News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beginners  ( 946 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Beginners
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »
This was a lesson about not believing the previews.  When we saw the previews we were lead to believe that this movie was a comedy about a 75 year old widower (Christopher Plummer) who comes out of the closet after 45  years of marriage, and  behaves rather silly in the process.  His dog understands everything that is going on and speaks in wise subtitles.  I assumed it was a vehicle for an Oscar nomination for Plummer.  That would be a good movie to see, but it wasn't this movie.  Plummer has a secondary role.  Ewan McGregor and Melanie Laurent (who has the most beautiful mouth that I have ever seen) are the stars of this movie as two people who are trying to recover from a lifetime of doubt about the likelihood of having a succesful relationship with another person.  It is touching and adult.  Yes, it is a date movie, unless you or your date have had a recent experience with a close person who died of cancer.  In which case, go see Larry Crowne.  (Or Bridesmaids, which is the best movie that I have seen this year)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)