News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Moneyball  ( 5,028 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Moneyball
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:09:23 PM »
The trailer for Moneyball has been released and, holy fuck am I already mad at myself for seeing this movie someday.

The WWTDD guy, despite being not exactly right about it, made me LOL with this:

So this guy broke all the rules and created a new system that let a small market like Oakland compete and beat teams like New York and Boston in a sport with no salary cap.

Except that he didn't create it, the system is called sabermetrics and has been around since the 1980's, and he didn't implement it in Oakland, the guy who was GM before him did (the Jonah Hill character doesn't exist), and during his 13 years as GM the A's have never won the American League much less a World Series. In fact they haven't even been above .500 in 5 years, while teams like Tampa, who are in an even smaller market and have New York and Boston in the same fucking division, were in the World Series 3 years ago.

So this movie tells the story of how the worlds most boring sport added math to create a system that doesn't work. Holy shit, can I go stand in line now?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Moneyball
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:43:11 PM »
Pretty underwhelmed by the trailer.  It looks like they're overreaching.  Unconvincing dialogue sounds like they were trying to inject drama and suspense and meaning and HIGH STAKES and UNDERDOGS!!!!!! into every line with a firehose instead of a syringe.  Jonah Hill looks absolutely ridiculous, like they tried to come up with the most clichéd nerd they possibly could.  Hopefully the actual movie is better.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:01:04 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 16, 2011, 11:43:11 PM
Pretty underwhelmed by the trailer.  It looks like they're overreaching.  Unconvincing dialogue sounds like they were trying to inject drama and suspense and meaning and HIGH STAKES and UNDERDOGS!!!!!! into every line with a firehose instead of a syringe.  Jonah Hill looks absolutely ridiculous, like they tried to come up with the most clichéd nerd they possibly could.  Hopefully the actual movie is better.

Because movies are so often better than their trailers?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:59 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 17, 2011, 01:01:04 AM

Because movies are so often better than their trailers?

No movie is better than the trailer for Doc Savage, Man of Bronze.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:26:33 AM »
It looks like they're overreaching.  Unconvincing dialogue sounds like they were trying to inject drama and suspense and meaning and HIGH STAKES and UNDERDOGS!!!!!! into every line with a firehose instead of a syringe.

Wait... Are we talking about Aaron Sorkin? This doesn't sound right at all.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »
Who gives a shit about billy beane?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:22:26 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 17, 2011, 08:26:33 AM
It looks like they're overreaching.  Unconvincing dialogue sounds like they were trying to inject drama and suspense and meaning and HIGH STAKES and UNDERDOGS!!!!!! into every line with a firehose instead of a syringe.

We're talking about Aaron Sorkin.

Aaron Sorkin?

Aaron Sorkin.

/wittybanter
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »
Quote from: BH on June 17, 2011, 10:13:06 AM
Who gives a shit about billy beane?

You will when he joins Ed Lynch as a special assistant to Jim Hendry.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 17, 2011, 10:22:26 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 17, 2011, 08:26:33 AM

We're talking about Aaron Sorkin.

Aaron Sorkin?

Aaron Sorkin.

/wittybanter

Fork making fun of someone else's banter is something something.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »

Well they did use a This Will Destroy You song in the trailer so somebody associated with this movie knows what they're doing.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
Is it too early to speculate on a Best Actor Oscar nomination for Brad Pitt based solely on this ridiculous trailer?

Of course not.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 17, 2011, 11:59:28 AM
Is it too early to speculate on a Best Actor Oscar nomination for Brad Pitt based solely on this ridiculous trailer mostly on the name of the author of the non-fiction sports book the movie was very loosely adapted from?

Of course not.

We'll see if Pitt really has a home run on his hands in September'd

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
Also...

"Reading The Comments" with Gil.

Quote from: georgieDear Brad, You used to be my all time favorite, my hero, my escape. And then... You hooked up with Angelina.. No offense, but Dude.. she is , well sort of nuts... All that blood around her neck in tubes with her x's and those wierd tatoos.. Dude, we used to think you were from Missouri... I am sure she is nice and we know she is hot.. But guy, she is , well, whaco....

Quote from: georgieI know it dosnt matter what I think, but hey, I am your average ticket buyer and hey, Angelina is , whaco.. sorry, hot is not and hot is whaco and she is hot whaco dude.. sorry, I know you got a lot of kids togather but, you better cut and run while you are STILL ALIVE.. even her dad thinks she is psycho..

Quote from: WarrenBrad Pitt is the worse actor I have ever witnessed with the same monotone voice and expressions in every movie he has ever done, in any movies Brad has been in that has done well, it has been the other actors who scored the movie. Jack Black can act. He is so funny and can really make a movie come to life. School of Rock, Rocks!

Quote from: JohnRI wonder what Angelina thinks of Brad playing an out of the closet homosexual?

Quote from: IrisTBrad Pitt makes me sick. He and his hoochie/momma Angeline...YUK. This is a woman that says she HATES Thanksgiving, and says it is a useless holiday. What A LOON. Neither of these can compare with Sandra Bullock....no way.....!!!!!!!!

Quote from: queersYuck! Another baseball movie? Really? Put it on cable.

INTERNET!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 17, 2011, 12:44:12 PM
Also...

Quote from: georgieDear Brad, You used to be my all time favorite, my hero, my escape. And then... You hooked up with Angelina.. No offense, but Dude.. she is , well sort of nuts... All that blood around her neck in tubes with her x's and those wierd tatoos.. Dude, we used to think you were from Missouri... I am sure she is nice and we know she is hot.. But guy, she is , well, whaco....

Quote from: georgieI know it dosnt matter what I think, but hey, I am your average ticket buyer and hey, Angelina is , whaco.. sorry, hot is not and hot is whaco and she is hot whaco dude.. sorry, I know you got a lot of kids togather but, you better cut and run while you are STILL ALIVE.. even her dad thinks she is psycho..

Quote from: WarrenBrad Pitt is the worse actor I have ever witnessed with the same monotone voice and expressions in every movie he has ever done, in any movies Brad has been in that has done well, it has been the other actors who scored the movie. Jack Black can act. He is so funny and can really make a movie come to life. School of Rock, Rocks!

Quote from: JohnRI wonder what Angelina thinks of Brad playing an out of the closet homosexual?

Quote from: IrisTBrad Pitt makes me sick. He and his hoochie/momma Angeline...YUK. This is a woman that says she HATES Thanksgiving, and says it is a useless holiday. What A LOON. Neither of these can compare with Sandra Bullock....no way.....!!!!!!!!

INTERNET!

Jack Black and Thanksgiving = awesome. Been saying this for years.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 17, 2011, 01:00:30 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 17, 2011, 12:44:12 PM
Also...

INTERNET!

Jack Black and Thanksgiving = awesome. Been saying this for years.

They can just get SKO if they want to stay under budget.
TIME TO POST!