News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Walking Dead  ( 55,221 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 21, 2012, 10:29:34 AM
Quote from: morpheus on February 20, 2012, 03:44:26 PM
Quote from: Slaky on February 19, 2012, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: R-V on February 19, 2012, 10:22:03 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 13, 2012, 10:42:27 AM
Not to diminish Michael Raymond-James, but the fact that he can walk into this show for a ten-minute stint and utterly fucking own it suggests to me that maybe the biggest problem with this show is actually the cast.

Now that I'm thinking about it, all of the actors, aside from maybe Norman Reedus, seem pretty one-note. And that could pose some problems when it comes to rich characterization.

Maybe the writers' biggest problem is not recognizing their actors' limitations.

I'm pretty sure my 3 favorite characters on this show (other than Daryl) were:

1. Dude from Terriers from the bar scene
2. Scientist at the CDC
3. Black dude who was holed up in his house with his kid in the pilot

All of them were either killed off immediately or haven't been seen since the pilot. Contrast that with Lost, where when the writers saw what they had in the Ben Linus character, scrapped their plans to kill him off and decided to keep him in the show. Boourns.

I'd really like to talk about Justified because it's so goddamn good but I'm like 3 episodes behind so I'll just have a quick sad instead of clicking on that thread.

Can't wait to see the fallout from the car accident tonight. 44 minutes of mourning over the baby that never was and Herschel and Rick squabbling over how or if they should let them stay at the farm until she heals from her injuries while Shane stews in the background and probably makes fun of Dale for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, off in the distance where there are no cameras, zombies do cool shit.

Ha, they sure showed you.  They brought in Damian from Rescue Me to almost get them all killed as they weighed the moral implications of helping other non-zombies.

I thought this episode was less bad than previous ones. I just watched it last night so bear with me. Did everyone quit on this? I'm surprised no one else had anything to say.

I think Rick getting pissed off is definitely a good thing but I'm annoyed that Lori is playing him like a fiddle. I don't think there's any doubt she hates herself for having fallen for Shane and the fact that she won't admit to him that it was real for a time is what's making this division so irreparable.

That said, THIS STORYLINE IS FUCKING BULLSHIT AND IT'S SOAP OPERA SHIT THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A HORROR SHOW AND NOW IT'S ALL MY CHILDREN ON A FUCKING FARM.

Anyway, the firefight was cool and the zombie tearing it's face skin off trying to eat Lori was bad ass. Too bad he failed. Nice to see her flip her car and not sustain any injuries and everyone just assumes the baby is fine. Not one person asked, "Hey, you were in a car accident don't you think it's possible that you might have lost the baby?" Nope.

And yeah, Rick trying to save that dipshit from the fence was retarded. And Glenn's even turning into a sopping wet pussy.

What is all this love shit?

I hate every single character in this show.

Shane is still good.  HE DOES WHAT NEEDS TO GET DONE, YOU STUPID CHIEF!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
Did I miss the explanation for why the farmhouse has electricity?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 25, 2012, 11:38:10 PM

"Generators.  Now stop asking questions."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
Quote from: Bort on February 26, 2012, 09:46:01 AM

Or from where they're getting the gasoline?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 26, 2012, 07:02:47 PM

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get an entire episode this season on the operation of the farm's generators. I'm sure it's quite fascinating.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 26, 2012, 07:07:52 PM

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get an entire episode this season on the operation of the farm's generators. I'm sure it's quite fascinating.

Episode? That's a story arc, man. What would happen if the secondary generator for running the pump from the storage tanks to the main generator gives out? They have to send Shane into dangerous territory with a hapless companion to get another one, that's what.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 26, 2012, 07:12:55 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 26, 2012, 07:07:52 PM

Episode? That's a story arc, man. What would happen if the secondary generator for running the pump from the storage tanks to the main generator gives out? They have to send Shane into dangerous territory with a hapless companion to get another one, that's what.

Wheezer's on to something. Judging from the previews, it looks like we've got another 46 episodes until they figure out what to do with the kid. That's this show for you. Take an inconsequential event and turn it into a two month storyline.

