News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Walking Dead  ( 55,008 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #375 on: October 20, 2014, 02:06:38 AM »
Carl's fraternal exuberance was also an exercise in credulity.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 15, 2014, 12:12:29 PM
I love that there's a link to an article about fan speculation on who dies with a SPOILER warning.

"DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT SOME NERD BELIEVES MIGHT HAPPEN."

Some nerd writing for a Falun Gong house organ.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: October 21, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
I think they laid it on way too thick with Bob being super positive in the first 3/4 of the episode. I kept saying "Bob's gonna die". No, it turned out to be worse than that for ol' Bob.

Maybe that's just how tv is. Or maybe that was just bad writing.

Another example of irritating writing is the character who leads the cannibals. He talks too much. And he's very smug in a "the villain describes his plot in great, sarcastic detail for no reason other than to get the viewer to hate him" way. I look forward to Rick killing him.

Bad Bob writing aside, the episode was good enough and I think I'm happy with where the show is going.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: October 21, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2014, 09:24:49 AM
I think they laid it on way too thick with Bob being super positive in the first 3/4 of the episode. I kept saying "Bob's gonna die". No, it turned out to be worse than that for ol' Bob.

Another example of irritating writing is the character who leads the cannibals. He talks too much. And he's very smug in a "the villain describes his plot in great, sarcastic detail for no reason other than to get the viewer to hate him" way. I look forward to Rick killing him.

Bad Bob writing aside, the episode was good enough and I think I'm happy with where the show is going.

I thought they were going to reveal that Bob had been bitten and the reason he left the church was to blow his brains out. Looking back, I'm guessing Bob would prefer that to having his leg eaten in front of him.

Speaking of writing, I'm sure Bob was in shock a bit but how did he not wake up screaming "HOLY FUCK MY LEG HURTS DID SOMEBODY CUT IT OFF OH SHIT THEY DID!! AAAGGRRGH! YOU GUYS ARE EATING MY LEG!!" Obviously they wanted the shock value of the slow zoom out to reveal his missing wheel, but dammit they've gone a bridge too far and now I'm starting to question the realism of this show.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: October 21, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2014, 09:29:30 AM

I thought they were going to reveal that Bob had been bitten and the reason he left the church was to blow his brains out. Looking back, I'm guessing Bob would prefer that to having his leg eaten in front of him.

Speaking of writing, I'm sure Bob was in shock a bit but how did he not wake up screaming "HOLY FUCK MY LEG HURTS DID SOMEBODY CUT IT OFF OH SHIT THEY DID!! AAAGGRRGH! YOU GUYS ARE EATING MY LEG!!" Obviously they wanted the shock value of the slow zoom out to reveal his missing wheel, but dammit they've gone a bridge too far and now I'm starting to question the realism of this show.

At least they stole this storyline from a really good book.
But I don't think the sheer horror of the cannibal scenes as written in "The Road" would translate comfortably to your average AMC "Zombies are Fung!" viewer.

The show has definitely improved though just by eliminating the more annoying characters and focusing on the zombies are just zombies but we're living in a lawless society and humans are really just animals and that is what our little band must deal with. At least at this point without the overly wrought out dealings with and scenery chewing of the Governor plot line.

Man, I waste too much time thinking about this show.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
Quote from: flannj on October 21, 2014, 10:00:51 AM

But I don't think the sheer horror of the cannibal scenes as written in "The Road" would translate comfortably to your average AMC "Zombies are Fung!" viewer.

The show has definitely improved though just by eliminating the more annoying characters and focusing on the zombies are just zombies but we're living in a lawless society and humans are really just animals and that is what our little band must deal with. At least at this point without the overly wrought out dealings with and scenery chewing of the Governor plot line.

RV is right - I thought the same thing. That Bob was bit and was just enjoying one last moment before he knew he'd have to kill himself to avoid turning. Instead I guess he was just quite clearly going outside to have a cry since he had been suppressing his very seriously sad thoughts with outward bullshit optimism? Lot of good that did. The lesson is never try.

Anyway, maybe they have to save Bob to refill the one legged character quota voided by Herschel's death.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: October 21, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2014, 10:07:03 AM

RV is right - I thought the same thing. That Bob was bit and was just enjoying one last moment before he knew he'd have to kill himself to avoid turning. Instead I guess he was just quite clearly going outside to have a cry since he had been suppressing his very seriously sad thoughts with outward bullshit optimism? Lot of good that did. The lesson is never try.

Anyway, maybe they have to save Bob to refill the one legged character quota voided by Herschel's death.

I actually took this as well-deserved karmic retribution for his lame-brained "Washington's gonna happen" pitch.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: October 22, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 21, 2014, 10:43:50 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2014, 10:07:03 AM

I actually took this as well-deserved karmic retribution for his lame-brained "Washington's gonna happen" pitch.

As soon as he said it you knew he was fucked.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: November 10, 2014, 12:42:53 AM »
It's kind of sad that somebody thought Blind Willie Johnson was cleverly obscure in episode 4. (Not Sam Charters again.)

Really bad choice for a musical lull in the Supreme Sacrament, BTW.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: November 18, 2014, 12:38:09 AM »
In other news, there remains that whole Reff ≪ 1 thing. I could scarcely follow the first 10 minutes of "Consumed."

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2014, 03:33:46 AM »
So far, the most notable thing about the midseason finale that I've found is that the climax depends almost exclusively on camera angles that are rotated 25° to try to conjure dramatic effect.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: February 10, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »
All I can say about the midseason revivification is... holy fuck, I never would have imagined that these dimwits would take it into their heads to shit all over American Werewolf.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 10, 2015, 06:18:24 AM
All I can say about the midseason revivification is... holy fuck, I never would have imagined that these dimwits would take it into their heads to shit all over American Werewolf.

It was not good

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: November 30, 2015, 05:59:04 AM »
I will note that they did eventually get around to Obama's dong.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »
Why do I still do this show?