News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 195,111 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #975 on: May 06, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 09, 2015, 05:13:28 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 09, 2015, 05:00:52 PM
Apropos of some of the stuff we've been talking about - Miguel Montero and Cubs Blogs.

I take back all the good stuff I said about Cubs Den for the next 24 hours.

Feel.

Montero has it.  You can't measure it.  You can't really even describe it.  You just know it when you see it.

That dude types on a Hueyboard too.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #977 on: May 20, 2015, 01:43:40 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 20, 2015, 01:34:42 PM
http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2015/05/the-gravity-of-starlin-castro/

Peppering in a little discussion of BMI could really add some zazz to that article.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #978 on: May 20, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 20, 2015, 01:43:40 PM

Peppering in a little discussion of BMI could really add some zazz to that article.

Clearly we should evaluate snarky message board posts with the same gravity of someone who writes for a living. 

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #979 on: May 20, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 20, 2015, 01:45:04 PM

Clearly we should evaluate snarky message board posts with the same gravity of someone who writes for a living. 

How much gravity should we be using when evaluating snarky message board posts?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #980 on: May 20, 2015, 01:52:38 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 20, 2015, 01:48:18 PM

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #981 on: May 20, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 20, 2015, 01:52:38 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 20, 2015, 01:48:18 PM

That's a lot of gravity. How much should we be using when evaluating someone who writes for a living?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #982 on: May 20, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »

I kept waiting for that to transition into an actual point and then I could see I had reached the end of the article. What the hell?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #983 on: May 20, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 20, 2015, 02:18:33 PM

I kept waiting for that to transition into an actual point and then I could see I had reached the end of the article. What the hell?

From the second Starlin made his error last night he launched into full blown Starlin Defense Mode, and then when the others made errors he started getting into what seemed to be imaginary fights (I know, I know, pot, kettle) with people saying the Starlin error was worse than the other two.

I get that people hate Starlin for stupid reasons, and it leads to overstating things in his defense, but last night would have been a good night to just let that one go. He's been garbage for a month now at the plate and he made a pretty inexcusable error. Let people be mad.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #984 on: May 20, 2015, 02:31:42 PM »

I thought the point was that people like bitching about Starlin so much that the criticism became too extreme, so people like me started complaining about the Starlin criticism to the point that people over-defend him. As for Jupiter, I guess it gets hit with meteors or asteroids or whatever because of its outrageous gravitational pull. So while people are busy throwing poisonous darts at Starlin, Bryant and Russell can just run around making run-causing errors in the infield and nobody says anything. I guess Arguello thinks that's good for their development or something but wait one full year of service time and if they're still doing shit like they did last night, Huey will certainly speak up.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #985 on: May 20, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2015, 02:29:00 PM

From the second Starlin made his error last night he launched into full blown Starlin Defense Mode, and then when the others made errors he started getting into what seemed to be imaginary fights (I know, I know, pot, kettle) with people saying the Starlin error was worse than the other two.

I get that people hate Starlin for stupid reasons, and it leads to overstating things in his defense, but last night would have been a good night to just let that one go. He's been garbage for a month now at the plate and he made a pretty inexcusable error. Let people be mad.

The Russell error was worse than both because he wasn't supposed to be there and he called off two other guys to make it. I'm not sure why Fowler and Castro let him have it other than they didn't expect him to be there and wanted to avoid a collision. And yes, I get that he's a young player used to playing shortstop and going after every ball he can. That's a coaching moment. Whereas Starlin just missed a routine grounder and Bryant probably belongs in left field.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #986 on: May 20, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 20, 2015, 02:34:00 PM

The Russell error was worse than both because he wasn't supposed to be there and he called off two other guys to make it. I'm not sure why Fowler and Castro let him have it other than they didn't expect him to be there and wanted to avoid a collision. And yes, I get that he's a young player used to playing shortstop and going after every ball he can. That's a coaching moment. Whereas Starlin just missed a routine grounder and Bryant probably belongs in left field.

I am sure there are people who hate Starlin Castro who called it the worst error of the three. I think it was the dumbest of the three in that it was the easiest play and he just fucked it up, I agree with you that Russell calling off two guys with a better shot at the play is worse.

That said is it really wrong to hold rookies to a different standard than a six year veteran just in general?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #987 on: May 20, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2015, 02:39:07 PM

I am sure there are people who hate Starlin Castro who called it the worst error of the three. I think it was the dumbest of the three in that it was the easiest play and he just fucked it up, I agree with you that Russell calling off two guys with a better shot at the play is worse.

That said is it really wrong to hold rookies to a different standard than a six year veteran just in general?

Castro's error wasn't dumb. It was a physical error. Like a receiver missing a ball that hit him in his hands and is then intercepted vs. a receiver who ran the wrong route, wasn't where he was supposed to be and jumped for a ball that wasn't his, causing it to bounce away and get intercepted. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #988 on: May 20, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 20, 2015, 03:30:15 PM

Castro's error wasn't dumb. It was a physical error. Like a receiver missing a ball that hit him in his hands and is then intercepted vs. a receiver who ran the wrong route, wasn't where he was supposed to be and jumped for a ball that wasn't his, causing it to bounce away and get intercepted. 

Fine, but I'd get mad at that guy too, and most definitely wouldn't write a post criticizing his critics if he'd failed to break 50 yards receiving or get a touchdown in any game that month.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #989 on: May 20, 2015, 05:35:27 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2015, 03:42:20 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 20, 2015, 03:30:15 PM

Fine, but I'd get mad at that guy too, and most definitely wouldn't write a post criticizing his critics if he'd failed to break 50 yards receiving or get a touchdown in any game that month.

Fair enough.