News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 195,180 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #720 on: April 15, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 15, 2014, 12:59:38 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 15, 2014, 12:56:23 PM
Quote from: Yeti on April 15, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/sports/baseball/as-cubs-wander-into-the-bronx-theyve-never-been-worse.html?_r=0

I love when he quoted Tom Ricketts on why they're so bad for a while and then he just completely ignored that:
QuoteHis boss, the Cubs owner Tom Ricketts, has signed off on the strategy. "If you listen to the people who want you to make short-term decisions, I think what you can easily do is build a team that wins 83 games a year for the next 10 years," he said on the same show. "Our fans want a World Series."

Indeed we do. But must we suffer so in the meantime? Hard as it may be to fathom, winning 83 games would be deceptively less agonizing than winning 60.

QuoteThe Cubs come to Yankee Stadium on Tuesday and Wednesday, an extremely rare dust-up in the Bronx between two of baseball's oldest, most storied franchises...

The 2nd and 16th oldest, to be specific.

Assuming you even acknowledge Ban Johnson's upstart American League.

I do not. I think that explains why my favorite team is one that has refused to participate in that World's Series Exhibition with the AL for a good 68 years now.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #721 on: April 21, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »
This gem was published in today's Sun Times by someone named Seth Gruen. 

"With 145 games left, consistency in the areas the Reds excelled are still being refined on the North Side."

"Consistency...are"?  What happened to the words the words "in which"?

Maybe the author is really Seth Green.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #722 on: May 20, 2014, 09:59:03 AM »
I am Gordon, King of the Totally Unreadable:

QuoteSo can Castro imagine winning four World Series in the first five years of his career, as Jeter did?

"No."

Stupid question.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #723 on: June 04, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
John Kass with something about the Slender Man, vampires, and I don't know what the hell else.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-kass-met-0604-20140604,0,2090261,full.column

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #724 on: June 20, 2014, 09:08:25 AM »
I've obviously been on the side of trying to keep Samardzija, but holy jebus this is some unreadable trash.

First we get "Ivy League" used as some sort of weird, Palin-style insult.

QuoteAnd regardless of the players the Cubs get in return, it's going to be hard for even the Ivy League front-office guys to rationalize letting this guy go if he winds up pitching somebody else into the playoffs and finishing off an All-Star season.

Also, "regardless of the players the Cubs get in return?" Mike Trout for Samardzija? HARD TO RATIONALIZE.

And based on this, Gordo needs new sources because I don't believe this story one bit.

QuoteAccording to sources, when Samardzija proposed $100 million earlier this year, and the Cubs were nearly $40 million below that, his camp talked about coming down by $20 million.

The Cubs huddled and countered by raising their offer by $500,000.

It's not even really worth diving into the rest of it. Gordo has some incurable Epstink derangement thing going on.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #725 on: June 20, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 20, 2014, 09:08:25 AM
I've obviously been on the side of trying to keep Samardzija, but holy jebus this is some unreadable trash.

QuoteAnd regardless of the players the Cubs get in return, it's going to be hard for even the Ivy League front-office guys to rationalize letting this guy go if he winds up pitching somebody else into the playoffs and finishing off an All-Star season.

Also, "regardless of the players the Cubs get in return?" Mike Trout for Samardzija? HARD TO RATIONALIZE.

And based on this, Gordo needs new sources because I don't believe this story one bit.

QuoteAccording to sources, when Samardzija proposed $100 million earlier this year, and the Cubs were nearly $40 million below that, his camp talked about coming down by $20 million.

It's not even really worth diving into the rest of it. Gordo has some incurable Epstink derangement thing going on.

Jesse Rodgers has taken this same, not-really-supported with facts position that trading Dempster/Garza was one thing, but trading JEFF DAMN SAMARDZIJA would be a bridge too far because he's homegrown and went to Notre Dame and is an amazing leader and the clubhouse would REVOLT all that good stuff. I totally get being skeptical of trading a potential ace, but at this point I feel like these guys are just trolling. It's like they thought when Theo came to town they were all going to be rich and famous and selling books and going on Charlie Rose about a Cubs World Series within a year or two of his arrival and they're pissed that their ship hasn't come in yet. That, or they just miss the jovial old tub of lard who used to run the show and would throw back a beer or 12 with them . I like to picture Gordo and Jesse asking Hoyer if he wants to go grab a beer or shoot some pool or something after the game, and him telling them to fuck off.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #726 on: June 20, 2014, 09:21:33 AM »

If he winds up pitching somebody else into the playoffs? If? IF??? That's the fucking point of trading him. Of course he's going to play for a contender. That's who is going to give up prospects for help now. That's why a trade makes sense in the first place. It would be more shocking if he didn't end up in the playoffs after he traded. I can't even imagine how shit like this gets printed.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #727 on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2014, 09:21:33 AM

If he winds up pitching somebody else into the playoffs? If? IF??? That's the fucking point of trading him. Of course he's going to play for a contender. That's who is going to give up prospects for help now. That's why a trade makes sense in the first place. It would be more shocking if he didn't end up in the playoffs after he traded. I can't even imagine how shit like this gets printed.

