News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 57,586 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on October 30, 2014, 10:02:57 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 17, 2014, 11:45:10 AM
Quote from: Yeti on October 17, 2014, 11:41:54 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 17, 2014, 11:38:10 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 17, 2014, 11:37:01 AM
Keeping Smilin' Rick is fine for now, unless they have a shot at a post-Friedman Joe Maddon.

I do think Ricky does good work when it comes to making players feel good and happy. At least he has so far. That is very important. I hope he learns and grows with the on field stuff. I'm not really too interested in seeing them change managers all the time.

Starlin Castro has had 4 managers in his 5 MLB years

Right. Ricky will be here unless the Cubs somehow lose 100 games again next year or there's a player revolt. There's no point in getting worked up over Joe Maddon or anyone else.

Well, we sure look stupid.

No point.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: ChuckD on October 30, 2014, 09:50:13 AM
The Rays led the AL in SH attempts.

LESS OF THAT BUNTING MORE OF THIS BUNTING.

#GEEWHIZTHEOGETTHERIGHTKINDOFBUNTING

wait is your maths against Joe Maddon? Plz tell me the maths like him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on October 30, 2014, 08:01:07 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 30, 2014, 07:49:57 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 29, 2014, 05:06:11 PM
For real, if this is true (and let's assume it is) it's amazing.

Whether he's a much better manager than Renteria or not (or if that's really even possible) the fact that they've landed the best possible and most sought after option speaks volumes about this front office and how they're perceived.  

So you're saying he's as good a hire as Dusty Baker or Lou Piniella were?

I'm guessing that's some kind of joke based on Hendry having made two really good managerial hires while he was in charge.

Theo's group has not yet done so. They have now. There are still portions of the fan base who think he's actually sabotaging the big league club and just cashing a check. This will begin the process of shutting them the fuck up.

Just saying hiring Maddon (or even Renteria) doesn't represent a sea change from the Hendry regime - hiring managers was the one thing they actually did pretty well.

The one difference is that while Renteria didn't do a bad job last year, they saw an opportunity for improvement and seized upon it. Teams generally don't replace a manager unless they're not happy with the one in place.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on October 30, 2014, 10:26:22 AM

Whether he's a much better manager than Renteria or not (or if that's really even possible) the fact that they've landed the best possible and most sought after option speaks volumes about this front office and how they're perceived.  

I'm guessing that's some kind of joke based on Hendry having made two really good managerial hires while he was in charge.

Theo's group has not yet done so. They have now. There are still portions of the fan base who think he's actually sabotaging the big league club and just cashing a check. This will begin the process of shutting them the fuck up.

Just saying hiring Maddon (or even Renteria) doesn't represent a sea change from the Hendry regime - hiring managers was the one thing they actually did pretty well.

The one difference is that while Renteria didn't do a bad job last year, they saw an opportunity for improvement and seized upon it. Teams generally don't replace a manager unless they're not happy with the one in place.

My understanding is that Maddon manages with a style that completely jells with the philosophy that Jepstink has for the ballclub, which differs completely from the hires of their predecessors who had no discernible philosophy for the ballclub. 
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on October 30, 2014, 10:34:40 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 30, 2014, 10:26:22 AM

My understanding is that Maddon manages with a style that completely jells with the philosophy that Jepstink has for the ballclub, which differs completely from the hires of their predecessors who had no discernible philosophy for the ballclub. 

Maddon also has a wee bit of history in getting young players adjusted to the MLB.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on October 30, 2014, 10:09:37 AM
Quote from: Yeti on October 30, 2014, 10:02:57 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 17, 2014, 11:45:10 AM
Quote from: Yeti on October 17, 2014, 11:41:54 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 17, 2014, 11:38:10 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 17, 2014, 11:37:01 AM
Keeping Smilin' Rick is fine for now, unless they have a shot at a post-Friedman Joe Maddon.

I do think Ricky does good work when it comes to making players feel good and happy. At least he has so far. That is very important. I hope he learns and grows with the on field stuff. I'm not really too interested in seeing them change managers all the time.

Starlin Castro has had 4 managers in his 5 MLB years

Right. Ricky will be here unless the Cubs somehow lose 100 games again next year or there's a player revolt. There's no point in getting worked up over Joe Maddon or anyone else.

Well, we sure look stupid.

No point.

I should have known he'd opt out of a clause in his contract no one knew existed until Friedman left. Damn it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Does this mean Joepstink's going to lure David Price and James Shields here and then trade a sack of balls for a lightly-used BJ Upton?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: ChuckD on October 30, 2014, 11:54:04 AM
Does this mean Joepstink's going to lure David Price and James Shields here and then trade a sack of balls for a lightly-used BJ Upton?

Whatever Maddon's in-game pros and cons are - it's hard to ignore that adding him to Wrigley, a shitload of young hitting talent, and the chance to touch Jake Arrieta's beard - you got a stew goin baby. Players are going to want to come here again.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on October 30, 2014, 11:59:26 AM

Whatever Maddon's in-game pros and cons are - it's hard to ignore that adding him to Wrigley, a shitload of young hitting talent, and the chance to touch Jake Arrieta's beard - you got a stew goin baby. Players are going to want to come here again.

I'd put a healthy wager down that the clubhouse renovation will have the biggest impact in getting players to sign or waive their no-trades.

Look at this shit:

Compared to the current clubhouse: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/mdu2boy/2593548881/in/photostream/lightbox/

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

I just straight up laughed.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

lower case "s"
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I sure hope not.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 30, 2014, 01:20:35 PM

I sure hope not.

I thought they said they were looking to add contact and OBP to augment the free-swinging lineup they've got projected, lest they actually LITERALLY become the fucking Braves.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on October 30, 2014, 01:29:00 PM

I sure hope not.

I thought they said they were looking to add contact and OBP to augment the free-swinging lineup they've got projected, lest they actually LITERALLY become the fucking Braves.

Even in a swap for Edlose, this is a bad idea.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on October 30, 2014, 01:54:57 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 30, 2014, 01:29:00 PM

I sure hope not.

Even in a swap for Edlose, this is a bad idea.

IT'S GONNA HAPPEN