News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 195,513 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1140 on: December 28, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 28, 2015, 09:42:41 PM
Quote from: Bort on December 28, 2015, 07:36:27 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 28, 2015, 07:32:41 PM

Just spitballing here, but if you guys don't like Brett, why not start your own Cubs site?

Any moron can start a sports blog.

I've started and quit more blogs than I care to count.

Yeah, but isn't it time for another?

I'm thinking of branching out into starting and quitting podcasts.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1141 on: December 28, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 28, 2015, 07:22:21 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 28, 2015, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: Eli on December 28, 2015, 01:41:14 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 28, 2015, 12:57:10 PM
I'm sorry for forcing you to follow me around critiquing my flood of thoughts (?). I'm also sorry for forcing you to read the thread of things we find unreadable against your will where you unexpectedly were confronted with something someone found unreadable. And I'm sorry you don't find the bizarrely personal introductions to news about the Cubs as out-of-place and therefore funny as I do. And I'm sorry for posting it in the space where posting unreadable things (like this post) is clearly unexpected and not allowed. Are you okay?

Now imagine Brett saying this to you.

I did, and I thanked him for pointing out that all my personal stories don't really belong on my Cubs news aggregation site and I can get more readers by staying focused on the site's stated mission. Everything is fine now.

He has like 50,000 Twitter followers, gets more pageviews than any other Cubs site and has been able to make the blog his full-time job. It's entirely possible that the personal angle -- meaning, that people feel like they know and maybe even like Brett -- is part of the reason for that.

Well.  Opening Day can't come soon e-fucking-nough.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1142 on: December 29, 2015, 08:26:41 AM »
I'm sorry for forcing you to follow me around critiquing my flood of thoughts (?). I'm also sorry for forcing you to read the thread of things we find unreadable against your will where you unexpectedly were confronted with something someone found unreadable. And I'm sorry you don't find the bizarrely personal introductions to news about the Cubs as out-of-place and therefore funny as I do. And I'm sorry for posting it in the space where posting unreadable things (like this post) is clearly unexpected and not allowed. Are you okay?

I did, and I thanked him for pointing out that all my personal stories don't really belong on my Cubs news aggregation site and I can get more readers by staying focused on the site's stated mission. Everything is fine now.

He has like 50,000 Twitter followers, gets more pageviews than any other Cubs site and has been able to make the blog his full-time job. It's entirely possible that the personal angle -- meaning, that people feel like they know and maybe even like Brett -- is part of the reason for that.

These are valid points.  It doesn't mean we have to like the style because, to his credit, his output is what we seek, and he delivers.  So what if we have to cut through the chaff to get there?  Speaking for myself, I think I got spoiled by the Head Moran and his uncanny, consistent ability to entertain while  rarely or never dropping any hints of taking himself too seriously--a trap which 99%  of every other blogger that's ever written (including myself, in spades) eventually falls prey to.  I still can't get close to TCI thanks to being so blown back by the wave of self-righteousness that's been coming from there the last 2 years and that's a shame because until the Hawks became a pain-in-the-ass-dynasty-with-a-dumbfuck-coach I'd have put Fels on the same level as Dolan in that regard.  Something something don't make the ideal the enemy of the good something something, I'll take what I can get from the Cubs blogosphere, especially now that the Cubs are good.  #teambrett
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1143 on: December 29, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 29, 2015, 08:26:41 AM

These are valid points.  It doesn't mean we have to like the style because, to his credit, his output is what we seek, and he delivers.  So what if we have to cut through the chaff to get there?  Speaking for myself, I think I got spoiled by the Head Moran and his uncanny, consistent ability to entertain while  rarely or never dropping any hints of taking himself too seriously--a trap which 99%  of every other blogger that's ever written (including myself, in spades) eventually falls prey to.  I still can't get close to TCI thanks to being so blown back by the wave of self-righteousness that's been coming from there the last 2 years and that's a shame because until the Hawks became a pain-in-the-ass-dynasty-with-a-dumbfuck-coach I'd have put Fels on the same level as Dolan in that regard.  Something something don't make the ideal the enemy of the good something something, I'll take what I can get from the Cubs blogosphere, especially now that the Cubs are good.  #teambrett

