News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ryne Sandberg Suicide watch  ( 32,091 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ryne Sandberg Suicide watch
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2014, 02:07:32 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 04, 2014, 02:01:46 PM
Let's put together $30,000 to have Ryno speak at a Desipio outing.  Stories will be told, tears will be shed, hugs will be shirtless.

That would be $5,000 per word!

Was that a thing when you both were at National City? Banker Chuck Gitles will talk baseball followed by Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg who will say all the things Chuck got right."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »
Let's put together $30,000 to have Ryno speak at a Desipio outing.  Stories will be told, tears will be shed, hugs will be shirtless.

We could get George Hutchins for airfare and dinner.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 04, 2014, 02:27:34 PM

Was that a thing when you both were at National City? Banker Chuck Gitles will talk baseball followed by Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg who will say all the things Chuck got right."

Ryne and I didn't last long together. About a year after he came on board, I bolted for AMCORE Bank. 5 years after that, both Nat City and AMCORE failed. Looks like one thing I got right was not sticking with a company that would pay Ryno to be a spokesman.

Nat City's IL head honcho was a major Cubs fanboy. Got me to have lunch with Ron Santo, tho.  Pretty sure he signed Ryno just to be able to spend time with him.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 04, 2014, 01:22:35 PM
Quote from: PANK! on September 04, 2014, 09:35:28 AM
Quote from: Brownie on September 03, 2014, 05:51:22 PM
Well, who would like to argue that RYNO SHOULD BE THE CUBS MANAGER!?!?!

Let's see..

He's feuded with Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard, and now a few more high-profile clashes this month, and people think he's lost control of the clubhouse.

QuoteThe most recent stretch of conflicts, however, could be setting off more episodes and spreading discontent throughout the roster.

The first event this month occurred Aug. 16 when Kyle Kendrick stormed off the field, leaving before Sandberg reached the mound to remove him. Kendrick apologized the next day to Sandberg but the damage had already been done.

David Buchanan followed suit Aug. 23 by saying he wasn't happy with getting pulled from that night's game in the fifth inning.

The same evening, Domonic Brown took a passive-aggressive shot at his manager by saying after a miscue in left field that it's hard to play in his role coming off the bench.

Finally, Cole Hamels left Tuesday night's game after allowing a home run to the only batter he faced in the eighth and was visibly upset coming off the mound. He avoided questions in his postgame interview about the incident and when he was asked to clarify, he prematurely ended the interview.

They compare Ryne to Chip Kelly.

There have been suggestions that someone else is filling out the lineup card.

And, oh, the vote of confidence from Pat Gillick.

He'll be hanging out in Chicago (not employed by a baseball team), renewing all his old endorsement deals by this time next year.

Ryno didn't do hardly any endorsement.

He was like the anti-'85 Bear when he played here.

[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Bases_Loaded_3_box_art.jpg]

His 2005-2010 honeymoon had some $$...

There was his stint with National City, which continued after it became PNC.    (Speaking of National City Bank, marketing and the Internet...)

And, of course after watching this and this, you had to come away thinking this is indeed managerial material and RCN is the cable provider for you!

There's a potential Friskies endorsement out there.

Also, you can hire Ryno to motivate your team or speak at your next event!

Hmm, the fees seem to vary, but this site suggests that not having Ryne Sandberg endorse your product is a monumental mistake!

Quote from: http://athletes-celebrities.tseworld.com/sports/baseball/ryne-sandberg.phpA Ryne Sandberg endorsement will have a far reaching effect that will hit this generation as well as the previous generation and the generation to come. Always one to play with passion and heart, Sandberg's 10 successive All-Star appearances are an endorsement to the type of ball player he is. His number 23 was only the fourth Cub number ever retired, which says a lot considering how storied the Chicago Cubs franchise is.

Yeah, but how many of those stories actually involve competent ballplayers?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 04, 2014, 01:22:35 PM
Quote from: PANK! on September 04, 2014, 09:35:28 AM
Quote from: Brownie on September 03, 2014, 05:51:22 PM
Well, who would like to argue that RYNO SHOULD BE THE CUBS MANAGER!?!?!

Let's see..

He's feuded with Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard, and now a few more high-profile clashes this month, and people think he's lost control of the clubhouse.

QuoteThe most recent stretch of conflicts, however, could be setting off more episodes and spreading discontent throughout the roster.

The first event this month occurred Aug. 16 when Kyle Kendrick stormed off the field, leaving before Sandberg reached the mound to remove him. Kendrick apologized the next day to Sandberg but the damage had already been done.

David Buchanan followed suit Aug. 23 by saying he wasn't happy with getting pulled from that night's game in the fifth inning.

The same evening, Domonic Brown took a passive-aggressive shot at his manager by saying after a miscue in left field that it's hard to play in his role coming off the bench.

Finally, Cole Hamels left Tuesday night's game after allowing a home run to the only batter he faced in the eighth and was visibly upset coming off the mound. He avoided questions in his postgame interview about the incident and when he was asked to clarify, he prematurely ended the interview.

They compare Ryne to Chip Kelly.

There have been suggestions that someone else is filling out the lineup card.

And, oh, the vote of confidence from Pat Gillick.

He'll be hanging out in Chicago (not employed by a baseball team), renewing all his old endorsement deals by this time next year.

Ryno didn't do hardly any endorsement.

He was like the anti-'85 Bear when he played here.

[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Bases_Loaded_3_box_art.jpg]

His 2005-2010 honeymoon had some $$...