I'm personally on the "hope his arm falls off in his first start after the trade" camp. So maybe that'll de-rail the playoff hopes of whichever contender gets him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #728 on: June 20, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 20, 2014, 09:20:27 AM
Jesse Rodgers has taken this same, not-really-supported with facts position that trading Dempster/Garza was one thing, but trading JEFF DAMN SAMARDZIJA would be a bridge too far because he's homegrown and went to Notre Dame and is an amazing leader and the clubhouse would REVOLT all that good stuff.

Yeah. I'm sure the clubhouse would be burnt to the ground over a guy who's made it crystal clear that he's looking forward to pitching somewhere else getting sent to pitch somewhere else.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #729 on: June 20, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 20, 2014, 09:38:46 AM
Jesse Rodgers has taken this same, not-really-supported with facts position that trading Dempster/Garza was one thing, but trading JEFF DAMN SAMARDZIJA would be a bridge too far because he's homegrown and went to Notre Dame and is an amazing leader and the clubhouse would REVOLT all that good stuff.

Yeah. I'm sure the clubhouse would be burnt to the ground over a guy who's made it crystal clear that he's looking forward to pitching somewhere else getting sent to pitch somewhere else.

I actually bet they wouldn't care that much
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #730 on: June 20, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on June 20, 2014, 10:07:30 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 20, 2014, 09:38:46 AM

I actually bet they wouldn't care that much

When this team is good there won't be many guys left who even remember the Great Clubhouse Revolt of 2014 and those will be guys like Rizzo who know what's going on and what the Cubs are trying to do anyway.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #731 on: June 20, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »

Jesse Rodgers has taken this same, not-really-supported with facts position that trading Dempster/Garza was one thing, but trading JEFF DAMN SAMARDZIJA would be a bridge too far because he's homegrown and went to Notre Dame and is an amazing leader and the clubhouse would REVOLT all that good stuff. I totally get being skeptical of trading a potential ace, but at this point I feel like these guys are just trolling. It's like they thought when Theo came to town they were all going to be rich and famous and selling books and going on Charlie Rose about a Cubs World Series within a year or two of his arrival and they're pissed that their ship hasn't come in yet. That, or they just miss the jovial old tub of lard who used to run the show and would throw back a beer or 12 with them . I like to picture Gordo and Jesse asking Hoyer if he wants to go grab a beer or shoot some pool or something after the game, and him telling them to fuck off.

I think it's just that with the team languishing 10 games under .500 again and attendance way down, they know that nobody cares about the team and the only way they can get anybody to read their shit is to A.) learn something about the guys on the farm which might take a few days worth of work for a few days worth of content that about 100 people would read or B.) FLAME THE FUCK OUT OF THE FRONT OFFICE AND OWNERSHIP!!!! 

They chose B out of boredom. One guy who didn't is Bruce Miles and he's so bored he dicks around on Facebook in the EPSTINK IS TERRIBLE club. I kind of feel sorry for him.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #732 on: June 20, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »

I just think guys like Gordo and Jesse don't cotton towards Jepstink treating them like the dipshits they are.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #733 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:20 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 20, 2014, 12:42:37 PM

I think it's just that with the team languishing 10 games under .500 again and attendance way down, they know that nobody cares about the team and the only way they can get anybody to read their shit is to A.) learn something about the guys on the farm which might take a few days worth of work for a few days worth of content that about 100 people would read or B.) FLAME THE FUCK OUT OF THE FRONT OFFICE AND OWNERSHIP!!!! 

They chose B out of boredom. One guy who didn't is Bruce Miles and he's so bored he dicks around on Facebook in the EPSTINK IS TERRIBLE club. I kind of feel sorry for him.

Meh. Had a beer with him a few weeks ago. His kids are doing great. His youngest is on an athletic scholarship track.  And he asked me if I ever hear from Al.

He's doing just fine.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #734 on: June 20, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 20, 2014, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 20, 2014, 12:42:37 PM

Meh. Had a beer with him a few weeks ago. His kids are doing great. His youngest is on an athletic scholarship track.  And he asked me if I ever hear from Al.

He's doing just fine.

Glad to hear it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.