News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 195,422 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1395 on: May 17, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 16, 2016, 02:05:37 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2016, 01:14:18 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 16, 2016, 12:38:20 PM
http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2016/05/16/javy-baez-is-the-skynet-of-prospects/

QuoteKen Schultz is a stand-up comedian and Chicago ex-pat currently living in New York City. He misses Cubs baseball, Gino's East Pizza, and political graft every day.

QuoteTags: Humor, Javier Baez, Jokes, Self Awareness

I need an irony ruling from CT on that last tag.

Quote from: The Madcap Ken Schultz
This wasn't a case of Corey Patterson continuing to swing like a power hitter year after year despite a slugging percentage that made you think "I didn't know Baseball Reference had a comp for Eddie Gaedel."

Even I haven't gone Eddie Gaedel on you guys.

Somewhat hackneyed metaphors notwithstanding, that was not actually totally unreadable.

Those are similes, Mr. Pedant.  And while I made it through the first 2, I couldn't get past the Eddie Gaedel crack. I couldn't finish it so I won't rule on the irony of the situation, but this sure as shit was unreadable.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1396 on: May 17, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 17, 2016, 04:05:58 PM
http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2016/05/16/javy-baez-is-the-skynet-of-prospects/

QuoteKen Schultz is a stand-up comedian and Chicago ex-pat currently living in New York City. He misses Cubs baseball, Gino's East Pizza, and political graft every day.

This wasn't a case of Corey Patterson continuing to swing like a power hitter year after year despite a slugging percentage that made you think "I didn't know Baseball Reference had a comp for Eddie Gaedel."

Somewhat hackneyed metaphors notwithstanding, that was not actually totally unreadable.

Those are similes, Mr. Pedant.  And while I made it through the first 2, I couldn't get past the Eddie Gaedel crack. I couldn't finish it so I won't rule on the irony of the situation, but this sure as shit was unreadable.

Why don't you eat, like, a bag of dicks?

QuoteA simile is a metaphor, but not all metaphors are similes.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1397 on: May 17, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2016, 07:31:28 PM

We get it, you think this guy is the second coming of Dave Barry.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1398 on: May 17, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 17, 2016, 07:39:47 PM

Who're we taking about now?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1399 on: May 18, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2016, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: CT III on May 17, 2016, 07:39:47 PM

Who're we taking about now?

Bort's Grandmother.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1400 on: May 19, 2016, 11:07:33 PM »
Michael Cerami continues the BN tradition of over-explaining literally everything.

QuoteFor the Cubs, the neighborhood, and the fans' sake (remember: revenue to the Cubs ultimately goes back into the organization), let's hope that doesn't happen.

Yes, but who owns the Cubs?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1401 on: June 09, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »
Keeping this mostly off Twitter (oops)

But Wendy Thurm, an extremely whiny Giants fan who writes for Sporting News, wrote this: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/giants-red-sox-world-series-matchup-2016-potential-buster-posey-david-price-bumgarner-ortiz/oc2e2h6wrqmp1vdsvu0g99hms

It's garbage. She's awful. The end.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1402 on: June 09, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 09, 2016, 03:04:21 PM

But Wendy Thurm, an extremely whiny Giants fan who writes for Sporting News, wrote this: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/giants-red-sox-world-series-matchup-2016-potential-buster-posey-david-price-bumgarner-ortiz/oc2e2h6wrqmp1vdsvu0g99hms

I mean that article is fairly innocuous but yeah the butthurt of "why is everyone talking about the team demonstrably better than us by every measurable statistic when we're the team that has even year stuff on it's side" is obvious.

Last year she tweeted "real nice of MLB to let the Cubs play 19 straight games in Chicago in the middle of a pennant race" after the four game sweep of the Giants, which is just hilarious butthurt on so many levels.

1)MLB clearly thought the Cubs team that had averaged 96 losses a year was going to be in a pennant race in August and wanted to help them out, so they scheduled a series against the White Sox in between two home stands.

2)The Cubs had the best fucking road record in baseball at the time, so their success was hardly attributable to homefield advantage

3)It's baseball, everyone has to play 162 fucking games, there is no such thing as a soft schedule

4) YOU LOST ALL FOUR FUCKING GAMES. ALL FOUR. There is nothing to say about that other than clearly your team was not as good. Any whining just seems like butthurt.

Then she immediately played the "all these Cubs fans ranting about my incredibly stupid, whiny, butthurt tweet are misogynists" card.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1403 on: June 09, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »

Looking forward to her next article, "Why Isn't Everyone Talking About My Team Yet?"
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1404 on: June 09, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on June 09, 2016, 03:30:02 PM

Looking forward to her next article, "Why Isn't Everyone Talking About My Team Yet?"
I love her paragraph explaining how relief pitcher "Lopez did his job" in the top of the seventh by allowing the tying run to score. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1405 on: June 10, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 09, 2016, 04:43:02 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on June 09, 2016, 03:30:02 PM

I love her paragraph explaining how relief pitcher "Lopez did his job" in the top of the seventh by allowing the tying run to score. 

She also managed to fit hacky baseball prose like "around the horn" and "behind the dish" in this piece.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1406 on: June 10, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Jesse Rogers is fucking obsessed with Chris Coghlan.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1407 on: June 10, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 10, 2016, 03:00:00 PM
Jesse Rogers is fucking obsessed with Chris Coghlan.

He /iswas obsessed with TLS, too.. So, marginal white players? Makes sense

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1408 on: June 15, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »
Anything Craig Calcaterra writes or says

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1409 on: June 15, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »
Phil Rogers, visionary inventor of the +/- offseason success analysis algorithm and somehow still being paid to write about baseball, is at it again:

I'm sure the formulas are more complicated than this, but the simplified version goes like this:

Rondon + Chapman + Pedro Strop > Rondon + Strop + Travis Wood.

Or maybe like this:

Rondon + Chapman + Miller > Davis + Herrera + Madson (and pretty much every other bullpen in baseball history).