Andy also posts like once a month, and that's if it is a good month. Brett is committed to churning out daily content. A lot of it stupid, yes, but those of us who can't wait for this team and wish to consume all variety of Cubs media this side of Yellon and the Sun Times idiots are grateful for it. When you post that much you're going to end up filling space with needless personal information. If David Ross had gotten a few more starts last year I'd have probably confessed to all of those hookers I'd murdered eventually.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1144 on: December 29, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 29, 2015, 08:32:56 AM

Andy also posts like once a month, and that's if it is a good month. Brett is committed to churning out daily content. A lot of it stupid, yes, but those of us who can't wait for this team and wish to consume all variety of Cubs media this side of Yellon and the Sun Times idiots are grateful for it. When you post that much you're going to end up filling space with needless personal information. If David Ross had gotten a few more starts last year I'd have probably confessed to all of those hookers I'd murdered eventually.

I meant back when the Daily Doses were daily, which of course was only in-season.  Nobody's ever written about the Cubs on a near-daily basis in the offseason to my knowledge and that's certainly going to stretch the most entertaining writer thin, point taken.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1145 on: December 29, 2015, 08:50:35 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 29, 2015, 08:36:00 AM

I meant back when the Daily Doses were daily, which of course was only in-season.  Nobody's ever written about the Cubs on a near-daily basis in the offseason to my knowledge and that's certainly going to stretch the most entertaining writer thin, point taken.

Ahh, when daily doses were actually daily. Desipio was the first website I'd check upon getting home from school in the Spring and Fall. In hindsight I'd have probably turned out to be less of a disgusting human being if I'd just spent that time surfing for pr0n.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1146 on: December 29, 2015, 09:23:47 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 29, 2015, 08:50:35 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 29, 2015, 08:36:00 AM

Ahh, when daily doses were actually daily. Desipio was the first website I'd check upon getting home from school in the Spring and Fall. In hindsight I'd have probably turned out to be less of a disgusting human being if I'd just spent that time surfing for pr0n.

The only way to get through a 162 game season and a seeming interminable offseason with a blog is to make it a team effort. To Alvin's credit, he at least recognizes that. Sure, he has horrendous writers, but the issue isn't with the concept. It's with the execution.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1147 on: January 13, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »

Is it too early to hate the Los Angeles Rams?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1148 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 13, 2016, 11:50:19 AM

I feel legitimately bad for St. Louis Rams fans, if they still exist, and Deadspin tells me they do. That city did everything they could reasonably do to keep that team and the NFL never once negotiated with them in good faith. Fuck the NFL.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1149 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »

Also What we lost, what we never had etc.:

QuoteIf people talked about Detroit the way they regularly do about St. Louis right now, they'd be excoriated for it, and rightly so. This is a proud city with lifelong residents who are working their tails off to make it through an extremely difficult period. (And making some progress.) To ignore their efforts because you didn't like Tony La Russa and feel like making a cheap joke on social media is insulting in the extreme.

BWAHAHAHA

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1150 on: January 13, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 13, 2016, 11:55:02 AM

Also What we lost, what we never had etc.:

QuoteIf people talked about Detroit the way they regularly do about St. Louis right now, they'd be excoriated for it, and rightly so. This is a proud city with lifelong residents who are working their tails off to make it through an extremely difficult period. (And making some progress.) To ignore their efforts because you didn't like Tony La Russa and feel like making a cheap joke on social media is insulting in the extreme.

BWAHAHAHA

OK, now I hate the LA Rams a lot less.
TIME TO POST!

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1151 on: January 13, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
The St. Louis Jaguars has a nice ring to it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1152 on: January 13, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1153 on: January 13, 2016, 05:25:24 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 13, 2016, 05:14:24 PM
Is this really on the official Cubs' website?

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/161848066/cubs-rays-trade-possibilities

Phildo really has a chub to deal McKinney.
TIME TO POST!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1154 on: January 25, 2016, 09:05:41 PM »
This isn't totally unreadable, but thoughts on The Athletic? You know, if anyone has any thoughts about it at all.

They have some good writers and I hope the site succeeds, but for $10/month, I'm skeptical. The NY Times is $15/month. Netflix is $7.99/month. Adobe has software plans for $10/month that require thousands of hours of development and maintenance to produce. It seems like a pretty steep cost for local sportswriting given all of the completely free (or, rather, ad-supported) alternatives that are out there.