News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Sci-Fi  ( 10,193 )

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Sci-Fi
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 03, 2010, 02:49:41 PM
Two recommendations:

Spin, by Robert Charles Wilson.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon.

Great books, the both of them.

I own this one. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on February 03, 2010, 05:05:50 PM
Two recommendations:

I own this one. 

The best part of this post is what it doesn't say.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 03, 2010, 06:46:39 PM
Two recommendations:

I own this one. 

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 08:11:08 AM »
Quote from: flannj on February 03, 2010, 11:31:10 PM
Two recommendations:

I own this one. 

I don't know if I quite get it. Are you trying to say Chad rents his books from his parents?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 04, 2010, 08:11:08 AM
Quote from: flannj on February 03, 2010, 11:31:10 PM
Two recommendations:

I own this one. 

I don't know if I quite get it. Are you trying to say Chad rents his books from his parents?

If only there was a place to rent books, like a Blockbuster or something.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »
Two recommendations:

I own this one. 

I've bizarro Tdubbs'd it. Very good, but not as good as this one (WARNING: 37.5% of thread consists of KurtEvans posts).

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »
Bumping this thread because I just finished Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson.

For a book that's about, in part, an internet subculture/sensation, it holds up pretty well in 2010. 

I know Gibson's much better known for Neuromancer - wondering if this is a must-read?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 01:19:19 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on November 16, 2010, 01:07:33 PM
Bumping this thread because I just finished Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson.

For a book that's about, in part, an internet subculture/sensation, it holds up pretty well in 2010. 

I know Gibson's much better known for Neuromancer - wondering if this is a must-read?

If you enjoyed Pattern Recognition, now's a great time to finish up the arc with
Spook Country and Zero history.  They aren't sequels in the strict sense but threads
of the first two culminate in the third.  I always find Gibson both insightful and
entertaining. 

I love his earlier cyberpunk novels.  I rarely revisit books, but I've read them all
multiple times.  I highly recommend them all in approximate order that he wrote
them.  Not only due to some character interleaving, but because I think he
managed to develop a real universe (or setting or microcosm if you'd rather since
it's mostly southern california based and never beyond low earth orbit) and
following along as he creates from book to book adds another meta level to the
experience.  Don't let my pitchfork level, probably misguided, over analysis push
you away from the fact that his books are very entertaining with multidimensional
characters and a ton of action.

His latest three have somehow managed to move backwards in time from cyberpunk
to the 'near future' setting wise but at the same time are so much more modern.  I
think cyberpunk, as much as I love it, spoke to the concern that ubiquitous access to
data would lead more to increased oppression as power structures harnessed and
exploited the data to perpetuate themselves.  Instead it has mostly lead to more boring
classic commercial exploitation and assholes like us uniting in a common interest (in this
case the Cubs) and instead spending all our time have the same generic conversations
that still happen in bars, dorm rooms, parents' basements, and such.  It's a lot more
interesting to explore the concept of the disenfranchised regaining meaning, importance,
and control versus some stupid bullshit about twitter or facebook or something.  I'm sure
Douglas Coupland or someone is giving it a shot and I'm sure I don't give a shit.  Gibson
has moved on to far more relevant ideas about things like the interdependency and feedback
loops in our society and who, if anyone, really controls things at this point.  He doesn't
present answers, he doesn't even directly bring up the questions.  He writes entertaining
fiction, but the concepts are in there somewhere.

Gibson and Iain M Banks (but never Iain Banks) are my two favorite living novelists, I
recommend them to pretty much everyone and it was awesome that they both recently
released novels.

Anyone have any recent cyberpunk or (a guilty pleasure of mine) space opera type
recommendations?  I'd even settle for some decent options.  So much of it is garbage
sadly, but I love anytime there is something decent to read in either genre.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 05:38:14 AM »
Quote from: Pre on December 15, 2010, 01:19:19 AM

If you enjoyed Pattern Recognition, now's a great time to finish up the arc with
Spook Country and Zero history.  They aren't sequels in the strict sense but threads
of the first two culminate in the third.  I always find Gibson both insightful and
entertaining. 

I love his earlier cyberpunk novels.  I rarely revisit books, but I've read them all
managed to develop a real universe (or setting or microcosm if you'd rather since
experience.  Don't let my pitchfork level, probably misguided, over analysis push
you away from the fact that his books are very entertaining with multidimensional

to the 'near future' setting wise but at the same time are so much more modern.  I
think cyberpunk, as much as I love it, spoke to the concern that ubiquitous access to
exploited the data to perpetuate themselves.  Instead it has mostly lead to more boring
classic commercial exploitation and assholes like us uniting in a common interest (in this
case the Cubs) and instead spending all our time have the same generic conversations
that still happen in bars, dorm rooms, parents' basements, and such.  It's a lot more
interesting to explore the concept of the disenfranchised regaining meaning, importance,
and control versus some stupid bullshit about twitter or facebook or something.  I'm sure
Douglas Coupland or someone is giving it a shot and I'm sure I don't give a shit.  Gibson
has moved on to far more relevant ideas about things like the interdependency and feedback
loops in our society and who, if anyone, really controls things at this point.  He doesn't
present answers, he doesn't even directly bring up the questions.  He writes entertaining

Gibson and Iain M Banks (but never Iain Banks) are my two favorite living novelists, I
recommend them to pretty much everyone and it was awesome that they both recently
released novels.

Anyone have any recent cyberpunk or (a guilty pleasure of mine) space opera type
recommendations?  I'd even settle for some decent options.  So much of it is garbage

Obviously you're a fucking loser, but this Spook book seems cool.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »

entertaining. 

released novels.

Miss you.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »

entertaining. 

released novels.

About 50 pages into Neuromancer right now, but looking forward to Spook Country after this.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"