News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Inception SPOILERS  ( 8,269 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Inception SPOILERS
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
This is movie is so awesome I don't want to spoil anything for dudes who haven't seen it.

He was dreaming at the end. The kids hadn't changed at all.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Inception SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 23, 2010, 08:37:31 AM
This is movie is so awesome I don't want to spoil anything for dudes who haven't seen it.

This works for me. Are you sure though? How long was he gone? That top wasn't spinning completely stable. It had a look that it would fall down. That said, I don't know if I've waited in anticipation for something to happen at the end of a movie like that.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »

Norman Bates was his own mother.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 23, 2010, 08:39:56 AM

This works for me. Are you sure though? How long was he gone? That top wasn't spinning completely stable. It had a look that it would fall down. That said, I don't know if I've waited in anticipation for something to happen at the end of a movie like that.

I don't remember the length of his exile being explicitly mentioned (I'm sure it wasn't to maintain the ambiguity) but it seamed like he had been on the run for at least a year or so. From what I hear, those little bastards sprout up quite quickly.

The whole movie wasn't a dream though. In the scene in his apartment/hotel room where he talked to the kids on the phone, the top fell over, right?

On a general note, jebus that movie was intense. I was on the edge of my seat pretty much from the point they all went into the chemist's level 1 dream until the end.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:54:28 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 23, 2010, 08:49:10 AM

I don't remember the length of his exile being explicitly mentioned (I'm sure it wasn't to maintain the ambiguity) but it seamed like he had been on the run for at least a year or so. From what I hear, those little bastards sprout up quite quickly.

The whole movie wasn't a dream though. In the scene in his apartment/hotel room where he talked to the kids on the phone, the top fell over, right?

On a general note, jebus that movie was intense. I was on the edge of my seat pretty much from the point they all went into the chemist's level 1 dream until the end.

I also noticed the kids hadn't aged, but the top sure did sound like it was starting to wobble...

I have one story flaw question.  In the first dream level (the raining city), they're supposed to "jump" awake when the van goes off the bridge -- only, they don't because they're all asleep in the hotel.  Except 3rd Rock wasn't asleep -- shouldn't he have "jumped" and woken up when the van went off the bridge, leaving the others stuck in the snow fortress?

(My only thought to contradict that is to say that he's an experienced dreamer ... maybe he can force himself to ignore the jump)
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »

True. I could go with a year gone. Kids do grow on occasions.

The top did fall over.

And, yea it was as intense as dick.

Now, to my thoughts on times in dreams. This movie seemed to coincide with my theory about how time works in dreams. Mine goes a step further. I base most of my thoughts on this from one experience about 4-6 years ago. I was at my grandparents house sleeping a little during the day. Someone was carrying a box and dropped it on the ground which woke me up when it hit. Well, in my dream, I was apparently sitting against the wall, talking to someone in our high school gym. The thing that "woke" me in the dream was that a basketball hit the wall right above our heads at the same time the box hit the ground, at least it was my perception. I surmised that the box hit the ground, my mind heard the sound, and since I was in my dream, my mind created a scenario in which a dream would coincide with what happened in the world around me. This whole experience had to take milliseconds to occur.

I did read some things saying that dreams occur at the same speed as real time. So, that could contend with my theory, but I found it interesting that Inception went a similar route with time in dreams.

Also, SEAM

Quote from: Canadouche on July 23, 2010, 08:54:28 AM
I have one story flaw question.  In the first dream level (the raining city), they're supposed to "jump" awake when the van goes off the bridge -- only, they don't because they're all asleep in the hotel.  Except 3rd Rock wasn't asleep -- shouldn't he have "jumped" and woken up when the van went off the bridge, leaving the others stuck in the snow fortress?

I don't think the "jump" in the van was going off the bridge, it was hitting the water. Going off the bridge gave them a time frame to go with for each subsequent dream level.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
OK, I take back my appendix comment about TDubbs.  I really want him to show up in this thread.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 23, 2010, 09:05:00 AM

The top did fall over.