There was his stint with National City, which continued after it became PNC.    (Speaking of National City Bank, marketing and the Internet...)

And, of course after watching this and this, you had to come away thinking this is indeed managerial material and RCN is the cable provider for you!

There's a potential Friskies endorsement out there.

Also, you can hire Ryno to motivate your team or speak at your next event!

Hmm, the fees seem to vary, but this site suggests that not having Ryne Sandberg endorse your product is a monumental mistake!

Quote from: http://athletes-celebrities.tseworld.com/sports/baseball/ryne-sandberg.phpA Ryne Sandberg endorsement will have a far reaching effect that will hit this generation as well as the previous generation and the generation to come. Always one to play with passion and heart, Sandberg's 10 successive All-Star appearances are an endorsement to the type of ball player he is. His number 23 was only the fourth Cub number ever retired, which says a lot considering how storied the Chicago Cubs franchise is.

In his defense, Domonic Brown is terrible at baseball, particularly the parts that involve swinging a bat or catching a baseball.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2014, 02:36:33 AM »

$2000 per word.  "I'm out of here.  If any of you contact me again, I'm calling the Police." is fifteen words.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2014, 03:52:22 PM

Ryne and I didn't last long together. About a year after he came on board, I bolted for AMCORE Bank. 5 years after that, both Nat City and AMCORE failed. Looks like one thing I got right was not sticking with a company that would pay Ryno to be a spokesman.

Nat City's IL head honcho was a major Cubs fanboy. Got me to have lunch with Ron Santo, tho.  Pretty sure he signed Ryno just to be able to spend time with him.

QuoteIs there a more worthless hitter than Eric Karros? In the 5 hole, he hit .362/.400/.536 during July. He hit 2 home runs. He had a grand total of *7* RBI. And he only scored 9 runs. So he doesn't drive in runs, he doesn't score runs, but he has to play every day because he's tearing the cover off the ball. He then kills the Cubs with two brutal bases loaded/less than two out ABs (GIDP, short fly to right). Until he either causes guys to cross the plate or starts crossing the plate himself, I don't want to see this guy in uniform.

That's our Chuck!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2014, 09:09:06 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 05, 2014, 08:49:23 AM

QuoteIs there a more worthless hitter than Eric Karros? In the 5 hole, he hit .362/.400/.536 during July. He hit 2 home runs. He had a grand total of *7* RBI. And he only scored 9 runs. So he doesn't drive in runs, he doesn't score runs, but he has to play every day because he's tearing the cover off the ball. He then kills the Cubs with two brutal bases loaded/less than two out ABs (GIDP, short fly to right). Until he either causes guys to cross the plate or starts crossing the plate himself, I don't want to see this guy in uniform.

That's our Chuck!

Wow.  Brilliant satire!  Except, it wasn't.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2014, 03:16:44 PM

We could get George Hutchins for airfare and dinner a pack of Lantz Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers.

more accurated'd
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »

That's our Chuck!

I'm sure he'll be around shortly to own up to it, like always.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2014, 09:58:22 AM »
Waaaaay back in the day (1998) there used to be a pretty good Cubs newsletter called "Between The Vines" that I subscribed to. The content was usually pretty solid, except for the fact that in june of that year they kept beating the drum about Mark Grace not driving in any runs during June of that year.

It was finally pointed out to them that it's pretty hard for a guy who doesn't his a lot of home runs to get many RBI when the guy in front of him was setting a record for home runs in a month.

So just because we have our Chuck, it doesn't mean he's the only Chuck.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 05, 2014, 09:09:06 AM

That's our Chuck!

I'm trying to figure out who Chuck wanted in the lineup instead of Karros. Hee Sop and his .532 post-concussion OPS? A not-yet-acquired Randall Simon?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 05, 2014, 10:43:10 AM

That's our Chuck!

I'm trying to figure out who Chuck wanted in the lineup instead of Karros. Hee Sop and his .532 post-concussion OPS? A not-yet-acquired Randall Simon?

If memory serves, Chuck was in the midst of a multi-year toy-throwing, petulant tantrum that the Cubs hadn't acquired Jim Thome.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 05, 2014, 11:01:51 AM

That's our Chuck!

If memory serves, Chuck was in the midst of a multi-year toy-throwing, petulant tantrum that the Cubs hadn't acquired Jim Thome.

That is indeed correct:

QuoteNot getting Jim Thome for 2003 was a massive mistake. Yes, you would not have had Derrek Lee in 2004 or 2005, but Hee Seop Choi could have been moved for bullpen help. And you wouldn't have had Eric Karros in 2003. Instead you would have had Thome at a home town discount and 47 HR, 131 RBI, .266/.385/.573 in 2003 and 42 HR, 105 RBI, .274/.396/.581 in 2004. You could have lived without Derrek Lee.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 05, 2014, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 05, 2014, 11:01:51 AM

That's our Chuck!

That is indeed correct:

QuoteNot getting Jim Thome for 2003 was a massive mistake. Yes, you would not have had Derrek Lee in 2004 or 2005, but Hee Seop Choi could have been moved for bullpen help. And you wouldn't have had Eric Karros in 2003. Instead you would have had Thome at a home town discount and 47 HR, 131 RBI, .266/.385/.573 in 2003 and 42 HR, 105 RBI, .274/.396/.581 in 2004. You could have lived without Derrek Lee.

JUST LOOK ALL AT THOSE RBIs THE CUBS COULD OF HAD.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.