I thought this episode was actually decent when you had the confrontation with the walkers but when you consider why they were there in the first place the wind is sucked right out of the whole thing. Then you've got Rick and Shane beating each other up for an endless amount of time like Tom and fucking Jerry. What was the goal there? Nothing was resolved. Even with Rick's "heroic" change of heart to come back and save Shane it's obvious Shane still wants to control the group and yet he's still too big of a pussy to leave because of Stick Lady and Carl so nothing - literally nothing - was accomplished.

So the next episode is going to be all about what to do with the kid. Just like this one. And the one before that.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
What are the writers from Lost, Terriers and Rubicon up to these days? If they killed off every character (OK, maybe keep Daryl) and hired all new writers from good shows, this show could be pretty good.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2012, 04:37:21 AM »
So glad they finally killed that annoying asshole.  Fuck it's about time.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 28, 2012, 12:04:19 PM
What are the writers from Lost, Terriers and Rubicon up to these days? If they killed off every character (OK, maybe keep Daryl) and hired all new writers from good shows, this show could be pretty good.

Funny thing... The writer of last night's episode (plus the episode earlier this season in which Angela jumps Shane's bohunk bone) was also a staff writer on Terriers, writing two episodes (she wrote the episode in which Hank and Britt track down the cancer woman's "stolen" ring and co-wrote the second to last episode, where the guy who looks like John-Boy Walton gets killed).

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 05, 2012, 04:37:21 AM

Yes, now maybe something will actually get done. I mentioned to my wife that this show has such endless possibilities as far as the things they can explore within this new world. Whether it's finding out how other cities/towns are handling the crisis to finding a larger settlement to ANYTHING.

Instead they're exploring the breakdown of humanity when placed in group like a zombified Lord of the Flies. It's interesting at times and I get it, I really do. But 99% of me is just holding out hope that next season they finally use that budget money to hire some great writers and build some fantastic sets to take this show where it really needs to go.

Though I should probably just hang my head and resign myself to the fact that this is what The Walking Dead is. It's LOST with every single character as Kate.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 05, 2012, 11:46:48 AM
Though I should probably just hang my head and resign myself to the fact that this is what The Walking Dead is. It's LOST with every single character as Kate.

Holy shit, this.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »
On the bright side, this has inspired me to read back through all of the AV Club's Terriers recaps today.

What an amazing fucking show.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »

Yes, now maybe something will actually get done. I mentioned to my wife that this show has such endless possibilities as far as the things they can explore within this new world. Whether it's finding out how other cities/towns are handling the crisis to finding a larger settlement to ANYTHING.

Instead they're exploring the breakdown of humanity when placed in group like a zombified Lord of the Flies. It's interesting at times and I get it, I really do. But 99% of me is just holding out hope that next season they finally use that budget money to hire some great writers and build some fantastic sets to take this show where it really needs to go.

With Dale out of the picture we're one step closer to getting rid of every last terrible character on this show. What a painful hour of television.

Dale talks to everyone (except T-Dog of course. Apparently the zombies took the right to vote away from black dudes) in advance of THE BIG VOTE. But (a) they're never really clear if it's a vote or simply a discussion. Then they don't take a vote. Then the entire discussion is rendered pointless because regardless of what the group decides it's all up to Noble Rick in the end anyway.

I did get a kick out of Dale's death being Carl's fault. Carl is such a dipshit.

I wish to the zombie gods that they would take this show in the direction everyone who is not a dipshit can see they should take it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2012, 10:01:39 PM

With Dale out of the picture we're one step closer to getting rid of every last terrible character on this show. What a painful hour of television.

Dale talks to everyone (except T-Dog of course. Apparently the zombies took the right to vote away from black dudes) in advance of THE BIG VOTE. But (a) they're never really clear if it's a vote or simply a discussion. Then they don't take a vote. Then the entire discussion is rendered pointless because regardless of what the group decides it's all up to Noble Rick in the end anyway.

I did get a kick out of Dale's death being Carl's fault. Carl is such a dipshit.

I wish to the zombie gods that they would take this show in the direction everyone who is not a dipshit can see they should take it.

Just go back to a neighborhood or a city. SOMETHING. For FUCKS SAKE.