Now, to my thoughts on times in dreams. This movie seemed to coincide with my theory about how time works in dreams. Mine goes a step further. I base most of my thoughts on this from one experience about 4-6 years ago. I was at my grandparents house sleeping a little during the day. Someone was carrying a box and dropped it on the ground which woke me up when it hit. Well, in my dream, I was apparently sitting against the wall, talking to someone in our high school gym. The thing that "woke" me in the dream was that a basketball hit the wall right above our heads at the same time the box hit the ground, at least it was my perception. I surmised that the box hit the ground, my mind heard the sound, and since I was in my dream, my mind created a scenario in which a dream would coincide with what happened in the world around me. This whole experience had to take milliseconds to occur.

I did read some things saying that dreams occur at the same speed as real time. So, that could contend with my theory, but I found it interesting that Inception went a similar route with time in dreams.

Also, SEAM

I don't think the "jump" in the van was going off the bridge, it was hitting the water. Going off the bridge gave them a time frame to go with for each subsequent dream level.

As I understood it, in a normal dream state, you just need a jump in the dream to wake you up. So, the jump of the van falling off the bridge would suffice.

In the highly-sedated-for-triple-dreaming state the gang was in, they needed simultaneous jumps in both level 1 (the chemist's dream - the raining city) and level 2 (Arthur's dream - the hotel). There was talk in the hotel that they "missed" the first jump - because Arthur was occupied with the hitmen, he wasn't able to set the charges to sync up with the van falling off the bridge. So he had to wait for the 2nd level 1 jump (the van hitting the water) to do the anti-gravity exploding elevator thing.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 09:17:33 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 23, 2010, 09:13:02 AM
Quote from: Yeti on July 23, 2010, 09:05:00 AM

The top did fall over.

Also, SEAM

As I understood it, in a normal dream state, you just need a jump in the dream to wake you up. So, the jump of the van falling off the bridge would suffice.

In the highly-sedated-for-triple-dreaming state the gang was in, they needed simultaneous jumps in both level 1 (the chemist's dream - the raining city) and level 2 (Arthur's dream - the hotel). There was talk in the hotel that they "missed" the first jump - because Arthur was occupied with the hitmen, he wasn't able to set the charges to sync up with the van falling off the bridge. So he had to wait for the 2nd level 1 jump (the van hitting the water) to do the anti-gravity exploding elevator thing.

So, for clarification ... even tho Arthur wasn't sedated in the hotel, he still needed a jump there AND in the van to wake up?

I can buy that. 
M'lady.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 23, 2010, 09:17:33 AMSo, for clarification ... even tho Arthur wasn't sedated in the hotel, he still needed a jump there AND in the van to wake up?

I can buy that. 

I see what you're saying now - you're right that the first jump should have worked for him, unless he was able to choose to ignore it. This kinda makes sense:

QuoteFirst off, if you remember what happened to Cobb early in the film, the kick did not take until he hit the water. Second, I'd like to think these guys — especially Arthur, Cobb and Eames — are so good they can ignore a kick if they absolutely need to do so. Third, if a kick comes during a strenuous situation such as combat where the actual dreamer is preoccupied, does that situation supersede the kick? If it is your dream do you have more control over the kick? I personally think the kick comes when the van hits the water, not when it drives off the bridge. I think people took the chair example when Eames was playing around a little too literally as a "rule." I tend to roll with earlier in the film when Cobb did not leave the dream until when in the level above his body was fully submerged into water and the kick was fully initiated.

And this was the one plot hole that bothered me:

QuoteThe only huge hole I saw in the film? How did Robert Fischer Jr. not recognize Saito, a fellow billionaire and the head honcho of a powerful rival energy company? You'd think that even three levels down in the dream he'd recognize an adversary willing to hire an international fugitive to plant an idea inside his subconscious in order to bring down his company.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
Quote from: CT III on July 23, 2010, 09:29:38 AM
http://deadspin.com/5591007/inception-was-great-now-please-stop-talking-about-it-assholes

Drew Magary does the same thing in every article he writes, and I still find it absolutely hilarious, no matter how many times I read him. 

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
Drew Magary may be the funniest motherfucker on the interwebs.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:54:37 AM »
Quote from: MAD on July 23, 2010, 09:48:49 AM

His funbags have entertained me through many a work poop.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 23, 2010, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: MAD on July 23, 2010, 09:48:49 AM

His funbags have entertained me through many a work poop.

Totally.  Now that I have my own printer I can print this stuff out and not worry about someone else beating me to the shared printer and then reporting me to HR.  I read his funbag on the throne every week now.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)