and Manager in the middle of a lost season is beneath some of you.

Who in fuck are they going to get to steer this ship the way it's put together? Punish Hendry for this shit NOW!!! If you fire him you still have to pay him, jagoff. What punishment? Send Lou back to Tampa to float around in his pool with a bottle of Jack? You're too cruel.

I'll wait to see how it plays out. I believe Hendry will be sacked and Lou will retire. We'll see what they do then. And if I don't like it, I'll grab a pitchfork and head down there with you. We'll break something. It'll be cathartic.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 25, 2010, 01:55:24 PM
I think it's extremely early to start piling on the Ricketts. Dismissing them as evil rubes at this juncture smacks of meatballary. They're saddled with contracts that the previous ownership approved. And yelling for them to "DO SUMFING!@!!!" now like hire a new G.M. and Manager in the middle of a lost season is beneath some of you.

Who in fuck are they going to get to steer this ship the way it's put together? Punish Hendry for this shit NOW!!! If you fire him you still have to pay him, jagoff. What punishment? Send Lou back to Tampa to float around in his pool with a bottle of Jack? You're too cruel.

I'll wait to see how it plays out. I believe Hendry will be sacked and Lou will retire. We'll see what they do then. And if I don't like it, I'll grab a pitchfork and head down there with you. We'll break something. It'll be cathartic.

There is a big reason to window-dress Hendry now.  If he's incompetent at talent evaluation (he is) you can't allow him to trade anyone.  Make him the director of pro scouting, but take the trade-and-contract negotiation keys away and he can stay.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
But if you bring somebody else in to do those things he or she would have to understand they're in a trial role with the team and that everybody would be re-evaluated at season's end. I highly doubt that anybody with any real skill or ambition would want to sign up for that gig given what this team has. So castrate Hendry, as it appears they have. He didn't take on much salary in the offseason and it appears he can't now.

The moves he did make this offseason - signing Byrd and Milty/Silva were pretty decent. The Nady and Tracy signings were really annoying but no more so than Ramirez, Lee and Zambrano opting for early retirement and replacing themselves with convincing body doubles.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.