News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2nd Raiders kicker to choke this week...  ( 4,537 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2nd Raiders kicker to choke this week...
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 28, 2010, 09:03:11 AM
The tribute to Blanda last night was lame and half-assed.  I known it was short notice, but I think one of those inbred McCaskeys (Maybe George, the branch of the family that's mostly retarded as they see to run football things) that's in charge of what passes for Marketing for that franchise was too busy with their superawesome "4th Phase" campaign to clip together something for a guy who--while not a Hall fo Famer while playing for the Bears--did play a decade and in a  Championship Game for them.

I could have sworn they interrupted the Blanda stuff with a quick story about Favre because, you know, he used to play for the Packers three years ago.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »
The tribute to Blanda last night was lame and half-assed.  I known it was short notice, but I think one of those inbred McCaskeys (Maybe George, the branch of the family that's mostly retarded as they see to run football things) that's in charge of what passes for Marketing for that franchise was too busy with their superawesome "4th Phase" campaign to clip together something for a guy who--while not a Hall fo Famer while playing for the Bears--did play a decade and in a  Championship Game for them.

Yeah except they hate him and he hated George Halas with the white-hot passion of a 1,000 burning suns because he felt like Halas wasted the best 10 years of football he could have played by insisting that he was a kicker rather than a quarterback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blanda#Chicago_Bears :

QuoteBlanda was signed by the Chicago Bears for $600 in 1949, an amount owner George Halas demanded back when he made the team. While primarily used as a quarterback and placekicker, Blanda also saw time on the defensive side of the ball at linebacker. It would not be until 1953 that Blanda would emerge as the Bears' top signal caller, but an injury the following year effectively ended his first-string status. For the next four years, he was used mostly in a kicking capacity. Later commenting on his testy relationship with Halas, Blanda noted, "he was too cheap to even buy me a kicking shoe." Blanda later reflected that by the 1950s the pro game had moved beyond Halas, who seemed to lack the interest he had earlier.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2010, 09:16:02 AM

Yeah except they hate him and he hated George Halas with the white-hot passion of a 1,000 burning suns because he felt like Halas wasted the best 10 years of football he could have played by insisting that he was a kicker rather than a quarterback.

QuoteBlanda was signed by the Chicago Bears for $600 in 1949, an amount owner George Halas demanded back when he made the team. While primarily used as a quarterback and placekicker, Blanda also saw time on the defensive side of the ball at linebacker. It would not be until 1953 that Blanda would emerge as the Bears' top signal caller, but an injury the following year effectively ended his first-string status. For the next four years, he was used mostly in a kicking capacity. Later commenting on his testy relationship with Halas, Blanda noted, "he was too cheap to even buy me a kicking shoe." Blanda later reflected that by the 1950s the pro game had moved beyond Halas, who seemed to lack the interest he had earlier.

Halas had it out with everybody.  George Allen, Ditka..even Butkus, the homegrown kid who grew up in the shadow of Halas' legacy, who stayed in the state and went to Hallas' U of I, and still got shit on and had to sue Hallas for his miserly ways and treatment of his players, so Blanda's tiff is nothing new.  I don't even think Halas' window-licking grandchildren know any of this anyway.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 28, 2010, 09:34:57 AM

Halas had it out with everybody.  George Allen, Ditka..even Butkus, the homegrown kid who grew up in the shadow of Halas' legacy, who stayed in the state and went to Hallas' U of I, and still got shit on and had to sue Hallas for his miserly ways and treatment of his players, so Blanda's tiff is nothing new.  I don't even think Halas' window-licking grandchildren know any of this anyway.

I'm impressed with your various spellings of Halas there. Unless you're talking about two different guys. Then I'm just plum confused.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 09:59:04 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2010, 09:49:28 AM

I'm impressed with your various spellings of Halas there. Unless you're talking about two different guys. Then I'm just plum confused.

Fuck me.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 28, 2010, 09:59:04 AM

Fuck me.

I'll try and get the wife and kid to leave the house for a little bit if you can come by today. I don't have any rubbers though.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2010, 10:03:13 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 28, 2010, 09:59:04 AM

Fuck me.

I'll try and get the wife and kid to leave the house for a little bit if you can come by today. I don't have any rubbers though.

I just hate the McCaskeys.  Can we skullfuck them instead and call it a day?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »

and this is why the NFLPA exists.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »

In 1949, the Bears opened camp with Sid Luckman, Bobby Layne, George Blanda and Johnny fucking Lujack. Layne was Tommie Harris-ing it all offseason and was trying to have Halas trade him to Green Bay, but Halas sent him off to the New York Yankees of the AAFC, where he spent a year in exile before becoming a Hall of Famer in Detroit.

Luckman spent 1949 on the bench. Blanda spent 1949 on the bench. Johnny Lujack made fans pine for the Bob Avellini era, which was only 25 years or so away.

Nice choice, George.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 28, 2010, 04:14:23 PM

In 1949, the Bears opened camp with Sid Luckman, Bobby Layne, George Blanda and Johnny fucking Lujack. Layne was Tommie Harris-ing it all offseason and was trying to have Halas trade him to Green Bay, but Halas sent him off to the New York Yankees of the AAFC, where he spent a year in exile before becoming a Hall of Famer in Detroit.

Luckman spent 1949 on the bench. Blanda spent 1949 on the bench. Johnny Lujack made fans pine for the Bob Avellini era, which was only 25 years or so away.

Nice choice, George.

Like Dave Wannstetd, Halas was a bit too in love with players from Notre Dame.  Lujack turned out to be nowhere near the QB in the pros that he had been in South Bend, but seemed like the logical pick for a fanbase that contained many subway alumni.  Bobby Layne is "the one who got away" there.  Blanda was not particularly terrific with the Bears, and probably benefitted more than anybody else from the AFL, but there shoudl still be a movie made about his 1970 season.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »

Nice choice, George.

Lujack had a pretty good stretch in 48 and 49. He was actually a Pro Bowler in 1950 despite a 4 TDs and 21 INTs since he had 11 rushing TDs, I guess. Man, football must have sucked back in Stew's day. Adjusted for era, his QB rating+ is 108 (100 is average), so while the worst out of the Luckman-Jujack-Layne trio, he was better than  Blanda (rate+ of 100) and I'm probably a better QB than Bob Avellini was (88 rate+)
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 07:28:34 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 28, 2010, 04:24:24 PM

Nice choice, George.

Like Dave Wannstetd, Halas was a bit too in love with players from Notre Dame.  Lujack turned out to be nowhere near the QB in the pros that he had been in South Bend, but seemed like the logical pick for a fanbase that contained many subway alumni.  Bobby Layne is "the one who got away" there.  Blanda was not particularly terrific with the Bears, and probably benefitted more than anybody else from the AFL, but there shoudl still be a movie made about his 1970 season.

Intrepid Reader: John Hadl
Hi.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16