News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Death Heard 'Round the World  ( 1,681 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
The Death Heard 'Round the World
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Bobby Thomson dead at 86.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: The Death Heard 'Round the World
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
How about "The Plot Heard 'Round the World"?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on August 17, 2010, 02:44:41 PM
How about "The Plot Heard 'Round the World"?

Intrepid Reader: PenFoe

Clever.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »
How about "Willie Mays is on deck"?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 17, 2010, 04:57:20 PM
Depends. Is the intent to make a thread title so unfunny my dad would be ashamed to share it?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 17, 2010, 05:16:41 PM
Depends. Is the intent to make a thread title so unfunny my dad would be ashamed to share it?

What a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day for Fork.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:25 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on August 17, 2010, 06:43:27 PM
Quote from: Bort on August 17, 2010, 05:16:41 PM

What a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day for Fork.

On the bright side, I found the elusive line.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:06 AM »

True story.

Back in the 80s, I used to buy/sell baseball cards, and related stuff. I would occasionally run my own show at the Holiday Inn on Staten Island (now the Staten Island Hotel).

Anyway, I was small potatoes, and if I wanted to have anyone for a meet-and-greet/signing, it couldn't exactly be Joe Dimaggio (who used to get $100K for a weekend).

So I wind up meeting Max Zaslofsky (another great Jewish athlete for you, Stew) who is also in the business, and handled bookings for local guys, so for a few hundred bucks I could get a Johnny Kucks or Bobby Shantz.

So one time I'm putting a show together, and Max tells me I can have Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca together. They won't cost much, as long as I hang a Manhattan Special banner behind the table. Thomson lived on Staten Island and Branca lived in Brooklyn, so I didn't even have to put them up in the hotel.

They show up, and they're both very cool, real gentlemen. They had become good friends over the years, and Branca's feelings were that Thomson had beaten him fair & square...Thomson joked that by hitting the HR with Mays on deck, he deprived Mays of being famous...also by getting hurt, he had given Hank Aaron his break in Milwaukee, and otherwise you'd never have heard of him. A great day with two guys telling awesome baseball stories all day.

A few years back, when the story broke that the Giants had been stealing signs, Branca stopped speaking to Thomson for a while. Looks like they made peace. That's good.
TIME TO POST!

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 07:35:07 AM »
Quote from: Fork on August 18, 2010, 07:25:06 AM

True story.

Back in the 80s, I used to buy/sell baseball cards, and related stuff. I would occasionally run my own show at the Holiday Inn on Staten Island (now the Staten Island Hotel).

Anyway, I was small potatoes, and if I wanted to have anyone for a meet-and-greet/signing, it couldn't exactly be Joe Dimaggio (who used to get $100K for a weekend).

So I wind up meeting Max Zaslofsky (another great Jewish athlete for you, Stew) who is also in the business, and handled bookings for local guys, so for a few hundred bucks I could get a Johnny Kucks or Bobby Shantz.

So one time I'm putting a show together, and Max tells me I can have Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca together. They won't cost much, as long as I hang a Manhattan Special banner behind the table. Thomson lived on Staten Island and Branca lived in Brooklyn, so I didn't even have to put them up in the hotel.

They show up, and they're both very cool, real gentlemen. They had become good friends over the years, and Branca's feelings were that Thomson had beaten him fair & square...Thomson joked that by hitting the HR with Mays on deck, he deprived Mays of being famous...also by getting hurt, he had given Hank Aaron his break in Milwaukee, and otherwise you'd never have heard of him. A great day with two guys telling awesome baseball stories all day.

A few years back, when the story broke that the Giants had been stealing signs, Branca stopped speaking to Thomson for a while. Looks like they made peace. That's good.
I was a complete tool even back in the olden days

Save us some time'd
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 07:45:44 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 18, 2010, 07:35:07 AM
Quote from: Fork on August 18, 2010, 07:25:06 AM

True story.

I was a complete tool even back in the olden days

Save us some time'd

Next time I want shit from you I'll pop the top off your head and scoop it out.
TIME TO POST!