News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Still Game  ( 1,466 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Still Game
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:36:57 AM »
BBC Scotland has made six or seven seasons of this sitcom about two old widowers living in a shitty council block in the West end of Glasgow, and two of the middle seasons (for reasons which I don't fully understand) are now available Globally on Netflix.  The episodes have CC subtitles, so you don't have to worry about not understanding what they're saying (this would genuinely be an issue for most of you, I think), and if you can get past the culture shock, you might just enjoy what is one of my very, very favourite TV series ever.  There are some fantastic characters, the humour is pretty black and risqué, and they strike a nice balance between comedy and pathos.

Slak, if MSlak hasn't seen this, you should turn her on to it: I think it might be right up her street.  The rest of you, give it a go: you might just enjoy it.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Still Game
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 13, 2015, 05:36:57 AM
BBC Scotland has made six or seven seasons of this sitcom about two old widowers living in a shitty council block in the West end of Glasgow, and two of the middle seasons (for reasons which I don't fully understand) are now available Globally on Netflix.  The episodes have CC subtitles, so you don't have to worry about not understanding what they're saying (this would genuinely be an issue for most of you, I think), and if you can get past the culture shock, you might just enjoy what is one of my very, very favourite TV series ever.  There are some fantastic characters, the humour is pretty black and risqué, and they strike a nice balance between comedy and pathos.

Slak, if MSlak hasn't seen this, you should turn her on to it: I think it might be right up her street.  The rest of you, give it a go: you might just enjoy it.

What neighborhood? Do you know? Her father lives in Shawlands.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2015, 07:42:15 AM
Quote from: Tonker on September 13, 2015, 05:36:57 AM

What neighborhood? Do you know? Her father lives in Shawlands.

It's a fictional estate called "Craiglang", which is actually little bits of all sorts of places.  Some of the early stuff was shot not too far from your father-in-law in Nitshill, but most of it's filmed North of the river in Maryhill, Ruchill, Possilpark and so on.  I pretty much guarantee he'll have watched it at some point - it's beyond popular back home.  They made a comeback last year by doing a stage show in Glasgow: having originally planned to do a couple of nights but tickets sold out in seconds and they ended up selling out the Hydro for about four weeks.  Madness.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
Thanks for this, Tonk.

Could I trouble you to start a thread, in which you recommend any or all British comedies that strike your fancy? Whenever you remember one, just throw something in there. Or make a list. Or come over and let's cuddle up with some Netflix. Nudge nudge.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 22, 2015, 11:19:53 AM
Thanks for this, Tonk.

Could I trouble you to start a thread, in which you recommend any or all British comedies that strike your fancy? Whenever you remember one, just throw something in there. Or make a list. Or come over and let's cuddle up with some Netflix. Nudge nudge.

Heil Honey I'm Home is pretty good.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16