News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Walking Dead  ( 55,331 )

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55:06 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on November 24, 2010, 07:17:36 PM
Okay, I'm going to say it.  The production value is awesome, the special effects are awesome, zombies are awesome, and the past episode was definitely the best episode yet.  The sister's reaction to her sister's death felt very real (though I'm not quite sure why she didn't turn into a zombie).

But...

They're not really breaking new ground in the zombie genre, are they?  This is just going to end up being a XX-hour, conventional zombie movie, right?  I feel like this show is getting WAY over-praised.

I haven't seen it, but I'm inclined to agree with you.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2010, 10:13:37 AM »
Okay, I'm going to say it.  The production value is awesome, the special effects are awesome, zombies are awesome, and the past episode was definitely the best episode yet.  The sister's reaction to her sister's death felt very real (though I'm not quite sure why she didn't turn into a zombie).

But...

They're not really breaking new ground in the zombie genre, are they?  This is just going to end up being a XX-hour, conventional zombie movie, right?  I feel like this show is getting WAY over-praised.

I think in some ways they are, because the focus is less on the actual zombies and more on how people live (live, not just survive) in a world where all values and all comfortable expectations have been suddenly thrown out the window. I mean, yeah, it's not like they're showing what it would be like if a zombie was elected president or a zombie outbreak on a spaceship, but it's definitely taking things a few steps beyond the pointed social satire of Romero or the insane, illogical gorefests of Fulci.

I think the sister is going to "turn" next episode, and I assume Andrea is going to have to either "kill" her herself or be restrained as someone else does it.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »
Quote from: Bort on November 25, 2010, 10:13:37 AM

But...

I think in some ways they are, because the focus is less on the actual zombies and more on how people live (live, not just survive) in a world where all values and all comfortable expectations have been suddenly thrown out the window. I mean, yeah, it's not like they're showing what it would be like if a zombie was elected president or a zombie outbreak on a spaceship, but it's definitely taking things a few steps beyond the pointed social satire of Romero or the insane, illogical gorefests of Fulci.

I think the sister is going to "turn" next episode, and I assume Andrea is going to have to either "kill" her herself or be restrained as someone else does it.

You'd think they'd be smart enough to cremate the body or something similar but the idea here is that rationality goes out the window when you watch a loved one bleed out from a zombie bite. Those more removed from the situation would probably have to try and reason with her about what to do with her sister's remains but I think you've got the right idea. This is, after all, a TV show and the logical choice doesn't make for the most entertaining.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 25, 2010, 10:13:37 AM

But...

More of THI, please.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2010, 08:59:31 AM »
Something witty about the CDC guy being similar to Desmond from Lost.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
My wife and I were discussing how they're going about "killing" the walkers.  From what I gather about the show, they can't really be killed right?  I mean, they get baseball batted to the head and lay dormant for weeks, then start crawling and walking again.  I did hear Merle's brother say something about "the brain" and "don't you know nothing?" when he shot one of the walkers in the eye with his crossbow.  Does that (getting shot, crossbowed, baseball batted, tomahawked to the head) kill them for good?

I NEED ANSWERS
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 29, 2010, 09:22:39 AM
My wife and I were discussing how they're going about "killing" the walkers.  From what I gather about the show, they can't really be killed right?  I mean, they get baseball batted to the head and lay dormant for weeks, then start crawling and walking again.  I did hear Merle's brother say something about "the brain" and "don't you know nothing?" when he shot one of the walkers in the eye with his crossbow.  Does that (getting shot, crossbowed, baseball batted, tomahawked to the head) kill them for good?

I NEED ANSWERS

Have you never heard of a zombie before?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on November 29, 2010, 09:27:47 AM

I NEED ANSWERS

Where IAN is from, they just get the Voodoo ones.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
Quote from: Bort on November 29, 2010, 09:33:41 AM

I NEED ANSWERS

The Horror.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2010, 10:59:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 29, 2010, 10:43:09 AM
Quote from: Bort on November 29, 2010, 09:33:41 AM

I NEED ANSWERS

The Horror.

Barry Bostwick as "Hummel"... Production Designer: Michael Bolton
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 29, 2010, 08:59:31 AM
Something witty about the CDC guy being similar to Desmond from Lost.

Love that twist. At first I wasn't sure if the show had come back from commercial or not. It was jarringly different than anything they'd shown up until this point.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 11:34:48 AM »

I NEED ANSWERS

Of course, but I never watched much of anything about them up until now.  I didn't now rules for zombies in one movie/TV show were universal to all zombies in all movie/TV shows.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 29, 2010, 11:34:48 AM

I NEED ANSWERS

Of course, but I never watched much of anything about them up until now.  I didn't now rules for zombies in one movie/TV show were universal to all zombies in all movie/TV shows.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
Now hang on a second - don't they burn the walking dead in this show? I remember the Asian kid said we don't burn our own.

Hmm.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 29, 2010, 11:51:41 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 29, 2010, 11:34:48 AM

I NEED ANSWERS

Well, I'll be damn.