News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Mad Men - New Season  ( 40,941 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Mad Men - New Season
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Ok. I was wrong then.. After Mad Men leaves, what will AMC have aside from The Walking Dead (which is popular but not as good as BB/MM)?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 06, 2014, 03:44:29 PM
Ok. I was wrong then..

I don't think you were really wrong about anything.

Unless you were saying AMCtink isn't terrible. In which case you were wrong.

Quote from: Yeti on May 06, 2014, 03:44:29 PMAfter Mad Men leaves, what will AMC have aside from The Walking Dead (which is popular but not as good as BB/MM)?

The Walking Dead will be their only hot property remaining. Which is probably why they trying to spin it off.

So, it'll be: The Walking Dead, a Walking Dead spin-off, a Breaking Bad spin-off, and whatever random period drama shit they come up with to throw at the wall in any given season.

How about a Mad Men spin-off? The Outrageously Gay Adventures of Sal Romano?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 06, 2014, 04:27:15 PM
Ok. I was wrong then..

Quote from: Yeti on May 06, 2014, 03:44:29 PMAfter Mad Men leaves, what will AMC have aside from The Walking Dead (which is popular but not as good as BB/MM)?

The Walking Dead will be their only hot property remaining. Which is probably why they trying to spin it off.

So, it'll be: The Walking Dead, a Walking Dead spin-off, a Breaking Bad spin-off, and whatever random period drama shit they come up with to throw at the wall in any given season.

"Sally Draper Goes to College"
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 06, 2014, 04:27:15 PM
Ok. I was wrong then..

A Joanie spinoff would be too big to fail. /Chuck
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2014, 07:31:31 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 30, 2014, 12:53:49 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 28, 2014, 11:11:38 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on April 28, 2014, 08:52:48 AM
His hatred for Cutler brought out the best in him. And it looks like Don will be working for a living, something he hasn't done in years. I can't wait to see if he can adapt just because he has to, or if he really has anything left in the tank.

It'll be interesting to see him navigate that trap. Could have taken a buyout, or that other job offer. Or just refused and continued drawing a salary for doing nothing. But clearly Don needs that firm. So, instead, he'll be walking on eggshells and risking it allâ„¢ while reporting to a guy they've done a great job of setting up as a miserable, uncreative, perfectly adequate, anti-social asshole.

I had to fast-forward all the Betty scenes due to the late hour (after Rockets/Blazers OT) and a lack of fucks given. What's her deal? She doesn't have a purpose in life, her kids hate her and her husband treats her like a child?

Betty's still the worst. She let what could have been a perfect day with an apparently adoring kid be "ruined" by that kid doing a dumb thing that kids do (he wanted some candy). And managed to conclude from it that her kids hate her. The main point seemed to be that she's a self-pitying headcase who knows how to hold a bitter grudge against her own kids. Which is nothing terribly new.

There was an odd jump cut during all of that, though, where Don throws an envelope down on the table and it cuts to Bobby throwing down a picnic blanket at the farm. Is there supposed to be some sort of parallel drawn between Don and Bobby?

Or is that just Mad Men doing its Mad Men thing, where empty, meaningless moments are made to seem vaguely pregnant with drama (with FILMMAKING!) but never actually resolve to anything whatsoever?

I should have watched those scenes. It's well-traveled territory that Don's personal problems stem largely from the treatment he received from his step-mother. Those scenes probably suggest that Betty is getting closer to being like the woman who sparked his misogyny in the beginning. And we look at that and say, "Betty is the worst." But we know she's not. Don's mom was the worst. And Don did nothing but shit all over Betty so if she had any hope of not being the worst it didn't come from him. What will happen to Bobby and Gene? Will they end up like Don? Sort of, I bet.
Also because the teacher was super hot.

And Betty hated her bra-less cans.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on May 07, 2014, 07:31:31 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on April 30, 2014, 12:53:49 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 28, 2014, 11:11:38 AM
His hatred for Cutler brought out the best in him. And it looks like Don will be working for a living, something he hasn't done in years. I can't wait to see if he can adapt just because he has to, or if he really has anything left in the tank.

It'll be interesting to see him navigate that trap. Could have taken a buyout, or that other job offer. Or just refused and continued drawing a salary for doing nothing. But clearly Don needs that firm. So, instead, he'll be walking on eggshells and risking it allâ„¢ while reporting to a guy they've done a great job of setting up as a miserable, uncreative, perfectly adequate, anti-social asshole.

I had to fast-forward all the Betty scenes due to the late hour (after Rockets/Blazers OT) and a lack of fucks given. What's her deal? She doesn't have a purpose in life, her kids hate her and her husband treats her like a child?

Betty's still the worst. She let what could have been a perfect day with an apparently adoring kid be "ruined" by that kid doing a dumb thing that kids do (he wanted some candy). And managed to conclude from it that her kids hate her. The main point seemed to be that she's a self-pitying headcase who knows how to hold a bitter grudge against her own kids. Which is nothing terribly new.

There was an odd jump cut during all of that, though, where Don throws an envelope down on the table and it cuts to Bobby throwing down a picnic blanket at the farm. Is there supposed to be some sort of parallel drawn between Don and Bobby?

Or is that just Mad Men doing its Mad Men thing, where empty, meaningless moments are made to seem vaguely pregnant with drama (with FILMMAKING!) but never actually resolve to anything whatsoever?

I should have watched those scenes. It's well-traveled territory that Don's personal problems stem largely from the treatment he received from his step-mother. Those scenes probably suggest that Betty is getting closer to being like the woman who sparked his misogyny in the beginning. And we look at that and say, "Betty is the worst." But we know she's not. Don's mom was the worst. And Don did nothing but shit all over Betty so if she had any hope of not being the worst it didn't come from him. What will happen to Bobby and Gene? Will they end up like Don? Sort of, I bet.
Also because the teacher was super hot.

And Betty hated her bra-less cans.

The proverbial farmer's daughter.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2014, 09:29:38 AM »
No complaints here.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 12, 2014, 09:29:38 AM
No complaints here.

Two guys kissed during NFL Draft coverage.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: May 12, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 12, 2014, 10:50:35 AM
No complaints here.

You & Rah Rah?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
Quote from: Fork on May 12, 2014, 11:27:48 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 12, 2014, 10:50:35 AM
No complaints here.

You & Rah Rah?

I can only hope for these things.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
"He's crawling all over the place. You really gotta keep an eye on him."

[beat]

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 18, 2014, 10:19:20 PM

[beat]

It really doesn't get any better than a Ken Cosgrove eye joke. So are we to assume at this point that the eyepatch is permanent and not just a temporary necessity? I hope we get a flash forward in the finale to 2000s Grandpa Ken whipping an errant football at his grandson.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 19, 2014, 10:05:19 PM

[beat]

It really doesn't get any better than a Ken Cosgrove eye joke. So are we to assume at this point that the eyepatch is permanent and not just a temporary necessity? I hope we get a flash forward in the finale to 2000s Grandpa Ken whipping an errant football at his grandson.

Didn't he get Cheney'd in the face by one of the Detroit guys? I have to assume the eye is lost.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2014, 09:41:24 AM »
Quote from: Bort on May 20, 2014, 07:24:00 AM
Quote from: R-V on May 19, 2014, 10:05:19 PM

[beat]

Didn't he get Cheney'd in the face by one of the Detroit guys? I have to assume the eye is lost.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: May 20, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
Also: Anytime a guy like Harry Crane is available for partner, you gotta get that partner.